Sign in to follow this  
Grant Holts Moustache

The 7 year plan and a new era for Norwich City?

We are currently in year 7 of the plan began by McNally and the board upon his appointment whereby they said that in 7 years we would be debt free and making our attempt to establish ourself in the premier league. With lots happening over the last month both at the boardroom and playing level I thought it would be a good time to take stock and look at what we have achieved in that time and ask what does the future hold?

On the field we have made some big signings and and see a squad that''s now starting to look like Alex Neils own rather than a team he inherited. What do you think of the squad now and our chances of survival this season?

When the plan began we were signing players for very small fees, Martin for 100k, Fox for 50K and building a squad that had been decimated by Roeder and relegation. Did you seriously ever think that the plan would result in us being in our position now signing two players for around £16,000,000 and with a realistic opportunity to achieve "becoming an established premier league club"?

The plan only has a few months left on it now and with that in mind we have seen Bowkett move on after achieving his objectives of giving financial stability and we now have Chairman Balls in his place. Fry has stepped down with Tom Smith coming on board and McNally has stated this is part of succession planning. We also see mention of his background as a "planner '' and "decision maker" so I assume the new members have been put in place now so to have the of the season to bed in and begin a new plan with the existing members. On that basis what do you think our next 7 year plan should include for the new era at Norwich City?

Reality says we will only ever be a mid table team at best.

As to the " Plan " it has kind of worked itself out.

As to the signings this window. Who knows how they will work out in relation to what it cost us.

None of them have been regular first team players.

[quote user="MyGodWeArePoorToWatch"]Reality says we will only ever be a mid table team at best.

As to the signings this window. Who knows how they will work out in relation to what it cost us.

None of them have been regular first team players.[/quote][:D]You miserabilists must really be struggling just now.

[quote user="MyGodWeArePoorToWatch"]Reality says we will only ever be a mid table team at best.

None of them have been regular first team players.[/quote]I''m just off to slit my throat.......................[:D]

Think the seven year plan was more to keep the banks happy than an actual plan.

Our success has been beyond the wildest dreams of even the most optimistic 2009 canary.

McNally etc are just as surprised as anyone that we''re actually achieving the aims of the ''plan''.

All sounded like a pipe dream when McNally gave us all his vision for the future, the 7 year Plan. Most supporters were in agreement that it was an exciting prospect, full of highs & lows, but in reality i doubt anyone imagined we would end that 7yr period so close to the vision of that original plan.

Our CE should be very proud, he gets an awful lot of stick but we would be in a much poorer state if it were not for his efforts.

As for the future we must maintain our league status this season, then over 5 years establish ourselves along the lines of teams like Southampton, West Ham, at the same time upgrading CR to a 30-33,000 stadium, oh & get beyond the 3rd rd FA Cup!!!

[quote user="tedwards94"]Think the seven year plan was more to keep the banks happy than an actual plan.

Our success has been beyond the wildest dreams of even the most optimistic 2009 canary.

McNally etc are just as surprised as anyone that we''re actually achieving the aims of the ''plan''.[/quote]
Please don''t be such a bell.
Senior club managers need to have credibility in the eyes of banks, who will not loan millions of pounds in exchange for any old piece of paper with a plan scribbled on it, and who would hold our club accountable for the plan''s non-achievement if we didn''t deliver on it.
Oh, and the seven year plan wasn''t written in 2009.  It was 2010 while we were in the Championship.
Dear God.
Keep looking.

Norwich City chief executive David McNally has laid out his vision of how the club can be playing top flight football within seven years.

The details coincide with the release of City''s end-of-year accounts.

"We are one year into the plan, the plan includes three years in the Championship, first year to settle down," McNally told BBC Radio Norfolk.

"We would then be promoted to the Premier League, allowing for immediate relegation and an immediate return."

He added: "From that point on we would continue to play our football in the Premier League.

"We might be fortunate enough to beat that plan."

"Worked itself out"?! Some people are so clueless it''s genuinely frightening.

Darth Bor, before you get sarky with me, maybe you yourself should check your facts.

Seeing as ''target one'' of the seven year plan was ''promotion for league one'' I find your suggestion that it was conceived whilst we were in the Championship rather puzzling.

The existence of the seven year plan was revealed in December 2010; but it was already at least a year old by this stage.

Good night mate :)

Well Canary_1902 it looks like it is. Seriously.

Also sounds like the club are looking to move forward with work on the training facilities and looking at the expansion again so we are starting to see some off field targets being set. I think we should also be looking to build our network to attract players from around the globe. Maybe through a link up in another country like the states whereby we can send youngsters on loan and get the inside scoop on players in the league. Link ups like this can also be a great way of building the brand internationally.

On the pitch I would love to see us set an ambitious target and try and win a trophy in the next 7 years. If its part of the plan maybe we will see Managers take the league cup and FA cup a little more seriously as they will be held to account then.

It''s strange, isn''t it? Before this season I would''ve said the chances of us ever becoming more than a relegation threatened Premier League club were small. Even so-called ''established'' teams can always have a difficult season and be thrown in to the relegation mix. Fulham were in the EPL for over a decade and then quickly fell from grace, and now look at them..

But things seemed to have changed. Leicester has the real possibility of playing in the Champions League next season, and teams like West Ham and Stoke are knocking on the door. I''m not sure what''s suddenly changed. I guess the vast mountains of cash swilling around the league have ironically evened things out, which can only be a good thing.

Why shouldn''t we have Champions League football?? Screw it, let''s go for the bloody league title within the next 7 years!

Thanks for the link TC. The quote Bor posted says that we were a year into it when it was announced anyway. Some good information contained in the article, had forgotten some of the finer details, like it projected 2 years in league 1, 3 in the championship and only after year 7 being debt free. I also like the bit that we were singing about going up after about 11 games and them trying to calm our expectations. Looking back it is pretty impressive what we have achieved and I hope the next plan is just as ambitious.

Certainly looks as if McNally needs to issue another reality check to supporters. Currently we have a 4-Month Plan with 17th place in the league the target.