Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Full Lowdown on Naismith from a Toffee

Hi All - not been on for while. I asked a good friend of mine who is a die hard blue about Naismith. The response was interesting and worth sharing I thought. I started by asking him whether he was actually an AM or a striker.  Well, he’s definitely not a

straight up midfielder; I saw him away at Spurs once where he got shunted out

to left midfield and he was so bad it was embarrassing, to the point where the

whole stadium was laughing at his lack of ability in that position (before he was

mercifully substituted).

So I would say he is one of

those players that can play anywhere across the advanced positions, whether on

the left/right/centre of a forward 3, or as a number 10. In many ways I think

he was most effective playing more centrally for us: my favourite game was when

we beat Arsenal at Goodison with Naismith playing in the centre of a forward 3,

but dropped back very effectively, thereby creating space/confusion for Lukaku

to come off the right and bang one or two goals in. At the time I thought

Martinez was bonafide tactical genius for deploying such a tactic and

Naismith’s movement was very intelligent on the day, plus he is strong in the

air for his size and good at winning free-kicks in dangerous positions. He also

has a good ability of scoring goals against the biggest teams (at club and

international level).

In fact I would say Naismith is

a curious type of player, precisely because of his ability to switch between

seemingly having great touch, vision and finishing one game to looking awful

the next – e.g. at another game maybe last year against Hull at home, he had a

simple through ball to play for our striker (can’t remember who) to run on and

score, and yet somehow Naismith not only overhit the pass but actually booted

it out behind the keeper for a goal kick – truly dreadful!

But overall I’m pretty

disappointed if we do end up losing him, he’s a good team player who puts a

shift in for the team and given his qualities I can’t understand why Martinez

kept persisting with Kone when he wasn’t doing very well – particularly as

Naismith has the ability to bag important goals for his team.

So overall I would say it’s possible he will look truly dreadful if things

start badly for him (under Moyes he looked permanently awful, one of our worst

signings ever - but Moyes try to play him in midfield!) but I think it’s more

likely you’ve got a genuine match-winner who will help you stay in the EPL!!

Plus sad to see him go as he

seems to be a genuinely nice guy, goes out of his way to buy people struggling

financially tickets for Everton and helps out /  helps fund a homeless

charity of his own bat in Glasgow. Top guy.

Cheers for that. I have a mate who is a diehard blue as well who said v similar. Will find his response and post it. Sounds the sort of player mbokani could thrive off.

I agree TJ.  Having read about him it seems pretty clear to me that AN sees him as an alternative to Wes playing off Cam or Mbok who would be much more able to stand up to being sat on and marked out of the game as can happen to Wes. This seems incredibly shrewd to me because it takes the pressure of Wes, allows us to use him when he will be at his most effective and will mean we aren''t so reliant on him as a team. It will hopefully allow us, with Naismith, to play a totally different kind of game to the one we play with Wes in the side, and that can only be a benefit.

They are speaking very, very enthusiastically about him now on SSN, saying he is absolutely perfect for us.

Agree a1c. I was hoping Wes & Mbokani might form a good partnership, but Dieumerci is more of a hold-up pivot point player who needs someone prepared to run beyond him, which Wes seldom does. Naismith will (hopefully) relish the flicks & knock downs Mbokani can provide.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Agree a1c. I was hoping Wes & Mbokani might form a good partnership, but Dieumerci is more of a hold-up pivot point player who needs someone prepared to run beyond him, which Wes seldom does. Naismith will (hopefully) relish the flicks & knock downs Mbokani can provide.[/quote]That is Wes'' biggest weakness, a no 10 really needs to be running beyond the striker and chipping in with goals.

From the description above he reminds me very much of Wes, but hopefully being bigger he''ll be able to contribute that bit extra of a goal threat.  Fingers crossed !  And while Wes has been doing well generally this season, I think part of the problem on Saturday may have been he was playing his second game in a few days - his game time needs to be managed increasingly if he''s going to contribute.  Against Stoke he did very well IMO both going forward and defensively after we went down to 10 men but that must have taken a lot out of him.

I can see him linking up with Wes, like Jarvis and Brady do rather than replacing him.

At the moment I think Redmond should be scared.

Totally agree about the running in behind, Wes doesn''t have the legs for that where hopefully Naismith does, Howson done exactly that when he came on a home against Villa, immediately looking to run in front of the striker for flick on etc. Wes is looking a off form at the minute, probably tired and a rest could help him especially with Naismith for competition.

