Sign in to follow this  
shyster

Is Ashton Overrated?

Firstly, congratulations to the City on this afternoons victory A victory & display that I personally believe will put us in good stead for the rest of the season & hopefully will give us more than a slender shout at the play offs - Heck, we might even finish in the top two And maybe we can do it without Ashton

My main concern, not just from todays match, is the form of Ashton this season -- Yes, I know he''s notched up 4 goals, but if a 4 to 7 million pound rated striker isn''t going to score a goal every two games who the hell is, Robert Green? The point I''m trying to make is that I personally think he''s pretty average & he needs to vastly improve on performances to prove otherwise -- Everytime he tries to hold the ball up he commits a foul, he can hardly turn on a sixpence, a quality one looks for in most highly rated strikers - He seems to have trouble reading the oppositions game plan regarding off-side traps and his finishing is seriously lacklustre for the best part.

Come the end of the campaigne & Ashton has scored nigh on 30 goals & won us promotion, I vow to eat my words -- But I seriously don''t believe I''ll have to. 

If we''re offered serious money for Ashton come January I sincerely feel we should cash in.

he has already proved himself. 19 goals for crewe last season and was by far our best player towards the end of last season. Hes not overrated, people expect him to be superman but he doesnt get as many chances as he would like. The only reason i can think of is that hes not in the best of form at the moment. but he is not overrated.

You''ve been listening to that caller off Radio Norfolk. He did the business last season for us, he did the business at Crewe, and 3 goals from 7 isn''t a terrible return!

If he gets himself in the right place, at the right time, he will score for us. Pity he didn''t gain a decent chance today

Come off it is ashton worth it!!!!!!,what a stupid question YES HE IS!!!!.

We haven''t seen the best of him yet as he has been carrying a injury since coventry but as we all know we couldn''t rest him as we had no one else to play!!!!!!.

So lay off him and he will put the ball in the net wait and see!!!!.

He''s definately overrated in terms of the money that''s been bandied around for him -- Which is why I believe we should sell him to any club that''s daft enough to shell out for him so that we can finance a signing or two of Davenports calibre -- Thorne, when he''s fit, is more than capable of filling the role that Ashton is currently playing for this club.

To blame his form on lack of chances in light of our excellent midfield at this time is outrageous.

He looked injured today. Was finding it difficult to even run at times. Couldn''t understand why Worthy didn''t take him off because he was a liability. Can''t argue with the goals he''s scored though.

before today ashton and McKenzie were the only 2 players to have scored for us this season. He isnt over rated... im sure some people only post on here to get a response!

very few strikers will actually score 1 every 2 games... Rooney doesnt, Van Nistelrooy doesnt, Henry doesnt.. they might gor 2 or 3 games without scoring then get 2 or bang in a hat trick which keeps their average goals to game ratio up.. but very few, if any, players will ever score every other game...

jas

It wouldn''t surprise me if Ashton is not fully fit, maybe playing through a minor injury or not fully recovered from the thigh problems he has had.

He is certainly not overated,

He is just going through a lean patch, as all strikers do, even Henry at Arsenal.

He has missed several one on ones this season, had he been on form he would have buried them. He will come back to his best, don''t worry.

Ashton certainly isn''t overrated. All strikers go through patches when they don''t look so sharp or it isn''t happening in front of goal. I do wonder though, whether Ashton was expecting to score loads of goals this season because of how well he played in the premiership and is therefore slightly complacent?

He has also been suffering on and off from a hamstring strain for a while. That could be affecting his performances!

"is Ashton overrated?"

Simple answer 2 that is...NO!!!

If van nistellrooy was playing upfront in our team in the last 7 games he wouldnt of scored any more than 3 goals because he just wouldnt of got the service, the exact lack of service that Ashton hasnt recieved so far this season! But as the team improves the service 2 the strikers will improve, and more goals 4 Ashton will come!

