Sign in to follow this  
gitto

Scoring goals.

If you don''t score goals you don''t win games, however well or badly you play it only matters about scoring goals. You have to have natural goalscorers and play in a way that suits them and gives them enough opportunities to score.

Norwich have natural goalscorers on their books but never ever play to their strengths.

This place really make me larf sometimes [:D]

Why? Hooper, Mbokani and Lafferty are natural goalscorers

Hooper has always scored wherever he has played, Mbokani ahas had a good goalscoring everywhere apart from Norwich and Lafferty has scored as many goals as Rooney in the European championships (England only played shite opposition too) And scored a cracking goal against West Brom and in the under21''s this season. A Neil only thinks City can play one way and in a way that only suits a Didier Drogba in his prime.

[quote user="gitto"]This place really make me larf sometimes [:D]

Why? Hooper, Mbokani and Lafferty are natural goalscorers

Hooper has always scored wherever he has played, Mbokani ahas had a good goalscoring everywhere apart from Norwich and Lafferty has scored as many goals as Rooney in the European championships (England only played shite opposition too) And scored a cracking goal against West Brom and in the under21''s this season. A Neil only thinks City can play one way and in a way that only suits a Didier Drogba in his prime.[/quote]So, whats your plan?A front line of Hooper and Lafferty?

No for Alex Neil to be more open minded and not so blinkered. Hopefully he will learn in time from experience

[quote user="gitto"]No for Alex Neil to be more open minded and not so blinkered. Hopefully he will learn in time from experience[/quote]But you must have a plan in mind?Care to share?

No, but Alex Neil did say about Kyle Lafferty once that he didn''t get in the side because Norwich did not play the way Northern Ireland did.

[quote user="gitto"]No, but Alex Neil did say about Kyle Lafferty once that he didn''t get in the side because Norwich did not play the way Northern Ireland did.[/quote]So you''re saying we should play Lafferty?

Not at all I''m just saying maybe there''s more than one way to skin a cat. Other teams play different styles that suit their players. Like Watford and Leicester, but Liverpool and Crystal Palace currently have the same problem City do. Klopp is not playing to Benteke strengths and ultimately they are suffering too

[quote user="gitto"]Not at all I''m just saying maybe there''s more than one way to skin a cat. Other teams play different styles that suit their players. Like Watford and Leicester, but Liverpool and Crystal Palace currently have the same problem City do. Klopp is not playing to Benteke strengths and ultimately they are suffering too[/quote]Or could it be that Watford and Leicester have better strikers than we do?You would have thought that a manager like Klopp, with all his experience, would know how to get the best out of players. Tsk.

I''m not actually sure what this post is about.... No constructive comments or actual suggestions about what we should do to improve

[quote user="Cobain18"]I''m not actually sure what this post is about.... No constructive comments or actual suggestions about what we should do to improve[/quote]Give me time, I''m making progress in dragging it out of him. We''ll have concluded business by page 5[Y]

Alright I''ll put it this way. If you had Michael Owen or Gary Lineker in their prime would you have played like Wimbledon. Gary Hooper played in a successful Celtic side as a lone striker. And Luiz Suarez played as a lone Striker successfully. So what I''m saying is like it or not to be successful you have to play a way that suits your strikers. Cameron Jerome is not a high scoring goalscorer. he''s a quality forward and footballer, but not a natural goalscorer.( Note the fact that Crystal Palace stayed up with him as a striker, but he only scored two goals in 28 games for them that season) So If Your natural goalscorers are Hooper, Lafferty or Mbokani then you have to study how their previous teams got the best out of them then you have to play that way. Either that or if you are determined to play one way only then you have to break the bank and get the best striker you can that plays the way you want at the price you can afford. Do you see that happening at the moment?

