Sign in to follow this  
Aveit

Defensive Options - Who should, Who Should'nt

After yesterdays performance and conceding 11 goals in three games, everybody is very disappointed. so what do we think the defensive pairings should be?

My opinion is as follows;

Right

Pinto with a covering right sided player, maybe Jarvis, but not Redmond.

Wisdom, with Jarvis or Redmond.

Left

Olsson with Brady in front. If AN dose not like Olsson we need a left back.

Central

In this order Klose, Bennett, Bassong, with either Tettey or Mulumbu in front or both, another centre mid if Mulumbu is not fancied, CB to play with Klose if Bennett is not fancied.

And a decent striker, not saying we needed one after yesterday, but still 15 games to go, and have sold two.

Whats your thought''s ?

I agree with much that you say, ad I would add the point that Olsson at times has looked as likely to fail defensively as Pinto, with Martin and Whittaker the same, and all of them are more impressive going forward than defending. Only Brady looks adequate as a defensive full back.

If this is the case, and we can make no further signing, then perhaps we should consider a back line of three - Bassong, Klose, Bennett, a five man midfield, with Olsson and Pinto as wing backs, and two forwards.

a back three is possible, but that has a heavier reliance on communicating well across the team, and the three reading the game well;

Bennett was the weak link in that formation against Man City, not Martin.

When it comes to wing backs you would then use Pinto & Brady.

I was also thinking about that possibility, Zippers.

We had such an attacking team yesterday - with Bassong being the only proper defensive outfield player on the pitch (I''m not counting Martin because, at his best, he is a full back who bombs up and down the flank).

It could look like this:

Rudd

Bennett Klose Bassong

Pinto Brady

Howson Tettey

Hoolahan

Naismith Mbokani

Yellow and Green. I''d go with your selection, but my preference would be O''Neill instead of Howson.

Just feel O''Neill is the better defensive midfielder, passing and composure (ignoring ON''s red card)

With Naysmith in that attacking role, we could forego Howson''s more attacking style to give us more bite in idfield

In a way it makes sense for us. All of our full backs are attack minded and not solid enough defensively for the premier league. Having 3 centre backs enables them to have that attacking freedom.

It also enables us to play Naismith and Hoolahan in the same team, without sticking Wes out on the left. Having 2 up top will also give Mbokani the support that he sometimes so badly needs.

They may have been good servants in the championship but Bassong and Martin are simply not up to premiership standard - they have cost us so many goals and points this season - time to drop them both and get rid if we are serious about staying up.

Looks interesting Yellow & Green and with our full-backs it could be a very useful formation.

Need more cover at centre-back though