Sign in to follow this  
Rich T The Biscuit

Net Spend

Why is everyone obsessed about net spend.

If we get rid of players that are either not good enough or don''t want to be here and we replace them with players who are better and want to be here, does it matter how much we spend?!?

Bournemouth need to spend money to improve on what they had, their front line has been Josh King and Glen Murray so needed to add to it.

If we get Naismith he''s better than Grabban, then you''d hope that if Hooper/Lafferty or both goes we''ll get a gap filler in terms of a loan.

The most important thing we needed this window was a new RB, new Centre Half and a forward, looks like all will be ticked and then if we get any extras in great.

I think we need a poacher type centre forward to add to what we have if Hooper/Lafferty go, and if we need to keep one that surely it has to be Hooper, he''s on form, albeit in the champs. If not then I''d take Gayle as he is completely different to what we have.

I don''t think it''s necessarily net spend people are obsessed with. I think it''s the general lack of ''spend'' people are concerned about.

If we were selling players and reinvesting the profits, then I think people would be satisfied. It''s the general lack of activity in the transfer market that has been the cause for concern.

It seems we are now about to do something about that - which is great news. Just a real shame we weren''t more proactive in the last transfer window - instead we were trying to negotiate in the non-existent bargain basement and then blame our lack of signings on geography.

Or indeed some yellow and green blinkers as there are plenty on here who would buy them, either from a positive or negative approach to the club.

Anyway, point is still relevant, it doesn''t actually matter what our net spend is as long as we improve in all the right places.

Although I suspect this post will bring back the long winded debate we had with Newton etc about what was spent in the summer.

We need a bit more quality in the team, we need to spend money to get it.Generally, though not always, the more you spend, the better the quality.Thats why people are interested in it, I suspect.

I agree Kingston (although that''s obvious as I did the original post) but there are some on here who will look at how much extra we have spent against others, i.e Bournemouth etc and see the net spend as a negative.

"Anyway, point is still relevant, it doesn''t actually matter what our net spend is as long as we improve in all the right places."

I think we all agree that we need to improve in all the right places, that goes without saying, but I think the point is more - ''how ''much'' do we want to improve?''

Are we going to spend £6m to get D Gayle in or are we going to spend £12m like Swansea did and get someone like Bony a few years ago? Easier said than done indeed, but that is where perhaps the frustration lies. We know AN wanted Afobe yet we weren''t willing to go as high in price as Bournemouth and that''s fine as £10m is a lot. But who are we going to get instead? It isn''t Naismith because he plays behind the striker. Gayle? Mackail Smith ;) McCormack?

Net spending perhaps isn''t that important, especially if we sell players like Grabban for as high as £7m, but I do think our spending is important. We can improve our team and there''s no point trying to slightly upgrade when there are players which could push us out of trouble. Klose and Naismith could well be good signings as could Pinto, but we haven''t seen anything yet which I imagine is why some are also frustrated.

We got 2 West Brom rejects who we knew would not improve the team but would improve the general quality of the squad. Although at the time it didn''t seem like a bad idea, I can''t help but think we could''ve spent the money (wages) on other players who would''ve improved the team, or who would''ve had a chance to improve the team. We all knew Mulumbu and Dorrans weren''t anything special and could''ve spent more money to improve these positions as we haven''t really spent anything.

Net spend isn''t necessarily important, but it is an indicator of what''s going on. And I don''t expect us to compete financially with Bournemouth. But I do expect us to accept that player inflation has been significant - particularly entering into this season and that we have to pay the going rate.

Starting negotiations for Brady at the report £3-£4m mark is insane. If that''s indicative of how we''ve conducted negotiations over the last 12 months, it''s no wonder we didn''t bolster our squad adequately in the summer. That''s why net spend is relevant (along with league position etc) in assessing the Board''s performance

The problem is that we clearly don''t have the financial muscle to pay the wages that I suspect someone like Afobe wanted, and whose to say we didn''t try and get him again?

Agree that we need to spend more if the right player is out there, the problem is that by its very nature a £12m player is better than a player at £6m (unless its final year of contract) and those better players wants better wages and better football, i.e european football such as Haller.

As was posted on here previously with regards to Brady, Hull started at £15m, we started at £3-4, it''s called negotiation and every selling club holds out for what they can get.

You can bet that Bournemouth didn''t offer us what we wanted for Grabban on the first call, they probably gave us a cheeky bid as they knew he was unsettled.

The truth is none of us on here will ever know what was offered, what wages were offered etc etc as we are simp,y fans who hear rumours and listen to people who claim to be in the know.

The only one here with a great record has been CUSDP and even he this week posted about Sebastian Di whatever and that has gone dead