Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Don't over analyse that match!

Sport occasionally throws up freak performances and results.

Yesterday was one of them. Great for the neutrals and awful for the losing side

But they are just that, freak events, so over analysing that performance is not with it. We won''t be involved in another 9 goal thriller for some time. So wrote it off as a crazy day.

Next couple of games will tell us much more regarding individual players. Not least how the defence looks with our most expensive defender locked in place

Without trying to over analyze it, the biggest problem with snatching defeat from the jaws from victory in such a manner is that it can be demoralizing for the players, and it might send message to opposing teams of easily expolitable tactical and defensive naivety.

Disagree- yesterday felt like a summing up of all our problems in one ridiculous game.

Poor defending? Check.

Handing the opposition at least one goal on a plate? Check.

Conceding late goals? Check.

Russell Martin shoehorned into the team despite being in awful form? Check.

Some nice attacking play undone by terrible performances at the back? Check and check again.

[quote user="king canary"]Disagree- yesterday felt like a summing up of all our problems in one ridiculous game.

Poor defending? Check.

Handing the opposition at least one goal on a plate? Check.

Conceding late goals? Check.

Russell Martin shoehorned into the team despite being in awful form? Check.

Some nice attacking play undone by terrible performances at the back? Check and check again.[/quote]

Maybe so but at least these areas have alr day been addressed and if it wasn''t already going to happen, changes will now definitely be made and focus put firmly back onto being more solid at the back.

I hope your right but I worry for our defence. If we wanna go with Redmond Hoolahan Naismith M''Bokani do we need 2 disciplined holding midfielders like Mulumbu and Tettey to protect the vulnerable back 4.

King Canary, I''m afraid you''re exactly right. That game will be watched and watched again. The only thing that can be drawn from it is the valuable lessons learned... let''s hope they are.

[quote user="Oh Cameron Jeroooooooome"]I hope your right but I worry for our defence. If we wanna go with Redmond Hoolahan Naismith M''Bokani do we need 2 disciplined holding midfielders like Mulumbu and Tettey to protect the vulnerable back 4.[/quote]

Fully agree!

Was suicide to start all this players with Howson,Dorrans imo.

We park the bus many times this season must be try to play more compact after we 3-1 3-2 up but with this players no way...

We''re in a massive hole. Yes, it''s not just yesterday''s match, rather it''s something that''s been building up for some time. People at least have woken up to the fact that the team isn''t all it''s cracked up to be.My biggest concern is that the hole we''re in is going to get bigger and bigger, because the club has panicked and made the problem worse. It''ll be the same again until the club decides to try and fix things.

I agree in itself a loss to Liverpool at home is not so bad, however

1. Is the manager the only one who sees Martin as a decent CB

2. Why were Tettey and Bennett not even on the bench

3. The manager blaming the defence for poor decisions when most of the 25 k fans there would never have picked that central defence. Look in the mirror Alex you picked them.

4. It is now 5 - 14 over last four matches all lost two home two away that is real issue.

5. To be honest most other Premier League sides would have sacked manager by now , as becoming clear he is way out of his depth which is not surprising given this time last year first games at any level in England as manager.

6. Could be a cricket score in next match I fear.

7. I hope he can see R Martin really not up to it as player and even more importantly as captain, time for someone new like Naismith to take over and sort it.

Have to agree with the OP on this one.

It was one of those freak games that every team has from time to time.

In a game you wouldn''t have expected anything from pre kick off we scored some great goals and took a side which cost hundreds of millions all the way in a captivating thriller.

The lads gave their all ... that''s all you can demand.

It wasn''t a freak occurrence.  It was a repeat of the nightmare second half capitulation we suffered against Newcastle.  Same players in defence that day - Martin and Bassong. Same central midfield pairing - Howson and Dorrans.If Alex Neil does not analyse that game and understand why these pairings don''t add up to a team that it capable of defending competently, then something is seriously wrong.

I really don''t see how you can label this a freak performance DCB. Was Newcastle away where we conceded six a freak performance?

NCFC have conceded 14 goals in the last four games! They have so far this season conceded 43 goals. Only Sunderland have conceded more!

Analysis of the premier league will tell you that traditionally the three teams who concede the most goals in the league get relegated. That was very true of our last Prem season, when we conceded 62, and those others relegated conceded 85 and 74 respectively, and that record was in part with much the same defenders we have now, and are utilised by the current incumbent.

So IMO I don''t think anyone is actually over analysing the Liverpool game. It wasn''t a freak result at all, it was a combination of poor team selection by the manager, and poor decision making by those defenders he put out there!

Unless there is a serious change of defensive personnel, then I do not see us escaping the bottom three, our defensive problems were there to see in our previous relegation season, they were there to see in our promotion season, and probably cost us automatic promotion, and they have been very evident this season, because the goals against column tells us so.

Unfortunately it''s the same old story, and we look to strengthen our defence after the horse has bolted, which is the biggest disappointment, because for two seasons 20,000 plus supporters were all suggesting the defence needed strengthening prior to this campaign starting. And I would suggest they were right.

It''s nothing to do with over analysis, more reality.

At least we won''t have to turn up at 12.00noon for games in TC plus more games to moan about.

Got to agree with the OP to a certain extent....

Realty is the club has spent record amounts of money in the last couple of weeks and all yesterdays performance has proved is that we were right to do so.

While I wasnt happy with the managers team selection I do understand the logic of not throwing two new defends into the mix in the one game (with hindsight it couldnt have been any worse)

he also has a habit of wanting to play his perceived best 11 even if it means they play out of position.

Brady isnt a left back, Wes isnt a left winger, etc etc

I am sure with 10 days before our next match things will look very different.....

Two points I make about the game yesterday is we missed Alex Tettey and whilst disappointing to lose the game in those circumstances surely the biggest shock of the day was that at one point we were leading 3-1 ?

Canaries are certainly a fickle bunch.....

Two months ago they wanted Rudd in the team....now some question his ability ?

After we played a very defensive game at home to Swansea (and won 1-0) they wanted attacking fast action football.....now they dont seem to enjoy that either ?

They wanted signings and big money spent....and before the guys have even settled into the squad it isnt enough and we must spend more ?

C''mon guys lets enjoy the ride......just imagine if the day at Wembley had ended in defeat, we could well be languishing in the bottom half of the Championship and Naismith, Klose, Pinto, Jarvis, Mulumba, mBokani, Brady sure as hell wouldnt be here......and quite possibly nor would Redmond BUT Grabham and Jonno might I s''pose !!

The last three defeats are extremely damaging. We should be sat here talking about 4 points minimum. It''s so frustrating.

I feel we''re close to having an established premiership squad. Mbokani and Naismith are great additions. We simply have to stay up, in doing so I see us really improving next season. Providing we sort our selves out defensively.

This years a crazy league. There are no bankers nor guranteed loses. We''ll pick up points from places unexpected.

Villa, west brom away, and Newcastle, sunderland at home are huge games. We''re more than capable of 12 points.

Yesterday was frustrating, so close to a historic win, but there are positives and everything is still to play for. We look like winning games, which is a vast improvement on out last prem season under Hoots.