Sign in to follow this  
Ray

Who did the pundits blame, RM or others?

A good original post Ray, but I think personally the crowds judgement on Martin is not based solely on one game. He has been consistent in his (sometimes quite dreadful) mistakes all season, and for the most part last season when playing CB. He came to the club as a RB, and was at his most consistent in that position in the Lambert days and beyond. He seems to suggest that his best position is CB, and has said that he prefers that role after representing Scotland in the position. Unfortunately for him I think opposition managers and coaches have found him out, and if you are consistently putting him under pressure, you force the mistakes out of him, and at Prem level, such mistakes get even more heavily punished than at championship. This in turn makes Bassong, and even Bennett when he has played with Martin at CB, nervous, and it then spreads throughout the team as other sides build up a head of steam against us, and today was a prime example. Liverpool didn''t win it today, they were given it at 3-2 by Russell''s inadvertent back pass, and from there the mistakes came across the park as we sat deeper and deeper. The most annoying aspect for me was that having made the mistake, Russell stood with his heads in his hands immediately he realised what he had done, he didn''t chase the mistake like he should have done. And then he meekly apologised to Rudd. He is our captain, it was down to him to galvanise the team, pick them up and get them going. He didn''t, because deep down I suggest he knows his time in the side is nigh at an end, and he doesn''t need belittlement from any of us.

KIO, can''t have been Martin''s fault, they would have been the fault of Redmond for not tracking back, Bennett for not knowing that Martin can''t stop crosses and Rudds''s for not keeping the ball out of the net.

As I posted earlier, it was either sky or BT who should highlights before the game and it looked like they were demonstrating his inability to defend properly

RT,

I may well agree with some of what you say, but my point is he ain''t the only one and he does a lot of good stuff. Some of the others on here need to take off their blinkers and look outside of RM if they really want to blame. Why pick solely on RM.

For example, Pinto was caught out a number of times today, is he getting pelters, no, because he was let down by the midfield apparently and I agree, he was, but so has every RB we''ve played over the last 3 or 4 years but for some reason only RM & Whitts get stick?

RM gives of his all, yes for some this may not be good enough but he does his best and for that he should be congratulated, will he be replaced by Klose, possibly, will he replace Pinto at RB, possibly, will he go on to manage the club, possibly, will AN and Strachan continue to select him, possibly, but given the fact he bleeds NCFC why do some poster have the need to lay in to him on such a personal basis.

Says a lot about them I guess.

GJP,

Your reply of ''unlikely'' I shall take as there is a chance it may be the case.

I finish on the following; some you can lead to water, etc, etc. and I have often heard the phrase "They walk amongst us" I prefer to say that unfortunately, "We walk amongst them".

Goodnight all, I have other things to get on with for a while, however, I may be back!

Thank you all for your entertainment.

Agree it can get a bit personal sometimes but that''s just frustration.

I''ve met RM and he is a really nice guy, it''s not about that for me as I''m sure lots o players are nice guys, and I also agree others were also to blame......the problem is this isn''t the first time this has happened.

He doesn''t look like a confident player and for me he needs to be taken out of the side.

If you look at the winner, there were 3 or 4 players ballwatching and chasing after it, thereby gifting the opportunity to the scorer. It''s a good example of the team lacking cohesion and the resulting tendency to panic.Even if some of the more obvious errors were eradicated, the core problem would remain ie we''d still give the ball away too much and suffer because of it.Blaming individuals is merely highlighting the symptoms, as opposed to pointing to the root cause.

[quote user="93vintage"]Blaming individuals is merely highlighting the symptoms, as opposed to pointing to the root cause.[/quote]But the root cause is individuals & every week it''s a different one that does something really silly.We are our own worst enemy.

I have only seen the goals live, so haven''t had the benefit of a TV breakdown. Obviously RM was at fault for the terrible back pass, which is an absolutely breathtaking error and lost Firmino for the fourth.However, he was not the only player to make mistakes. I was told that Brady played Firmino onside for the first and that Dorrans didn''t track Henderson for the second (which changed the match). It wasn''t just RM.

