Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Norwich physical state (or lack of)

Just seen a thorough analysis of the Bournemouth game on Norwegian TV, where the pundits are almost shocked by the lack of effort from the Norwich players.

Apparently Norwich ran nearly 10km less than the Bournemouth team, thats 1 km average per player less. No wonder Bournemouth looked like they had 14 players on the pitch, and we 9...

Distance run Bournemouth (5 top players)

Gosling 12.22 km

Surman 11.43 km

Pugh 11.34 km

Stanislas 11.11 km

Daniels 10.68 km

Distance run Norwich (5 top players)

Tettey 11.06 km

Howson 10.72 km

Martin 9.86 km

Brady 9.4 km

Mbokani 9.06 km

Quite some difference there, and as mentioned, for the entire team it was nearly 10km difference in total.

Also, looking at the number of sprints, you can see a distinct difference.

Number of sprints Bournemouth:

Gosling 66

Stanislas 63

Pugh 60

Smith 55

Arter 54

Number of sprints Norwich

Howson 63

Mbokani 43

Tettey 41

Hoolahan 36

Brady 35

As you can see, there is a very big difference in effort made between these two teams.

You can certainly argue that the draining match vs Stoke affected us, and I am tempted to agree partly, but numbers like these have been the story of our season. We lack energy, stamina, and general physical ability.

I saw Besic of Everton, and Fabregas of Chelsea running over 13 km today. Thats 30% more than Howson today. Make your own thoughts.

These stats were presented on Norwegian TV2 today, so I dont have access to them online (would loved to have them, though).

The "experts" said, and rightly so, that teams like Norwich, Bournemouth, Sunderland, Newcastle, and all others down there simply can not compete if they are not putting down the effort, as the better teams have superior players, and the difference can best be levelled by proper effort.

Quite obvious, I´d say, but lack of proper physical ability (running, sprinting, tackling, etc) has let us down all season imho.

Last time I mentioned this, I was slated by the know-nothings in this forum. Probably this time around too. But open your eyes, and view the games without yellow and green glasses next time, and you will probably see it as well. It is not just the Bournemouth game. Same has happened in most of our games this season, and probably more so in away games than home games. Still, it is worrying, as AN probably have to adjust his tactics, i.e playing 2 deep mids, since we dont have the ability to cover enough ground without the protection, etc.

This will again hamper our offensive play,.

Discuss, without derailing.

Do you think it''s anything to do with the fact Bournemouth had a home game on Tuesday and a home game today, whereas we had an away game on Wednesday night in the north of England, and an away game on the south coast today?

Not only have we had to cover hundreds of miles of travelling, but also had a day less recovery time. Factor in that two thirds of the match against Stoke was with 10 men, and the majority of those played again today, and it does not surprise me in the slightest that we were knackered.

I was surprised that more changes were not made today.

[quote user="Ian"]Do you think it''s anything to do with the fact Bournemouth had a home game on Tuesday and a home game today, whereas we had an away game on Wednesday night in the north of England, and an away game on the south coast today?

Not only have we had to cover hundreds of miles of travelling, but also had a day less recovery time. Factor in that two thirds of the match against Stoke was with 10 men, and the majority of those played again today, and it does not surprise me in the slightest that we were knackered.

I was surprised that more changes were not made today.[/quote]

Yes, I do think the fact we did have 2 away games in 3 days, and also played 60 mins with 10 men, on a wet and heavy pitched played its part today.

And I am also very surprised more changes was not made, to be honest, but when the team came out I was happy with it, as it was the likely strongest team.

But it may not be the most physical fit team. Anyway, AN had to balance this, as football is not all about running. It is about finest, skills, technique, shooting, and a lot of other stuff too.

Another interesting side note is that all the teams playing double away games this week, none of them won today.

A team like Everton played a hard game at Man C in midweek, and again today at Chelsea, but both games were high energy, end-to-end stuff.

So, apparently, some teams have the energy...

This is down to Neil''s new defensive approach. You don''t run as much when you sit back for the majority of the match hoping for a counter. I prefer the attacking Norwich we saw at the start of the season personally. Don''t care much for clean sheets. It is about out scoring the opponent.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]This is down to Neil''s new defensive approach. You don''t run as much when you sit back for the majority of the match hoping for a counter. I prefer the attacking Norwich we saw at the start of the season personally. Don''t care much for clean sheets. It is about out scoring the opponent.[/quote]this new approach is good for when we play the top 6, but every other game has to involve the early season attacking initiative.

we should have rotated more todaysimplesit wasnt just that though, they dominated us all over the park and their new million $$$ man (who we apparently couldnt find the money for despite being linked for the last 8 months) finished us off

The difference is of course, that Everton have a much better squad than us and were able to bring players like Coleman, McCarthy, Koné etc. back into the team.

