Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Use of the squad (or lack of)

Surely, with 2 away games in the space of 3 days, you would expect a few changes to the team against Bournemouth, who also had a day more rest, and who had their second home game on the trot?

Dorrans, Mulumbu, Olsson, even Wisdom could perhaps be considered for this game, to bring in fresh legs.

When AN did not do that, it can only mean one thing, they are not good enough, or are simply not rated by AN.

And if they are not good enough to do a squad rotation job, how come they were recruited in the first place? Poor scouting? Panic buys? Injuries?

I, for one, was happy with the team put out at Bournemouth, if their legs were up to it. In hindsight, they were not.

Also, if AN planned to use Mbokani at Bournemouth, then it was strange Jerome did not start at Stoke.

A few of these things puzzle me a bit, but then again, I am not the manager...

[quote user="grefstad"]Surely, with 2 away games in the space of 3 days, you would expect a few changes to the team against Bournemouth, who also had a day more rest, and who had their second home game on the trot?

Dorrans, Mulumbu, Olsson, even Wisdom could perhaps be considered for this game, to bring in fresh legs.

When AN did not do that, it can only mean one thing, they are not good enough, or are simply not rated by AN.

And if they are not good enough to do a squad rotation job, how come they were recruited in the first place? Poor scouting? Panic buys? Injuries?

I, for one, was happy with the team put out at Bournemouth, if their legs were up to it. In hindsight, they were not.

Also, if AN planned to use Mbokani at Bournemouth, then it was strange Jerome did not start at Stoke.

A few of these things puzzle me a bit, but then again, I am not the manager...[/quote]No point in playing them though, if they aren''t good enough, and thats why they are on the fringes.I haven''t seen anything from Dorrans, Mulumbu or Wisdom to make me think they will be regular starters anytime soon.We recruit the players we can afford, and there will always be players in any squad that aren''t quite up to the job on a regular basis.

Disagree on Wisdom, he has done enough as a defender to deserve a start - best defensive spell for the side with him at RB, now we are conceding again.

What he cant do is the marauding attacking bit - but defenders who cant defend shouldnt really be in the side ahead of a one who can - should they?

A mute point as Pinto is now here as the RB alternative.

Dorrans & Mulumbu - both disappointed against citeh and most of the season; but I thought Dorrans did the deep def job much better than Howson yesterday; and howson was 100 times more effective as a result of moving forward.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"] but I thought Dorrans did the deep def job much better than Howson yesterday; and howson was 100 times more effective as a result of moving forward.[/quote]

Yes, Howson is a roamer, and should play as a roamer. He gets into situations to score more often when he is not restricted to the def mid job.