Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

A fresh start

A bad couple of games and it is easy to see why things can quickly go wrong in this league - as Watford may be finding out too - but in our case, the new/prospective signings feels like something of a fresh start - or at least a boost to morale.  We''ve had big signings before but this time it feels altogether different.  The fact is we already had a strong squad with players of experience in this league.  The new aquisitions just gives the whole squad a real competitive boost - just at the right time when things have just looked a bit shaky in the last couple of matches.  Existing players will have to step up to try and keep their places, people who are not required will be gone on loan or tranferred - and this is altogether just what we needed.  Great game coming up Saturday against a historically difficult match for us - but then L''pool are in transition - so it would be a great game to restore our season to a postive feel again after last week.  A fighting draw would be a good result imo, but we should be looking to win this one.

Indeed, hopefully we get Naismith in today/tomorrow and then finally a striker then it will almost feel almost like a new season.

Although I don''t expect them all to start right away, I''m looking forward to see this;

---------------Rudd---------------

Pinto--Bennett--Klose--Olsson

--------Howson--Tettey----------

Redmond---Naismith-----Brady

--------------Mbokani-------------

That looks a great team Mrs M. How about Jarvis in and Brady at LB?

Hadn''t given it much thought until I just saw your team written down, but how much influence could Naismith have on Redmond''s game? He could help his game no end (no disrespect to Wes)

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]That looks a great team Mrs M. How about Jarvis in and Brady at LB?

Hadn''t given it much thought until I just saw your team written down, but how much influence could Naismith have on Redmond''s game? He could help his game no end (no disrespect to Wes)[/quote]After this week, how about NOT Brady at left back....

Sure I read AN sees left back as his best position. I am in the camp of thinking left wing is.

[quote user="ec-p"]Sure I read AN sees left back as his best position. I am in the camp of thinking left wing is.[/quote][Y]

I think what you''ve suggested crabby is also how AN sees it as well, especially as Brady at LB and Jarvis at LM worked well at the start of the season (a bit like Redmond who was in form).

Personally I still think Jarvis has got a bit more to do to prove he''s worth that starting place so perhaps it would indeed be better to play Brady at LB for the time being especially as Olsson isn''t having a great season (again, which is a shame because he was so good last time we were in the PL), giving Jarvis a chance to see what he can do.

It''s a difficult one because I love seeing Brady at LM because he works hard both ways, but at LB his positioning can be all over the place - luckily for him he has the drive to get back to save his bacon half the time.

I was commenting earlier in the season to some friends that I though Brady would end up as a left back long term. For me he doesn''t have enough attacking quality to play left wing on a regular basis. Too many of his crosses are just hit straight at the first man when he is the furthest forward and he doesn''t really offer much of a goal scoring threat either.

Where as he suits the role of a modern left back as he has good pace to support the attack and the graft to get back again and support defensively when the ball is turned over. He is also very good at overlapping and playing quick one twos when coming from a deeper position. I also think coming from deeper gives him more space to put a better quality of cross in as he can whip a good ball in when he has the time but isn''t so good at creating that half a yard himself in the same way as Jarvis or Redmond can.

Neil did say Klose can play left side or right side of the centre halves. So maybe Bassong and Klose would be his preferred 2.

Any chance Jarvis can play on the right wing ?

Shame that side hasn''t a better striker up top.

Brady is undoubtely better as a left midfielder or left wing back than full back.

He is also the best left back at the club in terms of defending position & discipline and certainly going forward. Marginally worse in the air but the two goals conceded last week are merely copies of ones involving Olsson.

We have better alternatives in left midfield than we do at left back.

So I suspect we will continue to see Brady at left back; come the summer a new left back will be near the top of the pile.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Brady is undoubtely better as a left midfielder or left wing back than full back.

He is also the best left back at the club in terms of defending position & discipline and certainly going forward. Marginally worse in the air but the two goals conceded last week are merely copies of ones involving Olsson.

So I suspect we will continue to see Brady at left back; come the summer a new left back will be near the top of the pile.[/quote]Time for Toffolo?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Brady is undoubtely better as a left midfielder or left wing back than full back.

So I suspect we will continue to see Brady at left back; come the summer a new left back will be near the top of the pile.[/quote]

Completely agree with that Zipper but I feel we really missed Brady further up the pitch and Jarvis isn''t back to full speed yet. I''d go Brady and Olsson for this one and hope the 2 combined can keep them quiet whilst giving them something to think about on the break.

Agree with LDC, in fact i posted directly after the Stoke game how i could sense the weekend and this week would go, saying City would get a good hiding at Muff, but then that would be done and dusted and time to kick on in the next week. Even i did not expect such a poor poor perfomance as that though.But yesterday things just dropped on a perfect day for everyone to forget about the Bournemouth failings. Getting a CB in as the calibre of Klose, also the Stephen Fry / Delias nephew news was something for us all to discuss, and all of a sudden the weekends match was already being consigned into history. Most of all, the fact that City had finally landed a new CB was just a relief, after waiting i dont know how long for. Miggsy put it best in two simple words, "tears up" lol.So new players to see perform and digest, and two big teams to play at home, Liverpool and Spurs. Great time to play them i think, irrespective of the results, the team should be up for it against  top sides anyway, but after last weeks results, plus new signings, it is indeed feeling fresh and more positive, complete contrast to pre-Bournemouth, when the Afobe / Grabban saga hung like a stench in the air, worse than good ole Norfolk manure.

Morty - Time for Toffolo?

Highly unlikely - struggling to get regular pitch time at Rotherham does suggest he is ready now or likely to be ready for next season either.

But he is not in the side here so like some many before him is bound to be the answer to our problems (and left back is far from the largest problem we have.

With the title of "fresh start", I had hoped this thread would be about a certain poster turning over the proverbial new leaf and putting the "victim" act back in the box, but alas not.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Morty - Time for Toffolo?

Highly unlikely - struggling to get regular pitch time at Rotherham does suggest he is ready now or likely to be ready for next season either.

But he is not in the side here so like some many before him is bound to be the answer to our problems (and left back is far from the largest problem we have.[/quote]Ah right, I assumed he was playing every week, maybe not then.

Darth Bor wrote the following post at 19/01/2016 6:12 PM:

With the title of "fresh start", I had hoped this thread would be about a certain poster turning over the proverbial new leaf and putting the "victim" act back in the box, but alas not.

You should give it a rest me old mate, or you''ll be next for the chop!

[quote user="Vanwink"]Darth Bor wrote the following post at 19/01/2016 6:12 PM:

You should give it a rest me old mate.[/quote]

This^^^