Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzar

Gary O'Neil and that tackle

I think we''re still living with the consequences of Gary''s ''intervention'' against Stoke. Nothing from that game and, I was there, points were definitely up for grabs.

Would we have been more secure at the back yesterday with him screening, especially with Tettey''s unexpected absence? Probably.

And even allowing for Tettey''s return against Spurs, for me he''d be a definite starter alongside him against a very dangerous, free scoring and in form team.

Perhaps I''m making too much of his absence, but when the alternatives in his position appear to be the unfancied Mulumbu and Dorrans it''s a continuing worry.

I really hope we don''t look back at that tackle as one of the defining moments of our season.

Stupid sending offs happen, what it has shown is that Tettey and O''Neill at this level are head and shoulders better than the rest. I think add into that the manager doesn''t seem to rate Bennett even though his performances are above Martins and Bassongs IMO and we have a big defensive problem. Anyway let''s hope Tettey is back for spurs and if Klose plays, he instantly performs as our best centre back, god knows we need him to.

There are stupid sending offs and there is Gary O''Neil''s sending off...........so crass and moronic that ''stupid'' doesn''t even come close.

A tackle, that to all intents and purposes, was made OFF the pitch and under no obvious provocation, has had a major influence on the last three matches.

Losing with ten men, followed by a very tired performance against Bournemouth, followed by a game missing Tettey, a key player, whom O''Neil would probably replaced, leads to a fourth game, against a very good side, where the team will be under extreme pressure to end this pointless run.

Neil, a rookie manager, should be carrying no blame for the results that are a subsequence of mindless actions of seasoned pros like Gary O''Neil''s sending off, with yesterday''s back pass from Russell Martin, and Robbie Brady''s senseless header at the end.

I reflected on that tackle as possibly the actions of a man who, with a long daily commute and a driving ban, was looking to engineer a move closer to home!

Because I really couldn''t make any sense of it!

So many perfect people, who live perfect lives never making a stupid decision. None of you ever done something stupid in the split decision, that you look back on and think "what was going on in my head?".

Let''s just shut the club down

Gary oneills tackle is too much for me to bare

With Norwich out of the way we can go fully professional with our flouncing

Don''t understand your attempt at humour Buh...everything said about the O''Neil tackle in this thread is fair enough.

It was undoubtedly the stupidest, most unnecessary and ridiculous tackle I''ve ever witnessed (youtube videos aside)..

1. The ball was rolling away from goal in a harmless area on the pitch

2. The ball was about to roll out of play

3. Defensively everyone was in a fairly organised position

4. He had 40 yards to sprint (and think about what he was doing) before he even got close to being in a tackling position

5. The ball was about to roll out of play

6. There was nothing in the build up that would''ve justified any kind of maliciousness (i.e. him getting tackled badly, kicked etc)

7. He''s supposed to be the ''experienced'' head in the team

8. We''d actually started to get a good foot hold in the game, Ryan Bennett should have scored about 5 minutes before it happens

8. THE BALL WAS ABOUT TO ROLL OUT OF PLAY

I''m 100% sure his tackle cost us at least a point against a mis-firing Stoke, how the next two games would''ve transpired had he never made that tackle is anyone''s guess.

Deserves the criticism he gets! Its disappointing.

The fact that

A) you don''t understand the humour and

B) you are STILL going on about that tackle

Proves how joyless you are.

How is it gons fault that Alex Neil decides to pick captain chaos at CB, the team selection was at fault. It wasn''t a great tackle but when we have no Dm cover, don''t field a side with attacking fullbacks and a back up right back at CB, and Alex said in the interview afterwards it was a conscious decision to play him there instead of Bennett. Madness

It makes me question why we signed Mulumbu at all, as Saturday he was the obvious choice to shore up the midfield and protect the defence. Seems that he is either seen as not good enough or not fit enough and is here picking up a pay cheque. A waste of a squad position and wages

Buh wrote:

''The fact that

A) you don''t understand the humour and

B) you are STILL going on about that tackle

Proves how joyless you are.''

1) I completely understand the humour, just because I don''t find it funny or remotely appropriate does not mean I don''t understand

2) Yes it does still frustrate me to think about the tackle! I drove to the match and it was cold, windy and not actually that dry where we were standing..

3) It most definitely effected the outcome of the match, and there''s also a good case that his dismissal and our following loss then would''ve had a knock on effect for the next 3 games. Particularly the Bournemouth game, 60 minutes with 10 men, a confidence-sapping defeat, then another away game 3 days later??

4) The only reason I mentioned it was because of your attempted humour - I had no plans of commenting until you tried to call everyone out for over reacting.

I''m not going to boo him when/if he comes back into the team, I''m far from joyless and very much in the happy clapper camp. I''m just disappointed and frustrated that a player has let himself and the team down in such an astounding and unnecessary manner!

Is that not fair enough?

Yellowbeagle wrote:

''So many perfect people, who live perfect lives never making a stupid decision. None of you ever done something stupid in the split decision, that you look back on and think "what was going on in my head?". ''

It wasn''t a split second though was it? He sprinted 40 yards before he even got there!!

[quote user="Lord Eddard Stark"]Yellowbeagle wrote:

''So many perfect people, who live perfect lives never making a stupid decision. None of you ever done something stupid in the split decision, that you look back on and think "what was going on in my head?". ''

It wasn''t a split second though was it? He sprinted 40 yards before he even got there!![/quote]

If you''ve played football to any decent standard you''ll know that''s not how it works. The decisions that will have been made will have been splt second ones. He made a good one to press for the ball then a stupid one at the end as to what he should do once he got there. It happens.

I don''t understand how sprinting 40 yards to a player, who is lightly shepherding the ball out of play, before jumping in and scissor kicking him from behind is ever a split second decision.

''It happens''

Does it? I can''t think of a red card from a Norwich player that was even close to as stupid as that one! And from a player who is supposed to bring experience and a cool head to the team!

End of the day, what he chose to do, for whatever reason, cost us the game at Stoke and most definitely had an impact on the Bournemouth game.

I would''ve liked to have seen Mulumbu brought in. I know he was sluggish against Man City, but he was one of our best players in pre season before his injury and I expected him to be almost straight back in to the team upon returning to fitness. I fear that perhaps he''s lacking the level of hunger/determination that Alex Neil strives for from his players??