Sign in to follow this  
USA Canary

New Manager Candidates...What's our Short List?

Your avatar is most appropriate MR C. Like most people on here, you''re all saying get worthy out, then think of a replacement. D''oh!!

Does this need to be spelt out to people?

WE NEED TO HAVE A REPLACEMENT MANAGER LINED UP BEFORE WE SACK THE CURRENT ONE.
And as this and other threads have proved, right now there is precious little out there. Do you want to be in the position Spurs were in after they dumped idiot boy hoddle? With an ineffective back up in place while the board fannies about looking for a replacement, while the rumour mill goes into overdrive, and the results of the temporary incumbent go into freefall...? How many were rumoured to be lined up for the Spurs hot seat before Jol was actually installed? The reality was they didn''t have anyone!

It helps no-one and effectively puts the club on ice for potentially most of a season. Spurs got a decent manager in in the end but not without a lot of pain and hassle along the way and a flirt with relegation. We can''t afford that in div 1, let alone if we were in the prem.

[quote]You guys are VERY funny! Go through the list so far and discard all the has-beens and Martin O''Neill - who we''d all love, but who has a sick wife and bigger fish to fry when she gets better. Now you...[/quote]

Worthington is still learning? How can that be - he''s one of the countries longest serving managers!

Keegan for me. Avaliable, he''s seen what we can do and those who said he achieved nothing at Man City should remember he took them from Division Two into a Premiership regular. Yes, he might not have done much else, but frankly we need someone who''s done that for another club.

Judging by this on the 606 message board:

"Hoddle talks a good game but we havent sufficiently strenghtened especially in midfield, with out Ince we are toothless, it takes a 38 yrd YES A 38 YR OLD WARHORSE to wake up the team,

i am soo fed up and well cheesed off at the mo. Hoddle should wake up and smell the coffee. we are not banging in the goals, conceding at the back far to often for my likin, stick to a winnin side and enough of his cockney flannel about formations!!!

Money from the Camara sale £5.8M where is it?? we cocked up big time with the rasiak and indo transfer saga which ran on for months!! Not learnt our lesson..... AGAIN!!"

I guess we wouldn''t want Hoddle then. Nor would they want Worthy!

As I previously stated, I would certainly like Ian Holloway as our manager, and I''ll be at QPR on Saturday and may have a word in his shell-like, (just to see if he was interested)....Although, because of his personality, I don''t think he would be accepted by our board....

If Worthy was to go soon (whatever the circumstances) David Williams would get my vote to take on the role on a temporary basis till May. He has experience, a good pedigree, knows the Club, he has a lot of respect from staff, he coaches the future prospects and has the ability to turn this club around- without too much disruption to the playing/coaching infrastructure. If he''s a success, give him the appointment fulltime!

Whatever occurs, we can moan & groan till we are blue in the face, but on the Pink''un Forum; "NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM!"

ON THE FALL CITY! ;~)

On a final observation, where''s MadDan?

I know a young, up and coming manager with a good record of bringing in quality players and the proven ability to get a team in to the premiership.........

Nigel Worthington anyone??!!!

Surely better than long ball - wilko, graham taylor

no tactical ability - keegan

remember what he did to leicester? - Peter Taylor

long term solutions??! - venables, robson?

Boothroyd, newell etc fair enough but they have less track record than worthy.

All the relagated teams have struggled and all the above managers would have problems with these injuries.

Lets stop booing and bickering and support the team..... till christmas at least!

[quote]I know a young, up and coming manager with a good record of bringing in quality players and the proven ability to get a team in to the premiership......... Nigel Worthington anyone??!!! Surely bette...[/quote]

"Surely better than long ball" - have you watched us recently? Wilkinson is Worthy''s mentor.

"No tactical ability" - do I really need to anser this one (diamonds and defensive mindset spring to mind)

"Remember what he did to Leicester" - so one club. Worthy wasn''t great at Blackpool to be honest.

"Long terms solutions" - agree we need someone who is young or at least has a few years left.

"good record of bringing in quality players" - erm about 50/50 here I would say. When he''s spent big money on players they have been quality and his loans have been good but he''s also bought some crap as well.

"proven ability to get a team into the premiership" - and take it back out again with barely a whimper!

Just because there are no "obvious" candidates out there doesn''t mean there are none.

I have 4 very senior managers and over 40 middle managers reporting in to me and from time to time some of them need to be replaced because of poor performance. It is very rare that there is a ready made replacement available. However, you put the word out that you are looking for someone; test the water with contacts; place some adverts and get the "head hunters" at work - lo and behold someone always surfaces.

For me, we should be testing the water with Peter Taylor; Micky Phelan and George Burley for starters.

Always remember that overall more is lost by taking no decisions rather than sometimes making the wrong decison.

[quote]Just because there are no "obvious" candidates out there doesn''t mean there are none. I have 4 very senior managers and over 40 middle managers reporting in to me and from time to time some of them n...[/quote]

George Burley?
Are you having a laugh?
Sorry, but I don''t want soiled goods here, wouldn''t work.

Pardon my ignorance but isnt thier an ex-canary dutchman who is managing in Belguim. I remember reading a report on this site and he had taken his team to the top league on a shoestring budget. In the interview with him he said he would love to coach in England and has very fond memories of Norwich which suggests to me that he wants to come back. Go for him IMO, not necessarily as manager but maybe as Assistant or Head Coach, anything is better than what we have got.

Barry Fry!
Nah, just kidding, bit late for him really, but when Agent Hamilton was sacked he was my first choice.

Peter Taylor of Hull. The man is a genius. He can get the worst players to play great football. Or Mark bowen, with assistant Iwan Roberts. Having said that Lou and Andy from little britain could do a better job than the current regime.

