Sign in to follow this  
FCC

Time to bring back Ruddy

Declan is not playing well enough to keep the shirt, and we need more experience to try and marshall our ramshackle defence.

Ruddy has more of a presence. Time to see how he responds to being dropped!

It was noticeable today that Rudd was much slower off his line than usual, even to the extent of Bassong gifting Liverpool a corner when under threat from Firmino because Rudd didn''t come for a ball he would have claimed 2-3 weeks ago.  Perhaps the Bournemouth Afobe incident has unsettled him.  Either way, he did not look commanding at all today, although with that back four in front of him I suspect Keelan himself would have struggled.

Didn''t see anything that bad from Rudd today. The fact our best defender today and probably most weeks was a left winger who has slotted in at left back this season tells a bigger picture on how good the defence protects the keeper.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Didn''t see anything that bad from Rudd today. The fact our best defender today and probably most weeks was a left winger who has slotted in at left back this season tells a bigger picture on how good the defence protects the keeper.[/quote]
I can''t accept Brady was the best defender when he played Firmino onside for their first goal and assisted their last goal with a crazy header back into the penalty area when heading it out for a corner was the obvious choice.

Rudd made made a good save from the feet of someone or other in the first half, which I doubt Ruddy would have made. Other than that neither keeper did anything other than pick the ball out of the net. Nothing would surprise me with AN though.

it''s a tricky 1 as if you want to give a young keeper experience you have to stick with him when things go wrong but equally I wonder whether he may have been a little bit more firm in his organisation of the defence

[quote user="Darth Bor"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Didn''t see anything that bad from Rudd today. The fact our best defender today and probably most weeks was a left winger who has slotted in at left back this season tells a bigger picture on how good the defence protects the keeper.[/quote]
I can''t accept Brady was the best defender when he played Firmino onside for their first goal and assisted their last goal with a crazy header back into the penalty area when heading it out for a corner was the obvious choice.
[/quote]

I''m not saying he was good. They all made costly errors but for the majority of the match I still think he looked our most capable player along the back line and that shouldn''t be happening. Rudd however did all the basics something Ruddy was struggling to do and some people call for him to be left out.

[quote user="Darth Bor"]It was noticeable today that Rudd was much slower off his line than usual, even to the extent of Bassong gifting Liverpool a corner when under threat from Firmino because Rudd didn''t come for a ball he would have claimed 2-3 weeks ago.  Perhaps the Bournemouth Afobe incident has unsettled him.  Either way, he did not look commanding at all today, although with that back four in front of him I suspect Keelan himself would have struggled.
[/quote]

Lev yashin would look shakey behind that lot 😟

The reason Rudd appeared to be slower off his line was due to the fact we played a much higher defensive line than normal. This ultimately cost us.

Lev Yashin

Boy that is going back in time

Have you one foot in the grave like me

Think it might be time to revert to Ruddy but only because 14 goals to concede is above average and cannot be too good for your confidence

Did you watch the game?

Did you see how bad Martin and bassong were?

I know pinto had it all to do today with the tool Redmond in front of him and Martin beside him but his defensive headers across his own 25 area didn''t fill with confidence either.

Nothing wrong with Rudd. Much better than the overweight ruddy

[quote user="alartz"]Did you watch the game?

Did you see how bad Martin and bassong were?

I know pinto had it all to do today with the tool Redmond in front of him and Martin beside him but his defensive headers across his own 25 area didn''t fill with confidence either.

Nothing wrong with Rudd. Much better than the overweight ruddy[/quote]

Now I am not saying which should be in goal, but this is the defence Ruddy had in front of him and conceeded less goals per game. On other threads you say how good Bennett is and that is who Rudd had in front of him.

Not seen the game on tv, but I didn''t think Rudd was at fault for any of the goals today, and didn''t actually make any mistakes. A difficult game for him as he was under pressure, and very exposed by the defence, so not making mistakes when under pressure like that is a good sign. I have seen few goals scored against us, that Rudd should have saved, and not seen many mistakes from him.In contrast, John Ruddy was making mistakes that were costing us goals, and that is why he lost his place.So for me Rudd should stay in goal, and hopefully with Klose playing in a re-vamped defence, he might feel more confident, which should help his game further.Not time yet to dent a youngsters confidence for doing little wrong.

[quote user="Darth Bor"]It was noticeable today that Rudd was much slower off his line than usual, even to the extent of Bassong gifting Liverpool a corner when under threat from Firmino because Rudd didn''t come for a ball he would have claimed 2-3 weeks ago.  Perhaps the Bournemouth Afobe incident has unsettled him.  Either way, he did not look commanding at all today, although with that back four in front of him I suspect Keelan himself would have struggled.
[/quote]
Ruddy was quick off the mark in the last minute of the West Ham game and that cost us 3 points ......

Oh Cameron Jeroooooooome wrote the following post at 23/01/2016 7:54 PM:

To even have this discussion shows we are lacking a top quality keeper.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Which top class keeper do you think would have had any chance with the goals scored today?

Hardly wonder goals were they. I''m not even blaming Rudd anyway. Just saying think we need top drawer keeper that''s all.

If we are going to change the keeper again then we need to sign one, Ruddy has been shot to pieces for the last couple of seasons .

[quote user="Oh Cameron Jeroooooooome"]Hardly wonder goals were they. I''m not even blaming Rudd anyway. Just saying think we need top drawer keeper that''s all.[/quote]

And commands and organises. Would love to see Begovic here but wont happen

I''m amazed this is actually a genuine topic for discussion. Rudd could do very little about any of the goals today and is undeserving of the criticism which appears to be being levelled at him. The defence in front of him was the major contributor to the goals conceded, with positional play and decision making which was shocking on numerous occasions.

Please tell me you are joking!!! Ruddy has more of a presence??? How many goals were Rudds fault and what did he do wrong? What could he have done better?

At half time Klopp must have said "Target the centre backs!" Enough said! It was the back four as a collective unit who struggled ....Especially the CB''s.!

Redmond looked slow to close down when the ball was wide for the first goal. (He looked lazy and scared to challenge for the ball at times) then the Liverpool player had too much time in our box. Again the Liverpool player had too much room to pick his spot for the second. The less about the other three the better so yeah replacing Rudd for the next game would be a great move! And where was Ryan Bennett???

Not joking - it''s all about opinions.

I do think Ruddy has more of a presence. What did Rudd do wrong, clearly he is not solely to blame for the defeat, he hardly had a blinder if 5 went past him. Goals are whizzing past him at the moment and it must be denting his confidence.

If Ruddy had been letting this many in everyone would be screaming for him to be dropped. I''m not blaming Rudd for the defeat, but I would take him out of the firing line for the more experienced goalkeeper.

I make no mention of the "defence", rest of the team, tactics or selections - I just think Ruddy is worth a start. I am making a presumption he is fit and motivated.

Didn''t think he was great today. He''s unpredictable as to whether he''s coming off his line or not and doesn''t seem to communicate very well.

Also didn''t look like saving anything and didn''t look hard to beat.

There was/is a need for a goalkeeper to put pressure on Ruddy and him and it hasn''t been addressed.

Rudd over ruddy for sure - far more athletic. Ruddy will always be a big guy and is not fast enough off his line for the prem.

I doubt he would have done better today than Rudd.

Having said that Rudd is possibly disappointed he didn''t pull off one or two more saves.

Agree. As to the defence not giving Rudd a chance to save anything - they did. Seven shots on target, five goals against. That''s what GKs are there for. Last line of defence!