Still like another striker but if its just Naismith then he could well aid Mbkoni and Jeromes cause.

[quote user="Lewis DW"]I can see him linking up with Wes, like Jarvis and Brady do rather than replacing him.

At the moment I think Redmond should be scared.[/quote]

The report suggests he''s not great out wide so I think it''s likely Wes who will make way.

Read somewhere he only weighs 72kg so won''t be leading the line.

Sounds a good guy. Chuffed he''s finally getting here (hopefully).

Everton fans sad to see him go and wish him well on ''toffee talk'' forum...nice post on last page for Norwich lurkers to read. Sorry, can''t do the link.

Everton fans have been very honest to a man about their thoughts on Naismith. At first he had a torrid time after he joined from Rangers, but went on to win the hearts of all Evertonians, through his sheer 100% never say die attitude. Not the worlds greatest gifted player as regards deft quality, but has a huge big heart and the ability to score goals, even against the top sides. Nearly to a man they are sad to see him leave, the only real conversation being being the fee...but what price can we put on any player when we look around and see such diverse fees for different guys? In anycase, fees are what clubs agree or disagree on, im only concerned what this guy can give us on the pitch.One final thought, the Evertonians say they will always give Naismith a big reception anytime he  comes back and plays against them. Im pretty positive he will give 100% to our cause, but its plain to see he has a big heart. If that big heart carries a little bit of Goodison around for the rest of his time, lets respect that and never knock it.

He could play well with Wes in a 4-3-2-1 as they both seem to make up for each other''s weakness'' and I don''t think we''ve been that great from scoring out wide this year anyway. Could see something like this soon

-----------------Rudd---------------

Wisdom-Bennett-Klose-Olsson

---------------Tettey--------------

-----Howson-------------Brady

--------Naismith-Hoolahan

------------Mbokani--------

I can''t think of many other teams with such a dynamic front 3, it could cause havok

[quote user="Ricky Spanish"]He could play well with Wes in a 4-3-2-1 as they both seem to make up for each other''s weakness'' and I don''t think we''ve been that great from scoring out wide this year anyway. Could see something like this soon

Wisdom-Bennett-Klose-Olsson

-----Howson-------------Brady

I can''t think of many other teams with such a dynamic front 3, it could cause havok[/quote]

Or even:

Pinto--Bennett-Klose--Brady

-----Howson------------Jarvis

With Redmond to come on for Naismith or Hoolahan either as a direct replacement or to switch to a 4231. Could be very exciting...

Let''s be honest, he''s going to be a huge improvement on Grabban! Sell Grabban for 8 million buy Naismith for around 8 million, no brainier.

Now let''s hope Klose signs and replaces that lumbering Bassong, he just can''t help but cost us a goal every other game!

Then we hope Pinto is an improvement on Martin and to be honest that''s the three areas we all wanted to see improved.

Still would be the icing on the cake to buy Haller!

I think certain people need a reality check. Naismith is being almost hero worshipped already as some sort of saviour.

He''s a decent premiership player, and definitely the sort of player we should be looking to sign. But he will not drastically change our fortunes. He''s not a player you build a team around, but a player who is solid all rounder that fits seamlessly into most starting 11''s.

I''m looking forward to the arrival of Naismith, don''t assume otherwise. But I feel his ability is being exaggerated, which may lead to unwarranted pressure and ultimate disappointment.

Even with Pinto, Naismith and Klose, it still feels like we''re missing somthing else. Perhaps if Mulumbu can live up to his hype, and Redmond rediscovers some form, the ingredients are all here.

I''d like us to look at Alan Judge at Brentford. I did like our policy of buying the championships cream of the crop. Always a good bet to have them on board incase the "R" word happens.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]I think certain people need a reality check. Naismith is being almost hero worshipped already as some sort of saviour.

He''s a decent premiership player, and definitely the sort of player we should be looking to sign. But he will not drastically change our fortunes. He''s not a player you build a team around, but a player who is solid all rounder that fits seamlessly into most starting 11''s.

I''m looking forward to the arrival of Naismith, don''t assume otherwise. But I feel his ability is being exaggerated, which may lead to unwarranted pressure and ultimate disappointment.

