Sign in to follow this  
Keith Scott

Alex Neil

Whilst he is at times a bit slow on the uptake, he is no CH. I''m not worried about is losing him anytime soon, as he still has a lot to prove to move on from us.

Shocking away from home, negative, isolated forward getting no service, only change things when it''s too late, relying on scraping home wins to keep our heads above water. All sounds eerily familiar doesn''t it?

Alex Neil is the best thing we have going for us, he''s inexperienced but a very talented young coach.

I believe we will stay up but when we don''t turn up for crunch away fixtures it makes things frustratingly more difficult. Don''t think a day less recovery has helped us today either, especially having ten men for an hour at Stoke too.

hopefully there''ll be a couple of fresh faces in time for next Saturday.

Some of you may mock but this season has all the hallmarks of our relegation season under Hughton. As the season progresses Neil''s desicions become all the more baffling. Why when we were playing well and comfortable against Stoke even with 10 men did he make two unnecessary subs which handed the initiative to Stoke? Nobody looked tired, so was he conceding the game there and then? Then today we are getting battered from minute one yet not for the first time Neil waits until the game is beyond us until changing things up. I know he''s a young manager who''s still learning, and i know that along with any other manager at this club he will always be working with one hand tied behind his back under our small time board. But we need him to up his game and fast.

[quote user="Keith Scott"]Some of you may mock but this season has all the hallmarks of our relegation season under Hughton. As the season progresses Neil''s desicions become all the more baffling. Why when we were playing well and comfortable against Stoke even with 10 men did he make two unnecessary subs which handed the initiative to Stoke? Nobody looked tired, so was he conceding the game there and then? Then today we are getting battered from minute one yet not for the first time Neil waits until the game is beyond us until changing things up. I know he''s a young manager who''s still learning, and i know that along with any other manager at this club he will always be working with one hand tied behind his back under our small time board. But we need him to up his game and fast.[/quote]

Looks like our Alex likes to stick to his (carefully laid) pre match game plan. And almost nothing makes him alter it. Certainly a bit hughtonesque about that, and very far from being lambertesque...

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="Keith Scott"]Some of you may mock but this season has all the hallmarks of our relegation season under Hughton. As the season progresses Neil''s desicions become all the more baffling. Why when we were playing well and comfortable against Stoke even with 10 men did he make two unnecessary subs which handed the initiative to Stoke? Nobody looked tired, so was he conceding the game there and then? Then today we are getting battered from minute one yet not for the first time Neil waits until the game is beyond us until changing things up. I know he''s a young manager who''s still learning, and i know that along with any other manager at this club he will always be working with one hand tied behind his back under our small time board. But we need him to up his game and fast.[/quote]

Looks like our Alex likes to stick to his (carefully laid) pre match game plan. And almost nothing makes him alter it. Certainly a bit hughtonesque about that, and very far from being lambertesque...[/quote]

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="Keith Scott"]Some of you may mock but this season has all the hallmarks of our relegation season under Hughton. As the season progresses Neil''s desicions become all the more baffling. Why when we were playing well and comfortable against Stoke even with 10 men did he make two unnecessary subs which handed the initiative to Stoke? Nobody looked tired, so was he conceding the game there and then? Then today we are getting battered from minute one yet not for the first time Neil waits until the game is beyond us until changing things up. I know he''s a young manager who''s still learning, and i know that along with any other manager at this club he will always be working with one hand tied behind his back under our small time board. But we need him to up his game and fast.[/quote]

Looks like our Alex likes to stick to his (carefully laid) pre match game plan. And almost nothing makes him alter it. Certainly a bit hughtonesque about that, and very far from being lambertesque...[/quote]

Is that the same Lambert that f***ed Villa up and is now doing the same with Blackburn ?

And once again I will say that I appreciate what he did here but since ?

Who cares what Lambert has done at other clubs? I am talking about his in game management when he was here, which was truly excellent. Subs at the right time, correct descisions on when to go all out attack, etc. Read the game very well when he was here.

[quote user="grefstad"]Who cares what Lambert has done at other clubs? I am talking about his in game management when he was here, which was truly excellent. Subs at the right time, correct descisions on when to go all out attack, etc. Read the game very well when he was here.[/quote]Yes, he did. But he had a lot more experience to draw on, both as a player (Champions League winner) and as a manager (several years at three different clubs before he joined us).We must give Neil time to learn his trade, he has barely finished his Pro Licence (if indeed he has finished it?) and never played at the highest level. I really hope the fans are patient with him and allow him to fulfil more of his potential.

Was it his bad management that won us the game at Old Trafford, or brought Vadis on for the assist against Southampton or for that matter got Oneil sent off? No.

The blam has to lie with the team who have let him and the fans down.

[quote user="grefstad"]Who cares what Lambert has done at other clubs? I am talking about his in game management when he was here, which was truly excellent. Subs at the right time, correct descisions on when to go all out attack, etc. Read the game very well when he was here.[/quote]Not all the time he didn''t. There was some dreadful games during his Prem season. It''s very reminiscent of this actually.

