Sign in to follow this  
unique

Hoolahan's penalty

Yes it hit the back of the net, but as penalty-kicks go, it was pretty unconvincing.

At least we now have a couple of years before we earn our next penalty, to find a suitable replacement for Wes, who will more than likely be retired, or merely a bit- part player.

Best canary call style moan yet

" I saw a throw in that looked lacklustre as well"

There is a bigger point here, yes it was an unconvincing penalty which was nearly saved.

I do think we should reconsider who takes pens for us, on another occasion in different circumstances Wes could cost us.

I don''t understand why we give the kick to a player who is the least likely to shoot when he gets in the box in open play.

Maybe we should remember who took that crunch penalty for against Ipswich in the playoff semi final second leg ... and how that went.

More faith and respect deserved I think.

Bet you weren''t moaning when he scored that pen against Ipswich in the play off Semi-FinalsImagine the pressure he was under.... and what a pen it was!Hoolahan, Naismith & Mbokani linked up superbly yesterday. It''s not our attackers we should be moaning at.

This really is a ridiculous thread. As said, more respect deserved....he stepped up to take it like in a play off semi final against the binners...and scored, what''s to complain about? He also linked up really well with Naismith and gives his all for the team (no matter whether he''s playing central or, wrongly on the left).

Attacking yesterday was good. As AN it was the defensive that was a shambles.

[quote user="Kurious Oranj"]This really is a ridiculous thread. As said, more respect deserved....he stepped up to take it like in a play off semi final against the binners...and scored, what''s to complain about? He also linked up really well with Naismith and gives his all for the team (no matter whether he''s playing central or, wrongly on the left).

Attacking yesterday was good. As AN it was the defensive that was a shambles.[/quote]

.....and the complete lack of a defensive midfielder. I''m not Tetteys biggest fan but boy did we miss him.

Terrible penalty no doubt was kind of "Panenka" joke with him 2 years ago.

Lucky Mignolet bad confidence because save only 1 shoot in last 3 Liverpool games

It was an awful penalty kick. The only reason it went in is because the goalie dived past it on its way in. The penalty against Ipswich was special, but this was not. No harm in criticising it - and if people are honest, Wes rarely looks convincing on a penalty kick.

[quote user="unique"]Yes it hit the back of the net, but as penalty-kicks go, it was pretty unconvincing.

At least we now have a couple of years before we earn our next penalty, to find a suitable replacement for Wes, who will more than likely be retired, or merely a bit- part player.[/quote]
Seriously?
We threw away a two goal lead at home with some suicidal defending, and you want to start a thread to moan about a penalty kick that we scored?
You people are weird.

[quote user="lake district canary"]It was an awful penalty kick. The only reason it went in is because the goalie dived past it on its way in. The penalty against Ipswich was special, but this was not. No harm in criticising it - and if people are honest, Wes rarely looks convincing on a penalty kick.[/quote]
"Awful" penalty kicks don''t tend to go in.
You really will say anything for attention.  You''re basically the Pink Un''s Katie Hopkins.

I didn''t start this thead. I happen to agree that it was not a well hit penalty and gave my opinion. You on the other hand had nothing to say, other than attack other posters. Football is about opinions. You are just a sad keyboard warrior.

A good penalty isn''t one that goes in, it''s one where the keeper doesn''t stand a chance of saving it. I saw it on MOTD last night and ok, it did go in but it only just missed the keeper

[quote user="unique"]Yes it hit the back of the net, but as penalty-kicks go, it was pretty unconvincing.

At least we now have a couple of years before we earn our next penalty, to find a suitable replacement for Wes, who will more than likely be retired, or merely a bit- part player.[/quote]

I admit I''m bad at times.

But this has got to be the worst moan of them all. If it had gone off his @rse from one yard out I don''t care it was 3-1 and we shouldn''t have lost the game to such a poor Liverpool side

Sorry, but that was not an awful penalty. If he''d hit it ''better'', i.e. nearer the post, Mignolet would probably have saved it.