Even with Pinto, Naismith and Klose, it still feels like we''re missing somthing else. Perhaps if Mulumbu can live up to his hype, and Redmond rediscovers some form, the ingredients are all here.

I''d like us to look at Alan Judge at Brentford. I did like our policy of buying the championships cream of the crop. Always a good bet to have them on board incase the "R" word happens.[/quote]Is this because he could put Hoolahan''s place in jeopardy?[:(]

Tin hat on but I have seen this season that Wes doesn''t run beyond the forward but his passing is too slow in the PL now and we need more dynamism from the No.10 role.

As the game is stretched, Wes will be a useful addition. Naismith offers us that threat we lack.

[quote user="willo"]Tin hat on but I have seen this season that Wes doesn''t run beyond the forward but his passing is too slow in the PL now and we need more dynamism from the No.10 role.

As the game is stretched, Wes will be a useful addition. Naismith offers us that threat we lack.[/quote][Y]

[quote user="lincoln canary"]I think certain people need a reality check. Naismith is being almost hero worshipped already as some sort of saviour.

I''d like us to look at Alan Judge at Brentford.
I did like our policy of buying the championships cream of the crop. Always a good bet to have them on board incase the "R" word happens.[/quote]
Lincoln, I understand you''re only expressing an opinion but try to make the grey cells spin a little faster. When you say, "i''d like us to look at Alan Judge". who do you mean when you say, "us?"
Obviously, you have seen Judge as have I and I''m sure numerous other posters. If, on the other hand, you mean NCFC, then surely you can grasp that those people who are actually employed in the football business have done so likely more than we have. For you to then say ( a couple of lines apart ) that you feel Naismith''s ability is being exaggerated while you''d like us to "look at Judge" well, it comes across as a little naive given that, in order to survive this season, we need to bring people in who can change games in order that we get points on the board.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lincoln canary"]I think certain people need a reality check. Naismith is being almost hero worshipped already as some sort of saviour.

I''d like us to look at Alan Judge at Brentford.
I did like our policy of buying the championships cream of the crop. Always a good bet to have them on board incase the "R" word happens.[/quote]
Lincoln, I understand you''re only expressing an opinion but try to make the grey cells spin a little faster. When you say, "i''d like us to look at Alan Judge". who do you mean when you say, "us?"
Obviously, you have seen Judge as have I and I''m sure numerous other posters. If, on the other hand, you mean NCFC, then surely you can grasp that those people who are actually employed in the football business have done so likely more than we have. For you to then say ( a couple of lines apart ) that you feel Naismith''s ability is being exaggerated while you''d like us to "look at Judge" well, it comes across as a little naive given that, in order to survive this season, we need to bring people in who can change games in order that we get points on the board.
[/quote]

I dont quite understand your post. Clearly I''m referring to Norwich.

Naive? Maybe. But so are you if you''re suggesting that Naismith Is a guranteed game changer. Most Everton fans would probally disagree.

Judge is very much on top of his game right now creating and scoring for an awful lot for a winger. He has fantastic ability and IMO could be far more effective than Jarvis or Redmond, especially on current form.

Anyway I''m not suggesting we sign one and not the other. I''m excited for Naismith, I''d like to sign somebody like Judge too.

[quote user="morty"]They are speaking very, very enthusiastically about him now on SSN, saying he is absolutely perfect for us.[/quote]

This ^^. I think not only will he bring that much needed genuine Prem quality and finally a genuine No 10, but he seems a real competitor and at the age of 29 could be a real leader on the pitch which we clearly are lacking and have been for some time.

I really hope that Naismith turns out to be the long term replacement for Hoolahan.

Too often we sacrifice a goal threat and midfield strength to accommodate a player who can occasionally turn a match. Naismith seems to be able to provide both.

Hoolahan has been a great servant, but he is not the future of NCFC

Just getting back to the original post, it''s interesting to see a player from another fan''s perspective. Thanks for that, a1canary.Hopefully Naismith has a better start to life at Norwich than he did at Everton.  But it''s a reminder that players sometimes need a bit of time to settle before we see their best form.

Here''s another evertonian on Naismith: "I think he will be a really good signing mate. Has real steel and ability too. Sad to see him go and I know plenty of blues who would have him in the team over Barkley. Still, 8m for a 29 year old player we got for free isn''t bad business. I think you boys will like him though."

Another fella compared him to the legendary Robert Fleck! I''d take that!