Sign in to follow this  
USA Canary

New Manager Candidates...What's our Short List?

Keegan would be great. Martin Allen - mad as a box of frogs, but at least able to motivate his players. Kenny Jacket at Swansea. I think that as well as a motivator, we''d need YOUNG coaching staff, with new ideas but old principles (such as how to defend at corners!).  

Are you having a laugh Mr C

With all due respect, Bobby Robson is 73 years old! What sort of future is that for Norwich City?

We want someone young, talented and with a head screwed on. If it was just down to choice, it has to be Martin O''Neil, however, we all know that won''t happen.

So realistically, I will put forward someone like...Ian Crook....very succesful in management down under and knows this place in and out. If not, then Mark Bowen.

Mike Newell

Martin Allen

Craig Brown

Paul Sturrock

First 2 are my favorites but I think the other 2 would still be better than what we have here currently.

Get real Mr C. Firstly, he won''t be sacked. Secondly - Bobby Robson - lol.

As we have always done in the past, we will either employ someone with no experience of managing at this or a higher level, someone who has lots of experience with a poor record, or promote from within.

martin allen brentford, mark bowen alongside david williams,
they would be my two favoured options.

All this nonsense about keegan is driving me crazy.

Kevin keegan has never been a good manager. Whenever he was ''successful'', getting fulham promoted / managing to throw away a perfectly good position in the premier league with newcastle he has done so on the basis of millions and millions of £££. He achieved nothing at man city.

He only got the england job because no-one else wanted it and managed to make an arse out of himself time and time again.

He would be an amazing motivator as a member of coaching staff with some else as the actual manager.

Ian Holloway

Paul Sturrock

and then you are into the has beens - more attractive because there is no current contract to break and city to compensate for... 

John Gregory

Roy Evans

Graham Taylor

Howard Wilkinson

George Graham

Kevin Keegan

Its

ADRIAN BOOTHROYD

Even Worthy admitted it was a big mistake letting him go; compensation to Watford 1 to 2 Million; a good manager is worth much much more than any individual player.

Some great suggestions but being realistic and looking for as much continuity as we can achieve, I think David Williams is the standout choice.

We had great success when Dave Stringer came through and I see David Williams as similiar in many ways.

What I do agree with is that we need someone with a Canary background ideally as player and off field but at least one or the other.  The issues are too sensitive and the character of the club too specific at the moment for an outsider to pull things together.

UNITED IN OUR LOVE FOR CITY

Would be rgeat to get Martin O Neill back, from vague memory i remember he only left because he wanted to buy Windass and fell out with the board. It''ll never happen though.
Bowen or Boothroyd would be great!
Mike Phelan, think he''s up at Manure? Although no proven record.

You guys are VERY funny!

Go through the list so far and discard all the has-beens and Martin O''Neill - who we''d all love, but who has a sick wife and bigger fish to fry when she gets better.

Now you''ve done that LOOK - everyone left is either unproven at this level (Martin Allen, Ian Crook, Adrian Boothroyd(NO, 8 games at Watford ISN''T a proven track record)), never managed before (Mark Bowen), or is promoted from within (David Williams) with no managerial experience.

This is just what you''ve all slated the Board for in the past and yet these are the best names you can come up with?

I have no idea who''d be a good boss at FCR and would rather give Worthy until the end of November. If we get a run with no injuries, or suspensions and he can pick his preferred team for a run of games, we might see what he''s capable of as a manager. Did any of you read the Waghorn comments yesterday? He made the same points about how most of the team changes this season (and there have been far too many) have been forced on the team. The regrettable result is lack of understanding; midfield & defence inneffective units; strikers unable to build a partnership.

It is my belief that MOST managers would struggle in these circumstances. Worthington makes mistakes, nobody disputes that - he''s still learning. Far greater managers than him have needed 5/10 years to learn their trade properly. All I ask is that we don''t dump somebody who is well regarded by other managers, as a knee jerk response to a poor start.

Anyway, I''ll finish so you can carry on with the list of invincibles - at least I''ll have something to laugh about over the bar this evening - and that''s said in jest, I know you all have the teams best interests at heart

Maybe we should email this list to Delia and the board to let them know that there are suitable alternatives out there and it is not to late to get a competent manager in to motivate our players into performing, getting us back into a promotion state of mind....

[quote]ADRIAN BOOTHROYD Even Worthy admitted it was a big mistake letting him go; compensation to Watford 1 to 2 Million; a good manager is worth much much more than any individual player.[/quote]

Hmm - and why would boothroyd come here when he is sitting higher in the table with a performing side?  Especially with the wage that the club forced him out previously?

I agree he is a candidate - but we had our chance here and blew it big time.

OTBC 

fat barman, the old manager unproven at this level arguement
isn''t really going to work. every manager is unproven at
some point in their career, wenger,mourinho,capello were
unproven at one point.

obviously some managers are going to be a bigger risk than others,
but I''d rather take my chances with someone else than what we
know our current manager can''t do.

john gregory almost destroyed derby by the way so he should be
avoided like the plgue.

This decision will affect Norwich City MORE than any other decision that will be made in the next few years.

Look at what could have been (Martin O''Neill) and what was (Hamilton, Rioch, Walker MkII etc etc).

If we get this wrong we will pay a higher price than anyone seems to realise.

Personally, I would like Howard Wilkinson to replace Worthy. Then the "Worthy in/out" folk, are then able to carry on venting their spleen''s with: "Wilko in/out" debate........Keeps an happy equilibrium doesn''t it!

"Ian ''ole scruttocks'' Holloway (QPR), would be the next manager of NCFC if I had my way. Would certainly ruffle a few feathers amongst the: "We used to be indecisive, but, now we''re not so sure?" Club board members.

And he would sort out the underperforming players'' of the current squad! ON THE FALL CITY! ;~(

Yeah I agree Rich, the unproven manager argument carries no weight with me either. Think Iain Dowie. He had never managed at 1st Division level before he took charge of Palace and took them from the relegation zone to playoff glory in half a season.  He had not been with Oldham that long and didn’t have two pennies to rub together either.

Now is the time for us to go for someone like Allen @ Brentford who I believe has all the potential to make the step up……(and wont his interviews be a lot more interesting!)

Martin Allen, Best young manager in the country imo and will takeno Crap from anyone what-so-ever!

Ian Holloway, very good on a shoe string budget and can get a team promoted as he has done before...

I cant remember the guys name but the Lincoln manager, has a good reputation in the lower leagues and has been at the imps for 5 seasons, steadily improving them every year with no budget whatsoever... if he can do well with a small tiem club what could he do with a bigger one?

jas