I do not really go along with the view that Neill is a great coach. When he arrived here we had by some distance a very strong squad and it was more of a case of kicking some backsides rather than a big change in tactics. In his early days we chased the opposition and never gave them time on the ball which resulted in us getting on top in most games and we had the quality in the Championship to obtain deserved promotion. As is the case in many instances the impact of the new manager quickly wears off and sadly the lack of fight and confidence quickly ebbs a way. If a coach is that great you would expect to see some individuals improve. I cannot in all honesty see this. What I am mostly worried about is that he stated at the AGM that he and his coaching staff spend hours watching videos on the next opponents. This results in too much tinkering and we should instead be concentrating on the best utilisation of our squad and build a "consistent reliable team". Howson, Redmond, and Hoolahan have suffered from playing in several different roles which seems to be based on trying to stifle the opponents. This does not help matters. However the players must also equally shoulder much of the blame for several poor performances. There has been a regular lack of quality, particularly in going forward, and on many occasions the final ball plus set pieces have been very disappointing. At the end of the day we are of course up against the "millionaire brigades" and life in this division will be difficult, albeit that there are several very average sides. I would stick with Neill but as we all knew he was an inexperienced manager when he arrived.

Whilst we may have had some poor results under Lambert I never left a game feeling we hadn''t given it a go unfortunately under this manager we have had no shows at Southampton, Watford, Spurs and now Bournemouth. I realise only one team can win and I don''t mind if it is us as long as we give our all in every game. If Alex Neil is to stay we need far more effort from some of these players.

[quote user="ridgeman"]Whilst we may have had some poor results under Lambert I never left a game feeling we hadn''t given it a go unfortunately under this manager we have had no shows at Southampton, Watford, Spurs and now Bournemouth. I realise only one team can win and I don''t mind if it is us as long as we give our all in every game. If Alex Neil is to stay we need far more effort from some of these players.[/quote]Every team will have no-shows over the course of the season. Southampton we played more than 45 minutes with 10 men, admittedly we were crap before the red card but it was still a mitigating factor. At Spurs we were more than matching them until the first goal, and their great quality engulfed us in the second half - no shame in that. Watford was a poor performance all round, and today was abysmal. After 20 games, I don''t think that''s a disproportionate amount of poor performances.

He had something about him and he is worth persevering with as he has great potential but I do think it''s time to drop the "Sir Alex" nonsense and it should be acknowledged that he''s made quite a few mistakes this season that have cost us points.

The Martin centre back fiasco which now seems to have ruined him as a right back as well

Dropping Wes when in the form of his life

That Tettey substitution at Newcastle and he''s generally not that great when it comes to his subs making an impact

Losing his nerve post Newcastle and abandoning his principles

Playing Brady at left back where he is wasted when we have Olsson on the bench

I just feel his inexperience has shown through and cost us at times. I think he needs to go back to his mainprinciples for the rest of the season and revert to a higher tempo pressing game because when we sit off or try and play at a lower tempo we look hopeless at this level.

Under the Messiah we were poor I agree in certain games but it wasn''t through lack of effort or tactical awareness

Yesterday Howe out thought and out fought Neil in every dept yesterday but still 2 1 in terms of games to Neil

A game we would have won yesterday under Lambert

Lambert got it wrong a fair few times with his starting tactics and team selections but he nearly always realised very quickly and rectified it. His game management was amazing with us although Villa fans used to slag him off for it!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]He had something about him and he is worth persevering with as he has great potential but I do think it''s time to drop the "Sir Alex" nonsense and it should be acknowledged that he''s made quite a few mistakes this season that have cost us points.The Martin centre back fiasco which now seems to have ruined him as a right back as well

Dropping Wes when in the form of his life

That Tettey substitution at Newcastle and he''s generally not that great when it comes to his subs making an impact

Losing his nerve post Newcastle and abandoning his principles

Playing Brady at left back where he is wasted when we have Olsson on the bench

I just feel his inexperience has shown through and cost us at times. I think he needs to go back to his mainprinciples for the rest of the season and revert to a higher tempo pressing game because when we sit off or try and play at a lower tempo we look hopeless at this level.[/quote]

Too much wrong with that post imo. 1. Martin imo is not quick enough at this level to be as good at RB as he is at CB (whatever people think of him as a CB is something else).2. Wes can be a liability at times - and the manager has to judge whether Wes is going to be efective in a particular game or not. 3. The Tettey substitution was a mistake, AN admitted that - but it reflects the previous point really, because he brought Wes on......4. Losing his nerve? Or making adjustments?  He is learning and we are still on course to stay up if we keep totally positive. 5. Brady is superb at Left Back and is much quicker at tracking back than Olsson.  Yesterday at one point he sprinted the full length of the field tracking back, keeping up with the Bournemouth break and helping to defend the situation.6. The high pressing game is one that can''t work all the time - it has been shown time and time again it is too tiring over 90 minutes - but a balance is missing sometimes - and that is what AN is tring to get nowadays.  Yesterday we were off the pace - AN can learn from these matches.

I believe Alex Neil will be a good manager in time and is still learning his trade ,would have been good for him to have had another season in the championship to build the team he wants ,in the premier there is no room for experimenting with different formats and players. He is doing ok but do think his constant swapping of players must be having a negative effect in the team.

Hope the rest of the season gets better ,otherwise with one or two of the teams around us improving we will go down.

As others have said, AN is a young but very promising manager who is learning his trade. In all honesty I think he deserves huge credit for keeping this squad with this defence out of the relegation zone.