Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Bottom 3 again soon?

That''s the thing; as long as NCFC continue to exist then I really don''t see what some people get so agitated about. I''m sure nearly all of us have been around long enough to see that nearly anything can happen. Between now and the end of the season we could spend some time in the bottom three and subsequently pull clear, we could drop into the bottom three and never leave them, we could bob in and out of the bottom three and either clamber to safety at the death or drop out of the EPL with a whimper, or we may just steer clear of it altogether. Nobody knows how we will perform with the new signings nor how our competitors will perform with theirs (or lack thereof). Form and injuries and for our team and others will contribute, as will weather conditions and decisions by managers, players and officials.That''s what makes it all so exciting.
Our new players could all result in the improved performances and results we hope for, or some/all of them could be a huge disappointment. We will possibly win a game or two we expected to lose and we will almost certainly lose a game or two we expected to win. Some of the inevitable draws will feel like wins and others will feel more like we lost. There are no assurances in football. As others have indicated already; that''s what makes it exciting!
Why follow a team at all if the constant fear of relegation makes you miserable? These are exciting times; just enjoy it!

And another thing; why do so many of my posts end up at the top of a new page!!!!!? It''s a damned conspiracy I tell ye!
Grrrr!

It''s a well known fact that staying up will solely depend on our running ability...if only someone could produce the stats to back this up...

Apples

[quote user="Mr Apples"]

It''s a well known fact that staying up will solely depend on our running ability...if only someone could produce the stats to back this up...

[/quote]Stats?No problem.I can confirm that all our players can run That is except for one and he''s off to Sheff Weds

Everyone likes a nice cat picture, Chip. It''s a cheery start to a new page.

As to the thread, I''ll admit I''m not so focused on the worries as Yorks Canary is, and I''m not so sure as others that we have no need to be concerned about our position. (Yes...a beige shade of yellow must be my favourite colour.)

City have done excellent business, really happy with the window so far, but then we haven''t seen any of them play for us and team performance is more than the sum of the parts and we all know about good/bad luck in football too.

What I do think is that it''s up to Yorks if he wants to fear the worst and let us know. He has, as ever, eloquently described the reasons for his worries. Now, I disagree with the focus, as we could equally do really well, but I don''t feel it threatens my sense of positivity to the point that I need to rubbish his point of view.

We have Newcastle, Sunderland, Watford and West Ham to come at home who on our day we could and should beat.

We also have Liverpool and Chelsea who I think we could get at least a draw... Provided once again, we play to the best of our ability.

Then we have Man U, Spurs and Man city... A draw would be a good result and not impossible

We then have Away games against Villa, Swansea and West Brom... Tough but I''d rate these as ''do not lose games'' to deny any of those 3 points. If we could win 1 and draw 2 that in my mind would be a good return.

Of the other games; Palace and Leicester could suprise us... Hard to call. I''d write off Aresnal away haha

Ultimately, the point I think most important is that fate is still very much in our hands. We have to win those important home games and deny our rivals full points at their grounds at the very least.

Did the predictor, in a very pessimistic mood and with only wins away to Villa and home to Newcastle and Sunderland plus a few draws and we ended up with 38 points, will that be enough ?

So to get 40 points we need to get 4 wins and 5 draws from 16 games. It''s not exactly requiring a Leicester style effort to achieve this.

I don''t really see why people think Newcastle, Sunderland and Swansea are too good to go down. They haven''t shown anything this season to suggest their position is false.

[quote user="GenerationA47"]Everyone likes a nice cat picture, Chip. It''s a cheery start to a new page.

As to the thread, I''ll admit I''m not so focused on the worries as Yorks Canary is, and I''m not so sure as others that we have no need to be concerned about our position. (Yes...a beige shade of yellow must be my favourite colour.)

City have done excellent business, really happy with the window so far, but then we haven''t seen any of them play for us and team performance is more than the sum of the parts and we all know about good/bad luck in football too.

What I do think is that it''s up to Yorks if he wants to fear the worst and let us know. He has, as ever, eloquently described the reasons for his worries. Now, I disagree with the focus, as we could equally do really well, but I don''t feel it threatens my sense of positivity to the point that I need to rubbish his point of view.[/quote]
Well said.

Cheer up - it might never happen! We have just signed some really talented players and there are plenty of games left. Last time I looked we weren''t actually in the relegation zone. We all know that staying in this league is bloody hard. We are in there fighting - most of expected it will be a close run thing (couple of points either way). Personally I trust AN. In the darkest moments (which are not now) reflect - things could be one hell of a lot worse - we could have appointed Neil Lennon - we are not £180 million in debt - we have been in the Champs before and bounced back - and we have a realistic chance of staying up. OTBC.

I would be more optimistic about these next couple of home games had Gary O''Neil not been daft enough to get himself suspended.  Our home form has been good with him and Tettey patrolling in front of the back four. But solving this kind of problem is what managers are paid for and no doubt Alex Neil has a plan for Liverpool and plan for Spurs.  I think once O''Neil returns we''ll push up the table a bit. Might have to deal with a two match ban for Tettey at some point too. Food for thought for the club while the transfer window is still open though. Is central midfield an area we need to strengthen if Dorrans and Mulumbu aren''t contributing?