No it wasn''t just Martin today- but he has been consistently poor all season at CB so it isn''t just todays game. A fair few of us before the game were amazed to see him back in at centre back and were not hugely surprised to see him drop yet another b*llock.

What the hell are you on about?

His performance isn''t his fault, it''s the manager''s?

Not so much ''fault'' - but ultimate ''responsibility'' of the manager, yes. As the selector, AN is the one who puts RM there & instructs him.

I alluded to my thoughts already in the "Positives" topic thats been shunted down the page by to many  silly "Neil Out" topics, but anyway...methinks today will be regarded in times future as a transitional watershed, much like  the colchester 1-7 game was. That was a club changing watershed, this not as massive, a team changing, but still important, and a day that may well be looked back on often, the bizarre high score helping  that just like the Colchester one did.Im not a pundit, just a fan, and also not blaming, just observing. Today we saw the old City, led by Russ Martin, and saw why as fans we have known we needed change, especially in defence, for  a couple of seasons now. We also saw the beginnings of the new, a hungry Naisy who will make our attack more potent, Pinto, who i think will learn as he goes along and be a decent RB, and Klose, who is only a week or two from his debutIm not sure what happened today, putting Martin at CB. If Alex did indeed just drop Ryan B tactically, why was he not even on the bench? If that was the case, then Alex  got it wrong, but these posts about sacking him are ludicrous. He is building a new team, but for a club like NCFC it cannot be done in a single window. If we stay up, he can have more funds in Summer for more players, if we go down, itll likely take 12-18 months longer. But staying up or going down is so short term, and our Board are the best to deal with it, they have the experience of course! In anycase, if going down, long as we hold on to the new signings, it could be fun playing them lot down the road with the likes of Naisy and Klose in the team! The Martins and Whitts of this world, and a few others, will be replaced by new guys, and we will still be shouting OTBC.

People like to blame one individual because people with a low iq like to keep things simple and are not bright enough to grasp the complexity of reality

[quote user="T"]People like to blame one individual because people with a low iq like to keep things simple and are not bright enough to grasp the complexity of reality[/quote]

Whilst I wouldn''t want to comment on others IQ, I do find it annoying that fans seem to pick on a few targets with regularity. Nathan Redmond seems to be getting quite a lot of stick from those around me, who seemed to think that he should have been picking up the winger (was it Ibe?) rather than the left back when Liverpool attacked.

[quote user=" Badger"]I have only seen the goals live, so haven''t had the benefit of a TV breakdown. Obviously RM was at fault for the terrible back pass, which is an absolutely breathtaking error and lost Firmino for the fourth.However, he was not the only player to make mistakes. I was told that Brady played Firmino onside for the first and that Dorrans didn''t track Henderson for the second (which changed the match). It wasn''t just RM. [/quote]

He was also nowhere near the man he was supposed to be marking for their third who I think scored that goal. Pinto was at fault for that goal too though.

"People like to blame one individual because people with a low iq like to keep things simple and are not bright enough to grasp the complexity of reality"

That is pretty embarrassing. Always one smart arse. Oh look at me with my philosophical outlook on life and everyone else is below me.

More drivel from Ray. No one is laying into Martin on a personal level. They are rightly laying into him for his peformances on the pitch. It''s irrelevant that you ''know him personally''. It''s irrelevant ''that he bleeds NCFC''. It''s irrelevant ''that he gives 100%''. I know many people personally who bleed NCFC, and would give 100% if you put a shirt on them and sent them out for a match. But they wouldn''t be up to it, and neither is Martin. Off the pitch he is a fantastic representative for the club, he comes across a decent, well spoken guy. But on the pitch he is a constant defensive liability, and for a captain has zero leadership qualities.

Worst captain in NCFC history. Even if he did have a voice on the pitch and any kind of organisational abilities why would any of the players listen to him when he lets them down so often with his schoolboy individual errors.

It is actually very basic human physiology. It is not a question of superiority as anyone with basic common sense realises it is silly to just criticise one individual in a team sport. What is embarrassing is those people who can''t grasp this basic reality or who get hostile when this basic reality is pointed out. Classic defensive aggressive behaviour.