If you''re really going to criticise our players for their goals, you could say that Mignolet should have done better with Naismith''s shot and he should have hit it over Mignolet, and that Bassong''s shot went through a crowd of players and should have been blocked, so he should have placed it into the top corner.

And doubtless Mbokani should have turned and scored instead of fluking a backheel.

But as others have said, when so much was wrong with yesterday, criticising Wes'' penalty is pretty low.

He outsmarted the keeper. No need to hammer it in and quite possibly mishit it. The broadcasters and those in the studio had only good things to say about the cleverly taken shot.

A lot of penalties are "almost saved".

Maybe a gripe about how the shape of the clouds or the team colors is costing only us points?

Irrespective of the result yesterday it''s a discussion worth having, if you have no interest in the topic then post somewhere where you do.

An awful penalty then see Wes Hoolahan''s penalty against Preston in our 2010/11 (I think) promotion season.  Chipped it down the middle, keeper didn''t fall for it, epic fail.  Game ends 1-1.
In this game, he scored.
You don''t score with awful penalties.
Awful penalties = Pearce v Germany, Waddle v Germany, Southgate v Germany, Hoolahan v Preston, Kermogant in a play off semi final shootout (I think) might be worst penalty ever.
Enjoy this one, apologies for any motion sickness.
Hoolahan''s penalty yesterday was not awful.  He scored.  At worst, it was average.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I didn''t start this thead. I happen to agree that it was not a well hit penalty and gave my opinion. You on the other hand had nothing to say, other than attack other posters. Football is about opinions. You are just a sad keyboard warrior.[/quote]
Wrong again, Lakemeister.  I said I didn''t believe it was a poor penalty and have elaborated on that point.
You said it was "awful", not simply "not well hit".  The two are not the same thing.

[quote user="Darth Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"]I didn''t start this thead. I happen to agree that it was not a well hit penalty and gave my opinion. You on the other hand had nothing to say, other than attack other posters. Football is about opinions. You are just a sad keyboard warrior.[/quote]
Wrong again, Lakemeister.  I said I didn''t believe it was a poor penalty and have elaborated on that point.
You said it was "awful", not simply "not well hit".  The two are not the same thing.
[/quote]So you do have on opinion.  Well well, why hide it with keyboard warrior nonsense?[quote user="lake district canary"]It was an awful penalty kick. The

only reason it went in is because the goalie dived past it on its way

in. The penalty against Ipswich was special, but this was not. No

harm in criticising it - and if people are honest, Wes rarely looks

convincing on a penalty kick.[/quote][quote user="Darth Bor"]
You really will say anything for attention.  You''re basically the Pink Un''s Katie Hopkins.
[/quote]

I did nothing but state an opinion.....so what''s wrong with you??  

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Darth Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"]I didn''t start this thead. I happen to agree that it was not a well hit penalty and gave my opinion. You on the other hand had nothing to say, other than attack other posters. Football is about opinions. You are just a sad keyboard warrior.[/quote]
[/quote]So you do have on opinion.  Well well, why hide it with keyboard warrior nonsense?[quote user="lake district canary"]It was an awful penalty kick. The

[/quote]

[/quote]
"What''s wrong with me" is that I am unable to resist taking the bait scattered by attention seeking trolls.
Until Holland & Barrett have a cure, I guess we''re stuck with each other.

[quote user="Darth Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Darth Bor"][quote user="lake district canary"]I didn''t start this thead. I happen to agree that it was not a well hit penalty and gave my opinion. You on the other hand had nothing to say, other than attack other posters. Football is about opinions. You are just a sad keyboard warrior.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
"What''s wrong with me" is that I am unable to resist taking the bait scattered by attention seeking trolls.
Until Holland & Barrett have a cure, I guess we''re stuck with each other.
[/quote]

Your best cure would be to abstain from getting off on pursuing people who answer you back when you have been overbearing and pompous with your sardonic and witless attacks.   I gave my opinion on something to do with football and you couldn''t help yourself from attacking that with "troll" stuff.  That, matey, says more about you than it does about me.