I would love to understand how it is justified for some teams to have to play back-to-back away games within 67 odd hours of each other, whilst others play back-to-back home games with longer recovery. Does this happen in reverse at other times in the season do you know?

I''m quite surprised Brady isn''t higher up our list of runners.

We were poor today. So poor in fact that a lot of the game we were spent defending on the edge of our own box, so whilst we are holding position Bournemouth players are running about trying to find and create space. Once we went 2-0 down we were in their half but giving the ball away at stupid times allowed Bournemouth players to counter with pace which again would rack up the distance.

Agreed, it is not a running contest, but the sprint stats are pretty damning too.

It shows, or at least it can be interpreted as, determination.

Only Howson had sprint stats that could bare to be compared with most of the Bournemouth mids.

Also agreed, these stats is just for one game, but more worryingly, if these stats are accumulated for the season so far, you will see Norwich bottom of the pile, of all the 20 Premier teams. Both for sprints made and for total km run.

That is worrying, and I am pretty sure AN has to alter his tactics due to these facts.

I think AN knows our midfielder are not able to cover enough ground in a 4-4-2, and as such, we are playing with 2 def mids quite often, also against teams we really should attack more.

Watford, Bournemouth, Stoke, Newcastle, etc springs to mind.

The only place our creativity comes from is our midfield, but we can''t shove Mulumbu and Tettey in there, because then the side is devoid of creativity. Which is why Ofoe has been sheltered to the wing.

It''s ok having mulumbu and Tettey if the wingers and a number 10 step up. But they ain''t at the moment. Hoolahan has been poor last few weeks, Redmond has been poor since October, Jarvis injured, Brady playing at left back.

Time for a number 10 to step up and do more. Hoolahan is becoming a luxury. Not really chipping in with the goals. Hopefully a position Naismith can fill.

And you know I don''t agree with your concept overall Grefstad, but it was clear we didn''t work hard enough today.

[quote user="hogesar"]And you know I don''t agree with your concept overall Grefstad, but it was clear we didn''t work hard enough today.[/quote]

I know very well, thank you.

I don´t know how much evidence you need to admit I´m (bye and large) correct in my assessment of Norwich´ lack of "bite", but whenever I get my hold of these stats, I will post them.

It may well be that we will stay up this season, even though we´re dead last in the stats for running, sprints, etc. After all, it is not an athletics contest.

But it sure gives us a better chance if our players are not much worse than other teams for effort and graft, over time.

For the time being, we are, and today it was very visible.

[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/Untitled_zps23vcvdeo.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/Untitled_zps23vcvdeo.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]Will you post the same analysis on the next game we win?

[/quote]

Why not. If I can get it. It is posted on Norwegian TV2 during recap of games, so I have to take a photo of them, and write them down here afterwards. If I am home and can see the program, I will post it.

[quote user="Ian"]"Stats don''t lie."

Lol.[/quote]
Actually stats DON''T lie. What happens is idiotic conclusions are too frequently drawn from them. 

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]All very interesting, however, at the time of writing, we have a similar league record to Bournemouth. The breakthrough will be when there is a direct correlation between kilometres ran and points on the board.......[/quote]

If you want that, you need to make adjustments for the quality of the players.

Kilometres run is just a leveller for lesser teams to better compete with teams with superior players.

Without effort, you are eaten alive in this division.

With effort, you will at least have a better chance of surviving.

[quote user="AmericanNorwichFan"]Burnley had plenty of effort too. Just not the quality. We have quality imo, so according to this thread, all we need is effort.[/quote]

Thats a wrong view, and you know it.

Quality alone is not enough, you need effort. And vice versa.

But effort is a leveller, for teams lacking quality.

Often seen in cups, where superior teams lose to lesser teams, often through lack of effort.

The problem is we couldn''t stretch the game today at all- the commentators on my stream kept noting that Mbokani was having to come deep to get the ball so Bournemouth had any easy task to press us as we were never posing a threat in behind. We''re never going to cover as much ground if we don''t use the whole field.

While it isn''t popular I do wonder if answer might be found in dropping Wes- by playing him we have nobody actually getting close to or beyond the striker and never look like getting in behind the back line. Someone like Howson, Jerome or even Naismith if he arrives could give us that option.

Thecanaryfan:

"This is down to Neil''s new defensive approach. You don''t run as much when you sit back for the majority of the match hoping for a counter. I prefer the attacking Norwich we saw at the start of the season personally. Don''t care much for clean sheets. It is about out scoring the opponent".

AmericanNorwichFan:

"this new approach is good for when we play the top 6, but every other game has to involve the early season attacking initiative".

Cant argue with that ANF. Totally agree. I think Neil may soon start thinking something similar. He knows we can attack with vigor if we have to.