Sorry everyone. I agree with Shy... he can''t turn for toffee and should have put away 8 goals minimum this season. People go on about service, but that''s absolute nonesense. He''s had bags of chances. I was hoping that his form would improve after all the media hype calmed down. But it hasn''t.

Great bloke, and I don''t want him to leave. But desperately needs a pacey creative centre forward at his side or he''s very average.

£3.5m on present form. TOPS.

I''m not sure how I feel about this one but today and last week vs Plymouth he definitely did not look up for it.

I would hope that is because he is carrying an injury and not because he''s not bothered but at times , particularly today , he does not seem to make the simplest of challenges or close defenders down.I thought he was our worst player today , followed not too far behind by Marney - a player who is definitely overrated...

I can''t believe the people who come on here one min your worrying that Ashton is going to leave ,then your saying how s##t he is and we should of sold him?????????.

Ask yourself this if we had of sold him who would we have got to play up front ????,looking round round the 4 leagues goal scorers are a rare thing!!!!! so do Ashton and the team a favour lay off him and he will score the goals.

But for those who can''t help moaning and groaning I''m sure if you give Jewell a call he would be interested!!!!!.

Form is temporary, class is permanent. Ashton has class in abundance, despite his lack of pace. He is off form at the moment, and that isn''t just in a Norwich shirt; he played for England U21s a few weeks back and looked awful, he even trod on the ball and fell over. But his class will tell in the end, and even when he is off form, 3 goals this season isn''t a bad return!

[quote]Form is temporary, class is permanent. Ashton has class in abundance, despite his lack of pace. He is off form at the moment, and that isn''t just in a Norwich shirt; he played for England U21s a few w...[/quote]

You are right Putney, class is permanent and Ashton has class.  4 goals in 9 games is a good return from a player who is quite clearly not fully fit and is definately out of form.

When he was playing well last season he looked such a quality footballer and not just a good goalscorer.

[quote]Form is temporary, class is permanent. Ashton has class in abundance, despite his lack of pace. He is off form at the moment, and that isn''t just in a Norwich shirt; he played for England U21s a few w...[/quote]

Ashton has class in abundance?

Then ask yourself this: If that were true why wasn''t that "class" recognised by a premier club three or four years ago & why wasn''t he snapped up for a modest fee? With all due respect to the City set up, are you supposing that the likes of scouts & managers at top flight clubs failed to notice something in Ashton that the Norwich staff actually saw?

Despite Ashton''s relatively young age, has it ever occured to you that he may have peaked already? Remember all the hype over Cherno Samba just a few years ago? Last I heard he was signing for Spanish 2nd division side Cadiz

I stand by my original statement: If we are offered handsome money for him, sell him sooner rather than later.

If he isn''t that good then why did Wigan, Man City & Spurs all try to buy him in the summer?  They are all Premiership clubs with managers who know what they are doing, maybe they were wrong as well.

[quote]If he isn''t that good then why did Wigan, Man City & Spurs all try to buy him in the summer? They are all Premiership clubs with managers who know what they are doing, maybe they were wrong as we...[/quote]

Believe me, westoncanary, if those clubs were serious about buying Ashton & stumped up the kind of money the media were stating, he would be gone -- I don''t know how long you''ve been a Canary fan, but you must be pretty naive not to know what this clubs policy on selling players is.

Do I smell a binner ?

Amazing how often these ''newbies'' appear, spout some old crud then disappear.

Back in your box young shystirrer

24 years Shyster.  I agree we could have taken the money, but without him we stand a significantly less chance of going back up this season.  With Sky payments etc, it could have ended up costing us more in the long run so I think (for once) the board have seen sense, this isn''t the Robert Chase era anymore, onwards and upwards.

Deano looks like he''s carrying an injury at the moment and hasn''t been 100% fit as a result. The reason Prem clubs didn''t take the chance on him is that they''re normally hesitant in paying big money for Championship players.

Anyone who says Deano isn''t class obviously had their eyes shut when he scored against Newcastle, Man City, Palace and Man U

"Anyone who says Deano isn''t class obviously had their eyes shut when he scored against Newcastle, Man City, Palace and Man U"

Well said, not many prem strikers would have put the Man City goal away.

