Sign in to follow this  
Since 1980

Cherries envy.

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2016/01/16/time-to-stop-casting-an-envious-eye-southward-and-instead-to-focus-on-what-we-have-and-how-it-was-earned/

[quote user="Darth Bor"]We will finish above Bournemouth at the end of the season.
[/quote]I''d love you to be right, but I think they''ll finish above us. Even with their biggest signings injured, they have showed more consistency and cohesion.Tenner says they finish above us, loser pays the tenner to PUPs fund. Interested?

No reason to envy Bournemouth, but they sure seem to have a way better team ethic than we do, and I also think they have players more suited to the style they play, than we currently have.

I am also pretty sure Bournemouth will finish above us come May. Teams like Bournemouth can excel when the pressure is off, so if/when they get a healthy gap to the relegation places, they can kick on.

However, if Rudd managed to kick Afobe out of action for a few weeks, it can only help us...

[quote user="grefstad"]No reason to envy Bournemouth, but they sure seem to have a way better team ethic than we do, and I also think they have players more suited to the style they play, than we currently have.

I am also pretty sure Bournemouth will finish above us come May. Teams like Bournemouth can excel when the pressure is off, so if/when they get a healthy gap to the relegation places, they can kick on.

However, if Rudd managed to kick Afobe out of action for a few weeks, it can only help us...[/quote]Easy if you have stacks of cash though, isn''t it?

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Darth Bor"]We will finish above Bournemouth at the end of the season.
[/quote]I''d love you to be right, but I think they''ll finish above us. Even with their biggest signings injured, they have showed more consistency and cohesion.Tenner says they finish above us, loser pays the tenner to PUPs fund. Interested?[/quote]
Yes.  It''s a deal.

[quote user="morty"]Easy if you have stacks of cash though, isn''t it?[/quote]

Sure, but I think Bournemouth are quite good at identifying players they need to fit their style.

And they should be applauded for that.

I don´t think we have a settled style of play, and then identify players to suit the style. Thats a big mistake.

Teams that know how they want to play will have a better chance of finding players that suit them.

And team ethic is not purchased. It is created by players and management.

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="morty"]Easy if you have stacks of cash though, isn''t it?[/quote]

Sure, but I think Bournemouth are quite good at identifying players they need to fit their style.

And they should be applauded for that.

I don´t think we have a settled style of play, and then identify players to suit the style. Thats a big mistake.

Teams that know how they want to play will have a better chance of finding players that suit them.

And team ethic is not purchased. It is created by players and management.[/quote]Nope.All about the money, it means they don''t have to compromise in what they buy. We constantly have to.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="grefstad"]No reason to envy Bournemouth, but they sure seem to have a way better team ethic than we do, and I also think they have players more suited to the style they play, than we currently have.

However, if Rudd managed to kick Afobe out of action for a few weeks, it can only help us...[/quote]Easy if you have stacks of cash though, isn''t it?[/quote]That''s a bit harsh on Bournemouth. As things stand, their big transfer outlays were on Mings (hasn''t played through injury), Gradel (hasn''t played through injury) and Murray and Tomlin (who have played bit parts). Additionally, they''ve been missing their star striker Wilson for the whole season, and influential midfielder Arter for most of the season so far. Look through their teamsheet today, and that''s not a megabucks team that put us to the sword today.

[quote user="Darth Bor"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Darth Bor"]We will finish above Bournemouth at the end of the season.
[/quote]I''d love you to be right, but I think they''ll finish above us. Even with their biggest signings injured, they have showed more consistency and cohesion.Tenner says they finish above us, loser pays the tenner to PUPs fund. Interested?[/quote]
Yes.  It''s a deal.
[/quote]*shakes*

I don''t thing Bournemouth is a better team than us.

But they are better than us on the basics.

They press better, run more, and got way more pace in their team than we do.

But I don''t think they got much better ball players.

What they are better at, than us, is team cohesion. Much better.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="morty"][quote user="grefstad"]No reason to envy Bournemouth, but they sure seem to have a way better team ethic than we do, and I also think they have players more suited to the style they play, than we currently have.

However, if Rudd managed to kick Afobe out of action for a few weeks, it can only help us...[/quote]Easy if you have stacks of cash though, isn''t it?[/quote]That''s a bit harsh on Bournemouth. As things stand, their big transfer outlays were on Mings (hasn''t played through injury), Gradel (hasn''t played through injury) and Murray and Tomlin (who have played bit parts). Additionally, they''ve been missing their star striker Wilson for the whole season, and influential midfielder Arter for most of the season so far. Look through their teamsheet today, and that''s not a megabucks team that put us to the sword today.[/quote]I''m not saying they are on a QPR level, But if you look through our squad, as a comparison, we have very few players who are the real deal, you can look at most and say "Yeah he is good at that, but if he could only do this too, he''d be worth ten million." Its very rare we buy exactly the player we want or need, as I said, theres always a compromise.For instance, I like Jerome, but would like him more if he scored 20 goals a season, but if he did, it wouldn''t be at Norwich.

