Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Redmond´s awful form

This is not just based on today, as he only played half an hour or so, but even today you could see that Redmond is very far off his "normal" level (whatever that is).

He is being outrun, does not show much initiative in getting past his marker, no crosses (or poor crosses), etc.

Looks almost like his focus is elsewhere.

Imho, he has been pretty poor since September. Flashes now and then, but certainly nowhere enough to play for us week in, week out.

The Secret Footballers latest book has an interesting chapter about players in Redmonds mould - All pace and skill but no footballing brain!

Agreed Greg, he seems a yard off the pace, reluctant to take on defenders and his distribution,never his strong point, has been awful. He started the season on fire, a few of us were worried he would be off to Liverpool, but recently he looks like a player totally out of form. Is he perhaps carrying a niggling injury we don''t know about?

This guy lives of previous good performances, he''s lazy and blames others, he''s a bad apple. Sell sell sell...

The defensive combination of him and Martin is laughable, two players that refuse to put a challenge in!

Well...it is certainly a long time since I have seen Redmond as a counter attacking threat.

I can, honestly, not remember the last time he took on his fullback, beat him, and delivered a cross.

If someone can, enlighten me.

What I find strange is that I was watching the highlights of the previous Bournemouth game earlier and Redmond in that game looked a totally different player. What''s happened between then and now? I don''t even want to mention the Play Off final as he was sublime in that.

He isn''t on form but you lot are exaggerating it so much! We are not a one man team and, as a team, we haven''t shown much of a threat at all recently. We can''t expect him to single handedly create chances and win games for us.

He is one of our brightest players and still our top scorer (- a stat that reflects how we need to carry more of a threat AS A TEAM in the final third).

Agreed, we are not a one man team, but our setup requires wing play to stretch the opposition, so Wes and the striker , and onrushing mids, can get space in the middle.

When Redmond, not Brady/Jarvis is doing that, we never look like scoring.

It was the same at Stoke.

Bar Howsons wonder strike, did we look like scoring?

Man C in the cup, the same.

The wins over Villa and Soton, yes we got the results, but we did not play very well there either.

I think our pattern of play has been poor since the Newcastle hammering. AN changed it, it brought us some results against teams we normally would not get anything against (Arsenal, Everton, Man U), but against teams we should stand a good chance of beating, we just look completely starved of ideas.

For me, we lack the player types to play the style AN currently wants us to play. We lack grafters, those who run and tackle for the sake of it.

We have skilled players, but they are outworked in most games, so they never get a chance to "do their stuff". And when they suffer for form on top of this, it is getting very bleak indeed.

Yellow and Green, that would be all well and good if it was just perhaps this and the last game. The fact is, he has looked off his game since September and I find it concerning as, and as what has been said already, he is potentially a match winner for us!

Even with Redmond''s poor form at the minute, he would have offered so much more than Odjija. What a disgrace he was today, how many times did he not track back and leave Martin so exposed. Poor going forward and that lazy pull back for the penalty was shocking.

Who knows whats wrong with him, but it''s pretty obvious to anyone watching his contribution to the team at the momment is awful. Whatever it is I hope it gets sorted soon we cannot afford any passengers and on his day is an important player that needs to be contributing.

@Ron Obvious No he doesn''t need to go, you moron.

Grefstad, I agree that it is the whole team, which is why I think it is unfair to pin it all on Redmond. He can''t be expected to carry the whole team... Perform better? Of course, but don''t criticise him.

And, as mentioned, the team performances have been an issue since the Newcastle loss. It has worked vs the bigger teams but we must show more ambition against the lesser sides in the league. It''s almost become Hughton-esque - aiming not to lose and trying to nick a win somehow.

What happened to that promise from the Wembley performance? We were brilliant some games - like against West Ham and Stoke, but I think AN has become scared of a repeat of the Newcastle scoreline...

