Sign in to follow this  
gazzathegreat

work ethics not football then

So, finally my mind, my heart, in fact all of me is content, but only for a moment. Shame it can''t be longer, cos I then realised the consequences of what he said. For all of you who haven''t read it (on home page):

“The one strong foundation we have had over the past five and a half years has been a high work ethic and stopping other teams playing. At the moment we are not doing either. We are not working hard enough and teams are doing to us what we should be doing to them.”

Well there you go.  For all of you who, like me, have been wondering what has happened to our club, the above paragraph tells you. We can''t stop teams playing anymore.

One question Mr Worthington.  What about us, when are we going to start playing football, start dictating to the other team (at home from minute number one), so the fact we sometimes create chances, have shots, play pleasing football, etc etc etc is  NOT just because the other team are asleep?

Someone, somewhere, put me out of my misery, please!!!

Sadly our coaches focus 100% (oh alright then - 95%) on the physical side of things - and when that application is not there the whole house of cards falls over.

Worthy is right - you cannot have a successful team without that team and work ethic - we can all look at the expensive players put together at Leeds, Liverpool, Inter Milan & Newcastle in recent years to realise that footballing ability alone does not succeed. 

You can also point to the Liverpool and Greek sides in recent times where team work and effort to deliver a tactical plan have delivered silverware despite not having the best footballers in the world.  

However the vast majority of successful teams have equal contributions of team work, athleticism and football ability.

At the moment this club is lacking on all three fronts.  If worthy is unable to get his players to do the basics of his plan then he is doomed to fail and is more evidence of why he should be replaced.

Ah well - lets get back to basics - is there any link to the increase in injuries and our back to basic drives after previous defeats - ie are they just training physically harder without using footballs???

David Williams - time to come on down...

OTBC

to me, Worthys just summed up his own failings in that paragraph... we arent doing the same things we were 2 years ago... why not Mr Worthington????!!!! you, of all people must know!

jas

It''s a good point Gazza, why are we so worried about what the opposition can do to us? 

All good sides mix the work ethic with good football, so we can''t pretend it''s not important.  Ultimately though, it''s only lays the foundation for playing good football and scoring goals and we have not been doing that enough this year.

I wonder if Dave Williams is the manager in waiting - damn good player in his day, played the ball along the ground - will he bring back the skill ethic rather than the running around like headless chickens ethic...?

I might be wrong, but I''m sure I read a post some months ago from an ex-Academy coach who jacked it in because he had to release a really skillful, but small, 14-year-old because Worthy insists on big, strapping athletes at the Club. If that''s true, it''s reflected in Worthy''s comment. A lack of physique never stopped top players before - I can think of players like Alan Ball, Zola, Dennis Wise and our own Robert Fleck. I''m sure people can think of some more.    

Hi Plastic

I would love that to happen, but apparently he has stated previously that he doesn''t want the job of manager.  However, in the circumstances.....

Watching the reserves last Wednesday (though essentially his youth team) the night after Luton got me praying he can be persuaded.  George Burley would be my ideal manager re experience and footballing philosophy, but I think in Dave Williams we could have someone who would once more bring back proper passing football that Norwich City have built their reputation on.

Ummmm, yes, now what was that guy''s name?

Small chap, Diego someone or other ....

[quote]I might be wrong, but I''m sure I read a post some months ago from an ex-Academy coach who jacked it in because he had to release a really skillful, but small, 14-year-old because Worthy insists on big...[/quote]

Phil Boyer, Darren Eadie, Jamie Cureton, Paul McVeigh.....

well done zipper. why one of the best coaches in this country is coaching kids rather than our first team is confusing to say the least. i might be showing my age but the golden period under dave stringer and mike walker was in no small part down to david williams. no need to look at outside replacements, the best man for the job is already here.

David Williams was an instrumental part of "the Two Davids" when one of our own boys (Dave Stringer) was at the helm. I remember standing in the River End and purring at the football on display - Dave Williams was the architect.... On the Burley idea - Dave Stringer was one of our own - enough said... let Burley whinge and whine somewhere else, I couldn''t bear to see him anywhere near the club...

More small players, Billy Bremner, Nobby Stiles, Archie Gemmill (Hard or what?), Shaun Wright-Phillips, Jimmy Johnstone (Fast or what?)and weren''t Denis Law & George Best both sent home for being too small?

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]

So, finally my mind, my heart, in fact all of me is content, but only for a moment. Shame it can''t be longer, cos I then realised the consequences of what he said. For all of you who haven''t read it (on home page):

“The one strong foundation we have had over the past five and a half years has been a high work ethic and stopping other teams playing. At the moment we are not doing either. We are not working hard enough and teams are doing to us what we should be doing to them.”

Well there you go.  For all of you who, like me, have been wondering what has happened to our club, the above paragraph tells you. We can''t stop teams playing anymore.

One question Mr Worthington.  What about us, when are we going to start playing football, start dictating to the other team (at home from minute number one), so the fact we sometimes create chances, have shots, play pleasing football, etc etc etc is  NOT just because the other team are asleep?

Someone, somewhere, put me out of my misery, please!!!

[/quote]

I thought perhaps the initial post in this thread perhaps sums up last season, and the ''ethos'' of last season. The focus on stopping the opposition rather than actually playing ourselves. Last term whilst trying to stop the opposition playing we just lumped it away, tried to break up play, outfitness teams perhaps.  Unfortunatly other teams took games by the scruff of the neck as we sat back, we conceded, the confidence and passing was gone, only Safri, McVeigh, Ashton and Hucks actually offering this   We never changed this ethos all season, it did NOT WORK. 

This term we have decided to go out and try and ''play'' from the off, take the game away from the opposition from the start by playing football, we had good players last year but the focus obviously hid this fact from us.  Its obviously not the only reason - finally signing a real right winger  - not playing a striker there- has helped immensly. good coaching and a fresh start.