Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Mulumbu

What''s going on there? He came in with a big reputation in summer, had the injury but surely now, its time for him to push on and be the player we all know he can be? These next 2 games provide a perfect chance for him to lay his claim down and be a massive player for us in keeping us in the prem.

Yes he had a poor game vs city but so did most of the side and it was only last year Ry Bennett was being embarrassed by Preston North End.

Surely that city game can be put down to him not being match fit and he can kick on from here. It''d be a shame if he didn''t get the chance. He looked really promising in pre season.

Maybe he is just not up to it.

There is presumably a reason why West Brom did not put up much of a fight to retain him.

Can be really tough for players to get going when they get an injury right at the beginning of the season. Hard to get full fitness, especially when he has never had a run of games in the first team. The problem is Norwich can''t just drop him in midfield and allow him to put in some 75% performances whilst he gets fit.

He''s also suffered from the fact Norwich have been relatively injury free - if Tettey had a prolonged spell out injured then maybe he''d been given that chance to build up fitness.

There is of course the nagging feeling that Pulis didn''t offer him a new contract at WBA for a reason - many of their fans were saying he hadn''t been the same player as before for at least a season. Not unknown for players to just drop off in ability very rapidly. I also thought it was a bit odd his was only given a 2 year deal - were Norwich also uncertain about him when he signed?

I fully expected to see Mulumbu as a fixture in the team, but maybe his chief competitor for a place in the team - Tettey - is keeping him out with his good form.   You might think Tettey and Mulumbu would be a good central pairing, but then there are plenty of others vying for those midfield positions.........   He has to wait for his chance and when he gets it he has to impress enough to be given another go.  Perhaps that didn''t happen at Man City, so he will have to wait for another chance..... 

With tettey about to get a two game suspension rest within the next month we could really do with him stepping up.

He did perform well in the defeats at citeh and chelsea - so perhaps its there and a couple of full games will help him? The thought of a dorrans howson combo sitting deep against spurs would not be good for the team overall.

Surprised he didn''t come in against B''Mouth with O''Neil suspended, but then I''m not the manager so hey ho

I think AN is reluctant to put Tettey and Mulumbu together in midfield in games he wants to get further forward and attack. They are both great at breaking up play, but neither are going to create a lot of chances or bring the ball forward out of midfield.

Might see them together against Liverpool where Norwich will need to play on the counter more, and deny the space in front of the defence where Klopp likes his teams to attack.

I am kind of hoping he had his 75% games vs city and spurs.

Another point, they are likely as hard a games as we will get all season, perhaps now he''s had a bit of game time under his belt, he can be ready for the more realistic tests to come. I thought we might have seen him vs stoke when it went 1-1 but AN wanted the 3 pts I guess...

He''ll need several games in a row to get out of the ''75%'' mode. Not the occasional game here and there.

He''s seemed pretty immobile in the games I have seen him, again this might be down to needing some consistent game time to get up to speed - or there is a deeper, underlying problem.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Don''t forget the Tettey yellow card situation. Mightn''t be long before Mulumbu gets his chance ...[/quote]Didn''t realise Tettey was already on 9 bookings. 2 match ban for 10 yellows, isn''t it?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]He''ll need several games in a row to get out of the ''75%'' mode. Not the occasional game here and there.

He''s seemed pretty immobile in the games I have seen him, again this might be down to needing some consistent game time to get up to speed - or there is a deeper, underlying problem.[/quote]He looked way, way off the pace at Man City.

It''s just the lack on games I''d say, while I never thought of him as a world beater I certainly think he could be a consistent member of the squad but needs to get up to speed and also be paired with the right partner in the centre..

I think Tetty would be too similar a player and would actually have an impact on the quality of the teams creativity going forward. Though if we had him behind in a 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-2-1 he could do a job.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]They are both great at breaking up play, but neither are going to create a lot of chances or bring the ball forward out of midfield.[/quote]In recent games Tettey has shown much more desire to bomb forward on occasion (Man U being the obvious example, but not just then). If Mulumbu''s match fitness is a concern, pairing him alongside Tettey mightn''t be too bad an idea – Tettey with the instructions to bomb forward at intervals, while Mulumbu can sit in front of the back four and bite ankles. His distribution is better than Tettey''s too, so he should be able to pick forward passes too (not Tettey''s strong suit).Much as Tettey''s good at breaking the play up, I don''t actually like it when he sits too deep, as when he has space on the ball he doesn''t have the ability to use it well – it''s usually crab-like sideways passes, which slow down any attacking momentum.

Perhaps the signing of Naismith will allow this partnership without compromising our attacking efforts? Naismith is a bit more mobile than Wes so particularly in tricky games, could be more useful and he could work as a pivot between a deeper lying middle 2 and Mbokani more effectively than Wes could.

We can save Wes for them slightly less challenging home games where we need to exploit the space in the final third as Wes has shown is his main strength.

"Naismith is a bit more mobile than Wes" TJ

or maybe not if the failed medical rumour is true...

I would say he is more physical - I would say wes is pretty mobile.

Failed medical? I hope not!

I meant in terms of that yard of pace.

Wes is zippy in small circles but he''s not quick over a few yards at all and it holds him back. There were a few times I observed against Stoke where him and Mbokani had done some nice work and Wes was away but he was easily caught by the Stoke defenders and had to check back or be tackled. Naismith might have that bit more about him to be able to exploit the space created.