People have recently praised Eddie Howe for sticking to his beliefs this season, when people have called for him to change their style of play - instead tinkering with the system slightly. I think AN should learn from this and begin to attack teams again... I think we would all prefer to lose 3-0 by at least trying to play decent football rather than today''s dross.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Who knows whats wrong with him, but it''s pretty obvious to anyone watching his contribution to the team at the momment is awful [/quote]

If you ask the oracle Morty, he will say Redmond is in great shape, not off form, and is a solid contributor...would not swap him for anyone.

So no, it is not obvious to anyone watching.

But Morty-mocking aside, if we could find a suitable replacement, I would not be too sorry seing Redmond go in this window. Will surely be sold in the summer, since he will not (apparantly) sign a new contract.

Sadly Leicester snapped up Gray from Birmingham...

I just think that we need a decent back-up right winger.

At the moment, we are over reliant on Redmond. Therefore, if he is off form, we can suitably replace him. Whilst he has done well, I don''t think Odjija is a right winger.

VOO is a box-to-box midfielder, much the same as Howson.

Using them as makeshift right mids is not good.

Need a new right mid or right winger.

Craig Noone at Cardiff has been mentioned, but I think he operates more on the left.

[quote user="AmericanNorwichFan"]Ofoe was bought to replace Fer 2 seasons ago. He''s got champions league expierence I believe, and is a Belgian international. He needs to start.[/quote]He''s started the last 3 games and we''ve lost all of them. To my mind you can''t play him and Hoolahan as both are rubbish defensively.I actually agree with you on the Wisdom/Redmond partnership down the right. Unfortunately no matter how bad he plays AN will not drop Martin for any length of time.

Y & G

Redmond couldn''t beat the opposing full back over 20 yards today. Whatever ability he may have had seems to have deserted him.

He''s a waste of space at the moment, with no, or at best sporadic, signs of improvement in months.

Cretin.

[quote user="grefstad"]We lack grafters, those who run and tackle for the sake of it.[/quote]

We have O''Neil! Vadis today?

Jerome tends to do it, which is one of the reasons I tend to prefer him to Mbokani.

[quote user="Budapest Canary"][quote user="grefstad"]We lack grafters, those who run and tackle for the sake of it.[/quote]

Jerome tends to do it, which is one of the reasons I tend to prefer him to Mbokani.[/quote]Except Jerome can''t dribble, hold the ball, or score with regularity. Makes him a liability, I''d take Mbokani over Jerome any day.

@Ron

But to get rid of one of our most talented players because he''s not on form?! It''s an absolute load of BS.

My point is that it is unrealistic to expect Redmond to carry the team single handedly. The whole team hasn''t played particularly well since October - it''s not just him!

[quote user="AmericanNorwichFan"][quote user="Budapest Canary"][quote user="grefstad"]We lack grafters, those who run and tackle for the sake of it.[/quote]

Jerome tends to do it, which is one of the reasons I tend to prefer him to Mbokani.[/quote]Except Jerome can''t dribble, hold the ball, or score with regularity. Makes him a liability, I''d take Mbokani over Jerome any day.[/quote]

I don''t see either of them as a regular scorers, Mbokani holds the ball better but partly he does that as his starting pace/acceleration is next to zero and in situations when he could easily start a run. Jerome could have scored the goal scored today by Afobe, but not Mbokani as he would never have met that cross.

I start my response by saying that I am a big fan of Redmond, but i am becoming increasingly frustrated with his unwillingness to run at opponents and the tendency to cut in on his favoured foot which makes him predictable. Has he reached a "plateau" in his development, is he lacking confidence, is he carrying a knock, is he shackled by the Alex Neils tactics, who knows..........

[quote user="Yellow and Green"]@Ron

But to get rid of one of our most talented players because he''s not on form?! It''s an absolute load of BS.

My point is that it is unrealistic to expect Redmond to carry the team single handedly. The whole team hasn''t played particularly well since October - it''s not just him![/quote]
Show me anybody expecting Redmond to "carry the team single-handedly".  You will find nobody who has asked that of him.
What we ask is that he provides an attacking threat and makes good decisions re: crossing, dribbling, passing, shooting.  He does not do this anywhere near enough for the hype he receives.  Look at Jarvis or Howson, two players less physically gifted, for an example of good decision making.