Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Good interview with Naismith post-match

At the time I was thinking he was announcing himself as our new captain by talking of the lack of communication - assuming this is Radio Norfolk interview

heard him bemoaning our lack of communication and defensive professionalism on both radio norfolk and motd....

he''s only been here 4 days and has already identified our defensive fragility, where the manager hasn''t in 6 months.....

Without any disrespect to Naismith, identifying defensive fragility for a team that concedes five, 4 of which comes in 25 minutes, and one is a CB''s 40 yard backpass from the opposition half, does not really take a footballing genius.

I''ve been too disappointed to comment so far and confused about how we could play so well in parts and yet look so fragile at times.

I have to say Liverpool has similar problems but they also have a few top class forwards.

I only saw this game on TV but when we were trying to rescue a 3-4 situation the expert commentator made the remark that we looked like we had no leaders on the pitch; no one making runs, shouting or pointing. These were all the things I saw Naismith doing and it reminded me of watching Robert Fleck all those years ago.

When we drew with Arsenal I was encouraged that Gary O''Neil was doing some leading and saw him as our best candidate for captain, then Stoke happened.

With Naismith and Wes off the pitch we had no one calling any shots so I think Steven Naismith has hit the nail on the head here.

The best sides have a lot of captains and plenty of vocal. We have players like Jonny Howson who are naturally quiet, there is no one in the image of the manager.

I have to say, as much as I admire him as a person, Russ Martin has made his own case to be rested. If Timm Klose is good with a ball at his feet then he would be better in the vulnerable pressed forward role Russ too often panics in. As a full back (which he is) he gets away with losing the ball wide but as a centre half it is fatal.

In Russ'' absence give the captaincy straight away, right now, to Naismith because I think he''d revel in it, he is a fresh impetus and as a player who has had to fight for his place he would surely love to be the talisman.

Too many others look hurt by this defeat after a poor run of results. Hopefully, Tettey can come back positive along with the new guys. It is now a race to get things right before we run out of games. Let''s take action and look forwards.

One of the major positives that comes out of the darkness of yesterday was the performance of this man and what he may also bring to the table in terms of leadership. He''s a class act and the board have done brilliantly to get him here.

The fact we''ve effectively almost traded him (in financial terms) for Grabban (a player who had ostensibly become worthless to us) is absolutely sensational. If we do somehow survive this year then I feel Naismith will have played a massive hand in keeping us up. There''s still hope yet!

clearly not yet fully match fit but his leadership is just what we need - he has hit the nail on he head with a lack of communication, which is what the manager has commented on too, and hopefully he can make that change - esp if Klose has a similar personality; With ONeill back we may suddenly have a spine of leaders - Naismith to fairly quickly become match day captain I expect.

they fact that he, redmond and wes quickly linked up well with, well, prem standard quick passing shows what we can expect from his attacking instincts.