Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Austin a bargain....no, so said David Gold

West Ham joint-chairman David Gold has claimed Southampton''s signing of striker Charlie Austin is not the £4million bargain many consider ''if his wages are £100,000 per week.''

Gold, who often interacts with West Ham supporters on Twitter, was responding to a supporter who had Tweeted him saying ''4 mill is a bargain Austin is a brilliant player one of the best English strikers there is right now.''

Gold''s response read ''Is he a bargain if his wages are £100,000 per week? dg''.

[quote user="Bradwell canary"]West Ham joint-chairman David Gold has claimed Southampton''s signing of striker Charlie Austin is not the £4million bargain many consider ''if his wages are £100,000 per week.''

Gold, who often interacts with West Ham supporters on Twitter, was responding to a supporter who had Tweeted him saying ''4 mill is a bargain Austin is a brilliant player one of the best English strikers there is right now.''

Gold''s response read ''Is he a bargain if his wages are £100,000 per week? dg''.[/quote]Blimey, I guessed at 80k, and most thought that was too high.

Doubt he''s really in a position to know what Southampton are giving him.

No Keiran, I doubt he is, but he will know what his agent was asking for on his behalf, so wont be far wrong, IMO

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Bradwell canary"]West Ham joint-chairman David Gold has claimed Southampton''s signing of striker Charlie Austin is not the £4million bargain many consider ''if his wages are £100,000 per week.'' Gold, who often interacts with West Ham supporters on Twitter, was responding to a supporter who had Tweeted him saying ''4 mill is a bargain Austin is a brilliant player one of the best English strikers there is right now.'' Gold''s response read ''Is he a bargain if his wages are £100,000 per week? dg''.[/quote]

Blimey, I guessed at 80k, and most thought that was too high.

[/quote]

David Gold''s tweet says ''if'' (his wages are £100k) - only being hypothetical. Having said that, the figure is still huge!

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard "]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Bradwell canary"]West Ham joint-chairman David Gold has claimed Southampton''s signing of striker Charlie Austin is not the £4million bargain many consider ''if his wages are £100,000 per week.'' Gold, who often interacts with West Ham supporters on Twitter, was responding to a supporter who had Tweeted him saying ''4 mill is a bargain Austin is a brilliant player one of the best English strikers there is right now.'' Gold''s response read ''Is he a bargain if his wages are £100,000 per week? dg''.[/quote]Blimey, I guessed at 80k, and most thought that was too high.

[/quote]

David Gold''s tweet says ''if'' (his wages are £100k) - only being hypothetical. Having said that, the figure is still huge!

[/quote]I think, being in the business he would have a fairly good idea.

Over 4 million a year on wages and that''s for the next 4 and a half years... That would be a disaster for us if we were to go down, let alone the dodgy knee starts causing problems and you end up paying wages you could sign several other players with.

I suspect a number of clubs were interested and guess Wet Sham would have been made especially at £4m, so it''s likely he''d know what wages were being asked for.

So if it''s a 3yr contract it''s an outlay of £20m for Soton, although a large chunk of that would have been paid on wages anyway as I''m sure he''d have been in a load at QPR, so actually it''s not a huge investment unless he gets injured again!?!

4.5 year contract wasnt it - total cost incl fee and wages est at a total of £23m...

ZLF; 4.5 year contract wasnt it - total cost incl fee and wages est at a total of £23m...

which is not a huge sum, for a striker that returns 20 goals a season, but massive if he gets crocked and spends much time on the sidelines, and only manages single figures for a goal tally, big gamble by Soton.

I also heard £80k salary for Austin and a huge signing on fee.

There is rarely a ''bargain'' to be had for proven players - any savings made in the fee are eaten up in signing on fees and wages.

In Rodriguez and Austin Southampton might have two of the best young English forwards, but they might end up with two of the best young injured English forwards - given they both have question marks over their durability.

When Austin was much talked about in August a very well ''respected'' journalist stated that it was well known that Austin could not consistently play consecutive matches because of his knee problems, ha also stated at that time he was looking for £80,000 per week, has to be a gamble for any club surely?

What a load of rubbish !!!!

Dodgy knees ? Can''t play consecutive games ?

He played 35 of 38 premier league games last season and scored 18 goals !!

Bargain at £4m ... Maybe his wages are dependant if they are that high too ?

Whatever , with the riches to be had from premier league football ,, his goals ,, in relation to league position could be worth a milliion each ,, what a bargain that would make him .

Not in any shape or form a bargain. Will be on epic wages! Was my first thought.

David Gold''s West Ham were touted as a potential destination, you can e sure he will have an idea of the wage demands and he will be on or around that figure, that is likely why we didn''t see him moving in the summer.

I know these colossal salaries are now part of the top flight, but there is no way under the sun I want our club to pay 100k a week to any player. Footballing suicide for a club the size of ours.