[quote]Do I smell a binner ? Amazing how often these ''newbies'' appear, spout some old crud then disappear. Back in your box young shystirrer[/quote]

I''m looking forward to bringing this thread back in several weeks time to say "I told you so."

[quote]I''m looking forward to bringing this thread back in several weeks time to say "I told you so."[/quote]

Why?  Will you have proved that Ashton is overrated in a few weeks? It''s nice to see that we are watching and waiting for certain players to fail.  Will you be turning up to games taking notes of everything Ashton does right and wrong? Will you then give us a full breakdown showing that he did not score every time he had the ball thus proving you right?

[quote]Why? Will you have proved that Ashton is overrated in a few weeks? It''s nice to see that we are watching and waiting for certain players to fail. Will you be turning up to games taking notes of ever...[/quote]

Read the thread through thoroughly, Saint Canary, and you''ll see that I was not being that pedantic Of course I don''t wish to see players fail, I want to see Deano score a hat trick every other game & I want to be proved wrong in my judgement of him -- But however much people disagree & don''t like hearing it, I''m entitled to an opinion. 

I don''t want to stroke my grey beard too obviously but I can say that Dean Ashton is one of, if not the best striker I have seen play for City.

So he is a bit off colour at the momnet but:

He is probably injured or as they say "carrying a knock" and if Thorne was fit or we were doing better then he would be substituted and even rested.

He has the weight of unreal expectation from us who, if we are honest, expect him to score a hattrick every game against the kind of teams we are playing at teh moment.

He is not getting a great service.  Where on earth did the comment about our excellent midfield come from.

McKenzie has lost something and good strikers feed off each other.

All the transfer specualtion must be unsettling.

He has been playing in a poor team and that must be frustarting.  Hucks can''t be the only player to have lost heart or got frustarted.

He is only 21 for God''s sake.  He is still learning and is entitled to ups and downs.

I was hugely impressed by his effort, determinsation and skillful invention against Plymouth.  Had his mazy run led to a goal ansd not a shot skimming trhe post then that might well have been the finest goal at FCR for the last 30 years.

He is so unlike a typical striker who is either small and skillful, Owen or Bellamy or large and lumbering Roberts.  Both get goals but Dean is large and surprising nimble.

He is the most gifted forward since Kevin Reeves though probably most resembles the great Ron Davies.

Alas, one day all we will be able do is sigh and say that he used to play for us but if his fitness matches Davies not Reeves then he may well be one of the all time greats of the game.  In my view he is well on te way to being a Cananry all time great.

Sorry, I pressed send by accident before spell checking.  I hate lazy posting so apologise to anyone who troubles to read my diatribe for the extra inconvenience caused by the typos.

Hmm - is he over-rated? 

He is not 100% fit yet, IS distinctly off colour but is still scoring goals at the rate of 1 every other game (5 in 9 starts/10 appearances) which is a ratio very few strikers acheive or maintain.  Even Iwan only managed less than 1 in 3, which is the strikers minimum.

Who was the last sriker we had who could deliver 20+ goals a season - Chris Sutton?  Deano has he attributes to score more than Chris, even if sutton was a better all round player.  Suts went for £5m.

Deano is a gem and will not be at the club when he is scoring goals for England - we should enjoy him while he is here...

OTBC

No. However I do think he wont be a regular England player as some fans think. He will make the squad, I reckon he will get a few caps here and there, but he will never be a first choice player IMO. The simple reason being that he hasnt got the pace required for the top level.

People say he is the new Teddy Sheringham, I disagree. I think he is the new James Beattie. Good in the air, very powerful shot, scores a lot of goals (Well, Beattie used too!), its just he doesnt have the pace to be a top end striker. I think he will make a very good mid-premiership striker, for a team such as Everton, Newcastle etc. But wont make it to the top. Would love it if he did though!