Sign in to follow this  
unique

Hoolahan's penalty

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Darth Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Darth Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"]I didn''t start this thead. I happen to agree that it was not a well hit penalty and gave my opinion. You on the other hand had nothing to say, other than attack other posters. Football is about opinions. You are just a sad keyboard warrior.[/quote]
Wrong again, Lakemeister.  I said I didn''t believe it was a poor penalty and have elaborated on that point.
You said it was "awful", not simply "not well hit".  The two are not the same thing.
[/quote]So you do have on opinion.  Well well, why hide it with keyboard warrior nonsense?[quote user="lake district canary"]It was an awful penalty kick. The

only reason it went in is because the goalie dived past it on its way

in. The penalty against Ipswich was special, but this was not. No

harm in criticising it - and if people are honest, Wes rarely looks

convincing on a penalty kick.[/quote][quote user="Darth Bor"]
"Awful" penalty kicks don''t tend to go in.
You really will say anything for attention.  You''re basically the Pink Un''s Katie Hopkins.
[/quote]

I did nothing but state an opinion.....so what''s wrong with you??  

[/quote]
"What''s wrong with me" is that I am unable to resist taking the bait scattered by attention seeking trolls.
Until Holland & Barrett have a cure, I guess we''re stuck with each other.
[/quote]

Your best cure would be to abstain from getting off on pursuing people who answer you back when you have been overbearing and pompous with your sardonic and witless attacks.   I gave my opinion on something to do with football and you couldn''t help yourself from attacking that with "troll" stuff.  That, matey, says more about you than it does about me. 

[/quote]
Keep on topic please.
It wasn''t an "awful" penalty.  Can you at least agree on that?

[quote user="bristolcanary"]On topic. The penalty yesterday was not a good one but he scored. Worth mentioning but not worth turning into another Buh,Bor, Lakey, Morty style spat. Lets move on.[/quote]I''m not actually involved here, no need to apologise though[Y]

[quote user="Darth Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Darth Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Darth Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"]I didn''t start this thead. I happen to agree that it was not a well hit penalty and gave my opinion. You on the other hand had nothing to say, other than attack other posters. Football is about opinions. You are just a sad keyboard warrior.[/quote]
Wrong again, Lakemeister.  I said I didn''t believe it was a poor penalty and have elaborated on that point.
You said it was "awful", not simply "not well hit".  The two are not the same thing.
[/quote]So you do have on opinion.  Well well, why hide it with keyboard warrior nonsense?[quote user="lake district canary"]It was an awful penalty kick. The

only reason it went in is because the goalie dived past it on its way

in. The penalty against Ipswich was special, but this was not. No

harm in criticising it - and if people are honest, Wes rarely looks

convincing on a penalty kick.[/quote][quote user="Darth Bor"]
"Awful" penalty kicks don''t tend to go in.
You really will say anything for attention.  You''re basically the Pink Un''s Katie Hopkins.
[/quote]

I did nothing but state an opinion.....so what''s wrong with you??  

[/quote]
"What''s wrong with me" is that I am unable to resist taking the bait scattered by attention seeking trolls.
Until Holland & Barrett have a cure, I guess we''re stuck with each other.
[/quote]

Your best cure would be to abstain from getting off on pursuing people who answer you back when you have been overbearing and pompous with your sardonic and witless attacks.   I gave my opinion on something to do with football and you couldn''t help yourself from attacking that with "troll" stuff.  That, matey, says more about you than it does about me. 

[/quote]
Keep on topic please.
It wasn''t an "awful" penalty.  Can you at least agree on that?
[/quote]With pleasure.  I''ve looked at it again and while it was a clear "dink" to get it over the diving goalkeeper, as "dinks" go, it was pretty lucky imo to get it through the goalkeeper.   Hoolahan relies on "cuteness" too often rather than put the foot through the ball.  He does miss penalties as a result - and yesterday''s was poor imo - if the goalkeeper had saved it as he very nearly did, perhaps should have done, it would have been classed as a weak penalty. Was it awful?  It was on the verge of that imo.  When he stepped up against Ipswich, I couldn''t watch because I thought he would try and be cute......thankfully he put his foot through it.....   I would prefer a striker to take the penalties - Mbok, or Jerome - or at least someone who is going to strike the ball hard.  When we had Holt, you knew he would score nine time out of ten. Only ever seen him miss one.  That is what you need - a reliable consistent penalty taker who will put their foot through the ball.  Cute penalty players will come unstuck too often. Imo. 

This is a debate because were Norwich to earn a penalty during the last game of the season, and needed to convert to stay up, I wouldn''t fancy Hoolahan''s penalty style to hold up under pressure.

Sure he scored a penalty in the Ipswich play-offs.....but than Russell Martin scored at Anfield earlier this season after a mad rush to play in the game, and doesn''t seem to be holding much water for Martin right now.

A good penalty is where a goalkeeper has no chance of saving it with flailing legs.

