Sign in to follow this  
Fig Roll

Can we have too many new signings?!

Although we have signed five players this window, in effect, there''s only (probably) three new faces in the first team squad, with Jarvis already here and Godfrey presumably going into the development squad. With AN''s "one or two more" (which I think is actually likely to be three more - a forward, a goalkeeper and possibly another defender) would five or six new players (20% or 25% of the squad) boost or undermine the confidence of the existing squad members?

I personally think and hope it will be morale boosting but put the idea up for discussion.

Hit the ground running with the right personalities and players and it can work. Let''s just hope none of our signings "pull a wolfie" ''eh? :)

It is theoretically possible to have have ''too many new signings'' especially in January, but is 3, 4, or 5 new first team players too many*? Personally I don''t think so.

* For the record I''m not counting Godfrey here as he won''t be in the first team nor Jarvis as he''s been here all season.

I always used to think there was a limit, but Watfords summer splurge has me questioning whether thats right or not!!

If you have a squad with a real team spirit then you can certainly undermine it by bringing in too many signings.  I have the impression with Watford that since they''ve had the Italian connection, they''ve had a lot of players coming and going relatively short-term anyway, which may be why it''s not been a problem for them.

Looking back, since Lambert took us up to the Prem, we''ve had a pretty hefty turnover of players every single year, and how well it has worked has depended on the individuals.  When we started Hughton''s last season, I remember the game at Hull when we were trying to get an equalizer against 10 men, and with 10-15 minutes to go, it seemed to me there were too many players who had basically given up and were going through the motions - Fer, RVW and Elmander being the prime examples IMO.  So one of the positives about Naismith for example is that it''s often mentioned how whole-hearted a player he is.

Also of course last summer we had an unusually small number of signings for a promoted team.  Hopefully the experience in the league since then will make all the current players aware that we need these signings to improve our chances of staying up.

I think it was time this squad had a shake up.  We''ve had quite a few new players over the last couple of years, but it sometimes seems that a lethargy creeps in too easily into our play.  Why that is I''m not sure. It could be complacency, or being too laid back, or players not self-motivated enough.  Whatever the reason, bringing characters like Naismith in, with some experienced no nonsense defenders in Pinto and Klose could be the tonic that the squad needed to perk it up for every game rather than juat a few games at a time. To reply to the op - yes, imo you could  have too many people coming in if they are the wrong sort - but as long as they are good characters - it should not be a problem.  Alex Neil is no mug and will bring in the right kind of feisty, competitive players to gee the squad up.

Apparently Barcelons signed 77 when their transfer ban thingy ended, id guess that would be a case of to many if we equalled that.Onto more realistic things, of course amount of new signings needs a big helping hand from the number of outgoings. Seems Whitts may be in demand next few days, and if Laffs goes theres 2 slots potentially to fill already. LDC is right in saying the team needed a shake up, to many times this season theres been matches when we just had no oomph or zip..Muff game was prolly the worst but  can recall away to Saints early on and 1 or 2 others.If Whitts and Lafferty were to join E Benno and Grabban in departing,then it gives City space to bring new blood, shake the team structure, but without losing its main frame players.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I think it was time this squad had a shake up.  We''ve had quite a few new players over the last couple of years, but it sometimes seems that a lethargy creeps in too easily into our play.  Why that is I''m not sure. It could be complacency, or being too laid back, or players not self-motivated enough.  Whatever the reason, bringing characters like Naismith in, with some experienced no nonsense defenders in Pinto and Klose could be the tonic that the squad needed to perk it up for every game rather than juat a few games at a time. To reply to the op - yes, imo you could  have too many people coming in if they are the wrong sort - but as long as they are good characters - it should not be a problem.  Alex Neil is no mug and will bring in the right kind of feisty, competitive players to gee the squad up.

[/quote]No concentrating 100% of the time and not running around enough are the obvious answers LDC [;)]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="lake district canary"]I think it was time this squad had a shake up.  We''ve had quite a few new players over the last couple of years, but it sometimes seems that a lethargy creeps in too easily into our play.  Why that is I''m not sure. It could be complacency, or being too laid back, or players not self-motivated enough.  Whatever the reason, bringing characters like Naismith in, with some experienced no nonsense defenders in Pinto and Klose could be the tonic that the squad needed to perk it up for every game rather than juat a few games at a time. To reply to the op - yes, imo you could  have too many people coming in if they are the wrong sort - but as long as they are good characters - it should not be a problem.  Alex Neil is no mug and will bring in the right kind of feisty, competitive players to gee the squad up.

[/quote]No concentrating 100% of the time and not running around enough are the obvious answers LDC [;)][/quote]

Ahh.......you could be right!  [:D]