[quote user="gitto"]Alright I''ll put it this way. If you had Michael Owen or Gary Lineker in their prime would you have played like Wimbledon. Gary Hooper played in a successful Celtic side as a lone striker. And Luiz Suarez played as a lone Striker successfully. So what I''m saying is like it or not to be successful you have to play a way that suits your strikers. Cameron Jerome is not a high scoring goalscorer. he''s a quality forward and footballer, but not a natural goalscorer.( Note the fact that Crystal Palace stayed up with him as a striker, but he only scored two goals in 28 games for them that season) So If Your natural goalscorers are Hooper, Lafferty or Mbokani then you have to study how their previous teams got the best out of them then you have to play that way. Either that or if you are determined to play one way only then you have to break the bank and get the best striker you can that plays the way you want at the price you can afford. Do you see that happening at the moment?[/quote]This is really all a bit simplistic though, isn''t it?Hooper is very limited in the way he can play, he doesn''t have the attributes to play as a single striker, he has to play off another one in a 4-4-2. And frankly we don''t have a powerful or dominating enough midfield ( or solid enough defensive base) to carry it off in this division. So you comprimise, you play 4-5-1, or 4-1-4-1, where the number 10 is part of the midfield, but joins in on attacks, effectively fulfilling two roles. Cameron Jerome drops very deep for the ball a lot, but ends up dragging the whole team deep ( we need more midfield runners running beyond him, but thats another issue) and consequently doesn''t score enough. Mbokani plays higher up the field, but again, we need to dominate in midfield, or he gets isolated.Lafferty is just a lump, and his club level reflects that, but he is probably the best Northern Ireland has, so they play to his strengths, but I genuinely don''t believe if we even did that, that he would do well. A bit like when Andy Carrol was at Newcastle, they played to his strengths, even though he was a carthorse, and Liverpool fell for it, and he was shart there.

We have no 20goals a season player at our club

These players cost. So we have to work harder on fitness and closing down teams when we do not have ball. Sounds simple if you have players who believe in what the coach wants. This is what Mr neal has to tell them.

Hooper played in the champions league against Barcelona as a lone striker. And Liverpool never played to Andy Carroll strengths. Newcastle and Wets Ham under Allardyce did and he was effective. Villa played more direct yesterday when Gestade came on and looked more effective and earned a draw when it didn''t seem likely before. Like I said, how you play does not matter, it''s playing to your strikers strengths that makes the difference. Carroll is not world beater, but he was the beats available at the time and when the teams played to his strengths they were more successful. I''m not saying Hooper and Lafferty and Mbokani are world class strikers, but they are the best City have got. And I am saying if they are the best strikers you have then surely you have to play to their strengths. Goals get results.

[quote user="gitto"]Hooper played in the champions league against Barcelona as a lone striker. And Liverpool never played to Andy Carroll strengths. Newcastle and Wets Ham under Allardyce did and he was effective. Villa played more direct yesterday when Gestade came on and looked more effective and earned a draw when it didn''t seem likely before. Like I said, how you play does not matter, it''s playing to your strikers strengths that makes the difference. Carroll is not world beater, but he was the beats available at the time and when the teams played to his strengths they were more successful. I''m not saying Hooper and Lafferty and Mbokani are world class strikers, but they are the best City have got. And I am saying if they are the best strikers you have then surely you have to play to their strengths. Goals get results.[/quote]No, sorry, two of those aren''t. I suspect by this time tomorrow Hooper will be away, and we are absolutely gagging to get rid of Lafferty.Why didn''t you include Jerome in that list?

Jerome is a great player , but not a natural goalscorer.

I''ll have one last go at explaining my thinking. If City currently had Kenny Dalglish, Peter Beardsley, Gary Lineker, and Michael Owen all in their prime on their books they would score no more goals than they are now, because City do not currently play a style of play suitable for any of those players strengths. But they were all World Class strikers in their prime, so what I''m saying is whoever your striker is you have to set your team up to get the best out of them. To emphasize my point Grant Holt. Paul Lambert set his team up for Grant Holt. In the first season back in the premiership Norwich scored most of their goals from crosses and it was not until Hughton came in and changed the style of play did Grant Holt''s goals dry up.

[quote user="gitto"]Jerome is a great player , but not a natural goalscorer.

I''ll have one last go at explaining my thinking. If City currently had Kenny Dalglish, Peter Beardsley, Gary Lineker, and Michael Owen all in their prime on their books they would score no more goals than they are now, because City do not currently play a style of play suitable for any of those players strengths. But they were all World Class strikers in their prime, so what I''m saying is whoever your striker is you have to set your team up to get the best out of them. To emphasize my point Grant Holt. Paul Lambert set his team up for Grant Holt. In the first season back in the premiership Norwich scored most of their goals from crosses and it was not until Hughton came in and changed the style of play did Grant Holt''s goals dry up.[/quote]Oh I know what you''re thinking, I am just curious as to how you think we would go about it. Forget Hooper and Lafferty, they will be gone.Hmmm, I am not buying it that it was 100% Hughtons fault that Grant Holt''s goals dried up.

[quote user="firedawg"]Morty sometimes you really are a twat ! not most of the time, but sometimes ![/quote]Explain.