Watch Sigurdsson''s penalty against Everton today if you want to know what a good penalty is - no goalkeeper in the world would ever save it........

I think we know what a "good" penalty is.
Hoolahan''s penalty, while not the best I''ve ever seen, was not "awful" because he scored with it.
I will agree that I have had more confidence in a penalty taker than I do with Wes.

The ball ending up in the net was excellent but that was not a well taken penalty.

I think Wes is magic, but, it worried me that he was taking it, he had a reasonable amount of good fortune with it.

I don''t think I am likely to worry about it in the same way the next time we get a penalty because I do not think he will be taking it.

I''ve never felt very confident when Wes steps up to the spot. Had the same feeling with Huckerby taking them

unique wrote the following post at 24/01/2016 4:02 PM:

This is a debate because were Norwich to earn a penalty during the last game of the season, and needed to convert to stay up, I wouldn''t fancy Hoolahan''s penalty style to hold up under pressure.

Sure he scored a penalty in the Ipswich play-offs.....but than Russell Martin scored at Anfield earlier this season after a mad rush to play in the game, and doesn''t seem to be holding much water for Martin right now.

A good penalty is where a goalkeeper has no chance of saving it with flailing legs.

Watch Sigurdsson''s penalty against Everton today if you want to know what a good penalty is - no goalkeeper in the world would ever save it........

Yes, if Wes was a striker hungry to get a shot away whenever he gets the chance I could follow the logic of him taking pens. But as most of the time he is a creater rather than scorer of goals he doesn''t seem to me to be the right guy to entrust a penalty to. The number opertunities he has had to take on a shot and he turns or lays he ball off, not what you''d expect from some selected to take our pens.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]This thread is pathetic.[/quote]Valuable contribution.Better still, let the site be closed down, then phukwits like you and slum won''t feel the need to add ''weight'' to any valid discussions.

[quote user="lake district canary"]It was an awful penalty kick. The only reason it went in is because the goalie dived past it on its way in. The penalty against Ipswich was special, but this was not. No harm in criticising it - and if people are honest, Wes rarely looks convincing on a penalty kick.[/quote]An unnecessarily negative comment from the pompous fool who criticises match going fans for being too negative. Astonishing hypocrisy from one of the board''s most plastic of fans.

Whilst Hoolahan doesn''t fill me with the same confidence Grant Holt did, I didn''t exactly see 9 other players begging to take the penalty. Took the responsibility on and scored. Nothing to see here.

[quote user="George Santayana"][quote user="lake district canary"]It was an awful penalty kick. The only reason it went in is because the goalie dived past it on its way in. The penalty against Ipswich was special, but this was not. No harm in criticising it - and if people are honest, Wes rarely looks convincing on a penalty kick.[/quote]An unnecessarily negative comment from the pompous fool who criticises match going fans for being too negative. Astonishing hypocrisy from one of the board''s most plastic of fans.[/quote]Typically unsympathetic view from one of the most unsympathetic of posters. I''ve been to CR many times over the years and have sat in seats all round the stadium, so I can speak about the atmosphere and character at the ground with knowledge - and have been at matches where the negativity/nerves/worry or whatever you want to call it has been as clear as daylight.    Or maybe you think fans are always positive??

My point was that you always get a bee in your bonnet about our apparently negative fan base. And then you add a totally pointless and negative comment about a penalty that we actually SCORED. Still, maybe you''ve got an agenda against Hoolahan, a la Snodgrass.

[quote user="George Santayana"]My point was that you always get a bee in your bonnet about our apparently negative fan base. And then you add a totally pointless and negative comment about a penalty that we actually SCORED. Still, maybe you''ve got an agenda against Hoolahan, a la Snodgrass.[/quote]Not in the least. I say things how I see them.

As he stepped up I realised Hoolahan is about the same build and height as Gianfranco Zola, who was always a decent penalty taker, so I was confident he''d put it away.

Some people just like to make a problem where there really isn''t one Robert. For reasons best known to themselves and their therapists / carers / parents.

[quote user="morty"]Some people just like to make a problem where there really isn''t one Robert. For reasons best known to themselves and their therapists / carers / parents.[/quote]Imagine letting five goals in but top of your priorities is to to moan about a penalty we scored. Some of these people need therapists if they haven''t got one already.

[quote user="George Santayana"]Imagine letting five goals in but top of your priorities is to to moan about a penalty we scored. Some of these people need therapists if they haven''t got one already.[/quote]Who said it was top of anyone''s priorities?   It was a discussion about football.  About time some of you got your heads around that and cut the cr*p.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="George Santayana"]Imagine letting five goals in but top of your priorities is to to moan about a penalty we scored. Some of these people need therapists if they haven''t got one already.[/quote]Who said it was top of anyone''s priorities?   It was a discussion about football.  About time some of you got your heads around that and cut the cr*p.

[/quote]