Some really  important and warming points made in this topic. I will stick rigid to my pre season guess of 33 points and relegation,but this is not a whine or a moan, guys in this topic have pointed out some obvious truths but can be over looked as many of us are labelled happy clappers or whiners, as if theres no middle way allowed. Anyway...Going up and down is not a new thing to us and more importantly to our Board,if we did go down we are still pretty solid financially, having had 4 / 5 years in the Prem. and im sure the Board always have to have a preparation in place for a club such as ours. Last time we went down we pretty much kept the squad together, but Alex arrived halfway thru a season and inherited another manager or twos players, his sole aim was to steer City back to the Prem, no mean achievement. We all groaned last Summer about not strengthening in key  areas, but in reality Alex was a relatively new inexperienced manager who was probably asked to much off after only 6 months in charge.This window has enthused me no end, not just getting new faces in, on paper good ones to, but seemingly Alex is now purging the team of many of the ones who we have no need of, for varying reasons. So, even if relegated, hopefully if we can keep our new guys with us,  next season in the Champs could be actually pretty  fun. Our team to would ne more Alexs team, not CHs or Lambos. Even going down, Alex has earned my respect as City boss, and is entitled 1 relegation but staying as boss. Lots of teams in the Champs just will not have the financial clout, or quality of players that City have. Finally, have to smile at them lot down the road, trying again for a push for play offs. I see their squad, and think if they go up, they wont believe the cost of everything, 15 years has changed the Premier in a way they cannot imagine. They may think theyre walking into a pile of riches, but the cost of new players, higher wages, everything else, soon eats into all that lovely  moolah. So yea, the media make out relegation is the end of life as we know it, but we are NCFC, we can handle it. If nothing else, we always have our tradition of welcoming Ricky back home, debating about him, watching him score 1 goal in some cup game then wishing him well on another seasons loan  lol.

[quote user="hertfordyellow"]So to get 40 points we need to get 4 wins and 5 draws from 16 games. It''s not exactly requiring a Leicester style effort to achieve this.

I don''t really see why people think Newcastle, Sunderland and Swansea are too good to go down. They haven''t shown anything this season to suggest their position is false.[/quote]
There is something in many football fans'' DNA that persuades them that every other team is capable of (read, likely to) improving their form but Norwich. Granted, there is evidence that it can happen (I still can''t believe Sunderland pulled off the great escape under Poyet that time, nor how Norwich contrived to not win a single away game all season to get relegated the time before last) but there is often a pervading sense that only Norwich are incapable of pulling themselves out of the mire.

[quote user="Chip20"][quote user="hertfordyellow"]So to get 40 points we need to get 4 wins and 5 draws from 16 games. It''s not exactly requiring a Leicester style effort to achieve this.

I don''t really see why people think Newcastle, Sunderland and Swansea are too good to go down. They haven''t shown anything this season to suggest their position is false.[/quote]
There is something in many football fans'' DNA that persuades them that every other team is capable of (read, likely to) improving their form but Norwich. Granted, there is evidence that it can happen (I still can''t believe Sunderland pulled off the great escape under Poyet that time, nor how Norwich contrived to not win a single away game all season to get relegated the time before last) but there is often a pervading sense that only Norwich are incapable of pulling themselves out of the mire.
[/quote]
Of course we can pull ourselves out of the mire, we''ve done it at least once before. The secret is to leave it late -- until the teams we play are already on the beach. And to add even more cheer, we don''t have to play Fulham ..................

The championship is littered with big teams "too big to go down". Taking off any rose-tinted glasses, I would still be more worried if I was a Swansea, Sunderland, Aston Villa fan. I would then put Norwich, Newcastle and Bournemouth in the "could also go down but have signed well this window" category.

I still worry about Norwich, but I do also see 3 worse teams in this division at this moment in time.

It''s just not fair, if Jeromes goal in the opening game would have been given we would have had momentum and we could have been where Leicester are... it''s a bloody conspiracy I tell you.

Aye, a good number of teams can still get dragged into it and our destiny is still in our own hands. Here''s hoping our new signings can all have an immediate and positive impact.

A Watford fan I know is worried. 4 defeats in a row, Igahlo and Deeney gone off the boil and if they don''t beat Newcastle this weekend, they''ve got Chelsea and Spurs after that.

If us, Newcastle and Bournemouth continue to pick up points, Watford are definitely back in the mire.

As things stand, anyone from West Brom downwards look like they could be in danger, bar Chelsea of course.

I also think Watford are not out of this.

We are not in the bottom 3 and I would think that all Norwich fans would say we have improved our squad in this Transfer Window? Have the teams below us, bettered that (yet)? I am certainly not convinced.

That , of course, is no guarantee, but I would certainly prefer our management team, than Villa''s, Newcastle''s, Watford''s, and Swansea''s. I certainly wouldn''t pick many players out of their squads, that I would want here. Big Sam has to be respected but he hasn''t got a very good team imo.

A long way to go, many ups and downs, but at this moment in time, I am very confident in what we have here.