Have to disagree with you on Burley - his record is exemplary, and one of the few British manages deserving of making the current world top 10 managers, whether he managed the binners or not. 

I would love to see us go for him but why would he swap champions league footie next year for champs?

OTBC

[quote]George Burley? Are you having a laugh? Sorry, but I don''t want soiled goods here, wouldn''t work.[/quote]

Why wouldn''t Burley work Herb?, you must have a reason, please enlighten us all.

I''d have him in a shot.

[quote]Why wouldn''t Burley work Herb?, you must have a reason, please enlighten us all. I''d have him in a shot.[/quote]

I thought I made it quite clear.
Hes an ex-binner, the fans would be on his back within weeks if he wasn''t winning every game.

George Burley? The name rings a bell... Oh yes, wasn''t he the man who got promotion for an East Anglian club, was manager when they were relegated, then sacked after a disappointing start to their Championship campaign?

For some reason that sounds familiar.

The comparison of Burley to Worthington is wrong.

Sure, Burley got relegated and then had a bad start to the season after relegation, but that was his only bad spell during his time at Colchester, Portaloo Road, Derby and Hearts. The Scum spent years at the top of the old Division One and also finished fifth in the Premiership while Burley was in charge there.

Worthington, meanwhile, has had one good spell (the promotion season) in a fairly mediocre managerial career (just ask Blackpool fans). All we''ve had this season is a reversion to type, whereas when the Scum sacked Burley it was a kneejerk reaction to a fairly untypical spell for them.

I can''t see how you can describe Worthington''s career at Norwich as mediocre. We were a shambles when he arrived. In the play-off season he made us disciplined and increasingly hard to beat, and made some extremely shrewd signings (Holt and Drury the most obvious). We didn''t make much progress the following year, but, when many were thinking he could do no more (me included) he gave the team exactly what it needed - a decent strike force - and we were champions as a result. I think that compares quite favourably to Burley''s repeated failures to get Ipswich past the play-offs .

Fair enough, Burley then made quite an impression on the Premiership, but you could argue that his signings the following season (Finidi George, etc) have put Ipswich in a mess from which they still haven''t recovered. In contrast, Worthy may have disappointed a lot of people last season, but just as many agreed with the policy of not breaking the bank.

So of the last four full seasons, I would say Worthington''s performance was excellent (play-offs), average (eighth), excellent (champions) and disappointing (relegation). Those four seasons together don''t equal mediocrity. 

I haven''t seen any games this season (no Championship on Star Sports over here) and could easily agree that Worthy''s time is up, but he has done a great job for this football club all in all, and to say otherwise is rewriting history.

I''m not qualified to say whether he should go. But the list of names on this thread confirm that finding a better replacement won''t be easy.

Lets get one thing clear.  Under no circumstances can Worthys record for city be said to be average or poor.  He has done exceptionally well, exceeding our dreams for what he could acheive when he took over.

However, as happens with ALL managers, I feel that Worthy has taken this club as far as he can.  He is no longer offering anything new and seems incapable of changing the current situation round.

His development has stopped here and that is not good for him or the club.  He is repeating mistake time over time.

City need a breath of fresh air - as does Worthy, who may well go onto better things elsewhere, I just think he has come to the end of the road here.

Thanks worthy - I HAVE enjoyed your time here, you have done us proud and your refusal to blame refs in the prem creditably set you apart.  Good luck with the rest of your career.

OTBC    

[quote]Lets get one thing clear. Under no circumstances can Worthys record for city be said to be average or poor. He has done exceptionally well, exceeding our dreams for what he could acheive when he too...[/quote]

Always good to see that loyalty is thriving on these boards....

Loyalty? what loyalty? He''s lost a few games, so he''s got to go. (Apparently.) Interesting to see who out of us, Everton, and Palace fans are the more loyal. We''ve all got good managers who have done good things for us but are going through a rough patch. Some fans though seem to want to push the ''change manager'' button without knowing what it does, or what it costs, simply out of frustration with the current season.I''ve got news: that button isn''t connected to anything. Pushing it does nothing. Campaigning for certain players to be played, making more noise at home games... that could work though.

Amarillo - "Lost a few games"? How about putting it like this - we''ve had 11 wins out of the past 52 games! If you''re happy with that record, then your standards are lower than a snake''s belly in a wheel rut! Other posters are correct, Worthy''s record over his entire tenure here has been good, but this recent record is not, and it shows no sign of improving.

[quote]Always good to see that loyalty is thriving on these boards....[/quote]

FFS Dicky - what loyalty got to do with being a football pro???  Loyalty in football disappeared over 20 years ago.

If I underperform my employer and repeat the same mistakes repeatedly over 18 months and show no signs of learning I will, rightly, be dismissed without the benefit of a ludicrous golden handshake.  Sadly I have had to take that step with staff I manage but if they no longer do the job that is expected of them and show no aptitude to improve their performance they have to go.  

My post showed that I do have an appreciation of what he has done for the club andthat should not be underestimated. But like Iwan and Malky recently, and the likes of Bond, Saunders, Walker,, Stringer etc before him Worthys chapter needs to become club history before we can progress to that next level.  Thats my opinion - if you dont like it stop the snide on liners and put that share that alleged enormous intellect and let me know what starting 11 and formation you would want rather than accepting mid table mediocrity.

OTBC

amarillo is totally correct, the real problem is the fans.
were the ones picking the diamond formation, selecting the
wrong players, coaching the squad. sack the fans I say.
then again who would turn up in huge numbers to blindly support the
rubbish were getting all season.

by the way how many games have we lost in the last few years,
just a few I''d say amarillo.