Sign in to follow this  
morty

Strikers.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]I think Gayle will end up here ... especially if Haller really has snubbed us.[/quote]

I just really hope it wouldn''t be for more than 6 mill. IMO even that''s high, but going beyond that for him? That would be so aggravating.

I''d rather sign Crouch on loan, would be far better than the likes of Gayle etc.....

Hellar is the one young stand out player the rest being talked about just would not improve what we have.....might as well keep Laffs & Hooper then spend 6 million plus on Gayle IMO.

^ which is understandable. Disagree on the Hooper thing (only for the fact of his salary and Lafferty is a better option. Getting ANY amount of money would be highway robbery, he''s gone in the summer one way or another. He prob. knows that and it would be him alone that holds up any deal cuz he won''t want to take a pay cut).

I don''t think Gayle is great, just of the other options out there he''s more attractive. (I don''t mind Crouch, but he''s well well well past it and not in shape and constantly injured. Not worth it IMO).

Crouch would probably get us a few goals, wouldn''t say no to a loan move.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Hooper is at least as effective as Gayle.[/quote]

Pretty sure Hooper hasn''t scored 12 PL goals in fewer starts than Hooper, so no.

Oh wow. That should have said ''pretty sure Hooper hasn''t scored 12 PL goals in more starts than Gayle...

Seriously, Gayle has tripled Hooper''s goal from play total in 1 less start in the PL league... Yeah, Hooper''s soooo much better... hilarity.

''''I saw a league table, the other day, showing stats for injuries this season, and we have been very, very lucky so far!''''.......Morty

Probably because we dont run around as much as other teams. lots of talk about how Liverpools Klopp high press game has played havoc with those delicate flowers.

On a serious note Shane Long would be a perfect fit for us, Tin Tin on pro plus was how Roy Hodgson described him. I''ve been a fan of SL for years as he started as a pro for Cork City, he was also a County Hurling player, and if any of you have seen that game you''ll know that it takes pace, bravery and skill. His all round game has improved with maturity, has Irish pals at CR .The rejection of Liverpools offer doesnt put me off as there could be many reasons behind the scenes.

Another major bonus in attracting him is that being Oirish, should the unthinkable happen and we are relegated, his place in the National team would be unaffected if he is playing well. On Irish radio the other day, they were discussing why he might want to leave Soton, main reason.......wants to be first choice striker, he''d have no probs with lone striker role and would combine well with Naismith, Wes , Robbie etc.

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]''''I saw a league table, the other day, showing stats for injuries this season, and we have been very, very lucky so far!''''.......Morty

Probably because we dont run around as much as other teams. lots of talk about how Liverpools Klopp high press game has played havoc with those delicate flowers.

On a serious note Shane Long would be a perfect fit for us, Tin Tin on pro plus was how Roy Hodgson described him. I''ve been a fan of SL for years as he started as a pro for Cork City, he was also a County Hurling player, and if any of you have seen that game you''ll know that it takes pace, bravery and skill. His all round game has improved with maturity, has Irish pals at CR .The rejection of Liverpools offer doesnt put me off as there could be many reasons behind the scenes.

Another major bonus in attracting him is that being Oirish, should the unthinkable happen and we are relegated, his place in the National team would be unaffected if he is playing well. On Irish radio the other day, they were discussing why he might want to leave Soton, main reason.......wants to be first choice striker, he''d have no probs with lone striker role and would combine well with Naismith, Wes , Robbie etc.[/quote]There used to be a guy on here who didn''t half bat on about the running thing....[;)]

I''d love the likes of Long (and I''m not even a big fan). He''s proven he can score at this level at a respectable level and is a handful despite not being that gifted. You have to pay a lot to get him though (it is actually worth it which is surprising). A guy that always finds a way on the field though he''s behind technically better players.

I would also love a player like Mame Biram Diouf (except not him as he seems quite injury prone.)

There used to be a guy on here who didn''t half bat on about the running thing....Wink [;)]

Naughty, Naughty........but yep, it was put in just for that reason.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Lots of talk about bringing in a striker, but what do we actually want / need?

I am quite excited by the signing of Naismith, but not 100% who is likely to make way for him, I think Howson may be looking over his shoulder ? Cant see AN changing the way we play drastically at this stage of the season, so any new strikers would have to be able to play the lone role.[/quote]

Howson will only be looking over his shoulder to check hoolihan is safely on the bench and naismith has replaced him.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I wouldn''t say a striker who holds the ball up is ''old fashioned''. Lewandoski is a prime example of a striker who puts his foot on the ball to bring others into the game - and Bayern certainly aren''t playing a retro style. Many teams who base their game on possession need a striker who can drop deep to link attack to midfield. AN has tried to play possession football consistently whilst at Norwich, so I would think that is exactly the type of striker he wants.

A big guy to hit long balls to for flick ons is probably more old fashioned, but still key to many teams. Lukaku is a great example of a modern striker - big and strong so he can win aerially or hold onto the ball, but also with excellent pace over 5 - 10 yards.

Jerome is very quick, certainly quicker than many give him credit for and he showed this against Man U for his first goal.[/quote]

"I wouldn''t say a striker who holds the ball up is ''old fashioned''." - Neither would I. It needs to be part of most strikers game but a modern day lone striker needs a lot more to their game than just that.

Canary Wunderboy wrote: "As long as I''m a Norwich fan I''ll never understand why we don''t just emulate Watford and play 2 strikers".
Get on with you. Next you''ll be telling us you''d like to see a couple of out and out wingers and you''re hoping Timm Klose is Duncan Forbes Mark II. [;)]

Bony is probably available but wages alone would be problematic. But I think Mbokani is expected to be our Bony

SSN reporting that Blackburn would be open to offers for Jordan Rhodes of around 12m.Also reporting that Sheff Wed are interested, so I wonder if this could derail any deal for Hooper?

I think once Wednesday  heard that Rhodes was valued at 12 million, the "are interested was changed to "were interested."  Even though Wesnesday plainly have had more financial backing this season, i struggle to believe they have 12 mill to sign a fellow Championship player. In anycase id imagine Rhodes would look for a Premier club, as Afobe did.

Alex Neil just said in the press conference that Haller looking unlikely now, and he can''t understand why someone would choose playing in the Europa league on a Thursday night, over the Premier league.

"Alex Neil just said in the press conference that Haller looking unlikely now, and he can''t understand why someone would choose playing in the Europa league on a Thursday night, over the Premier league."

I just saw that.

I''m guessing then that the aim for next season is Champions League then, as AN obviously doesn''t value the Europa League that much (which, to be fair, is fine. It''s a joke of a competition - bring back the UEFA cup!)

My concern is that in the Prem we normally need 5 in midfield. Hoppers problem has always been he can''t play alone up front so had to play off a striker making us light in midfield. Hence his most effective spell in the Prem was alongside Elmsmder and we could only play them together against lesser teams.

So now we have Naismith will he be played as part of that 5-man midfield and will it work to have Wes played with him? Some comments are that Naismith isn''t so good on the passing side of the game and we rely heavily on Wed for creativity. I''m sure having spent £8m on Naismith the expectation is that he''ll play a starting role.

Up front this leaves us looking for a striker who could be an upgrade (potentially a younger player with scope to improve). If we can find one that would be great but if not, it''s not the end of the world IMO,