Fantastic read  that on myfootballwriter, agree with it 100%. Today was always going to be a day of a good hiding, the Afobe and Grabban sagas saw to that.  But now the Bournemouth fixtures are behind us, and i no more care about Muff than i do the other 18 clubs. Let them do what they want and good luck to them. I only look to the 16 games ahead of City, and with interest as to which players we will have / not have, and how Alex gets our team picking up points. Thats more than enough for me.

[quote user="morty"]I''m not saying they are on a QPR level, But if you look through our squad, as a comparison, we have very few players who are the real deal, you can look at most and say "Yeah he is good at that, but if he could only do this too, he''d be worth ten million." Its very rare we buy exactly the player we want or need, as I said, theres always a compromise.For instance, I like Jerome, but would like him more if he scored 20 goals a season, but if he did, it wouldn''t be at Norwich.[/quote]Hang on, though - look at their starting XI today. Not a single outfield player with significant top-flight experience! These are lower-league players who have been raised to the standard of top-flight players. That has to be to do with tactics and togetherness more than money. What the big signings add in the second half of the season is yet to be seen, but their rich benefactor had little or no part in today''s decimation.

No, no excuses for today. But I still maintain financial security makes life a lot easier, and gives you freedom to maintain your philosophy, rather than cutting your cloth, like we do.

[quote user="morty"]No, no excuses for today. But I still maintain financial security makes life a lot easier, and gives you freedom to maintain your philosophy, rather than cutting your cloth, like we do.[/quote]Interesting one, really - I would argue that, if anything, Bournemouth''s battle is to get the expensive signings to understand and implement the philosophy. The likes of Cook, Arter, Francis, Elphick, Pugh, Daniels, Ritchie etc. have all been integral to their rise to the top, and it could be a Finidi George-style situation when the likes of Iturbe rock up with their big balls swinging.Well, here''s hoping, anyway... [:)]

Bournemouth have had the same manager for several seasons and pre-promotion they concentrated on honing their particular style of football. We by contrast have changed manager more often and prioritised promotion ahead of improving our playing ability.It''s a paradox whereby setting promotion as a target and making results the absolute top priority actually hinders our ability to stay up. There''s little room for experimentation or dropping points. The short cuts we take in trying to force our way into the PL, both financial and on the field, eventually catch up with us when we get there.We''re in a kind of viscious circle. We fear not getting promoted, we''re blinded by the prospect of receiving our next fix of PL money, and then fear the "fate worse than death" of relegation.The board needs to make sound long term decisions. It''s the panic and fear associated with losing the huge money on offer that could be our undoing.

Howe was going nowhere at Burnley, Dyche showed him what a good manager can do on a small budget.

He was going nowhere with Bournemouth until the money rolled in and FFP was flouted to buy a promotion.

The BBC love him, but it''s not genius - money talks.

There has been money rolling into many other clubs over the years, several of which have failed to achieve promotion. Like him or not, Howe has built a fantastic side and played a big part in taking Bournemouth up the divisions.

For those of you relentlessly bumming Eddie and his Bournemouth miracle, can I just point out that they are one point ahead of us.One point.

Bournemouth are presently the darlings of the media, and may even survive a season or two in the Prem, but ultimately, they will get relegated. There are very few teams that stay in the Premiership any length of time. The Arsenals and Evertons and big clubs of course have the history and resources to stay. Swansea came up with us just a few seasons ago and for a time it was fashionable to say "oh look at Swansea, if they can do it why cant we". Truth is even they are struggling after only 4 seasons or so. Sunderland are another club who have escaped with regularity the last few seasons, but it cannot be kept up forever. Stoke, WBA type teams are regarded as mid table comfortable, but in the Prem, for most teams, really long terms in the Premiership is rare. Bournemouth may be envied by some currently, but not by me.

There is nothing between the two teams bar we saved a stinking performance for them yesterday and they had some freshening up from new signings. A couple of decent signings who fill the gaps needed in the team and we''ll have every chance of finishing above them. It''s over to the board to make that happen.

[quote user="morty"]For those of you relentlessly bumming Eddie and his Bournemouth miracle, can I just point out that they are one point ahead of us.One point.[/quote]

It was only one place that seperated Hughton and Lambert. One place, yet that got rammed down our throats.

😉

Bournemouth are doing a great job and good luck to them.

I don''t think there is much between the majority of their squad, 90% ish and ours.

The difference is in our case the remaining 10% are at best Championship players where as their 10% are able PL players.

At the end of the season that will be the difference between them staying up and us going down. They have weathered the injury storm and have managed to keep in touch and further strengthened their squad, if something similar had happened to us we would have been cut adrift by now.

We can jump up and down with joy and misery after each win or loss but over a season it will be the teams with just that bit extra in the squad that will survive. It''s so sad that we wasted the chance to back AN in the summer to give him a fair chance.