Sign in to follow this  
Norfolk Mustard

Not Psychological?

(From today''s EDP - link below): “It’s not a psychological problem. If I tell you to do something and you keep doing it and all of a sudden you decide not to do it, it is not psychological..."

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/norwich_city_must_batten_down_the_hatches_for_a_bumpy_premier_league_ride_1_4393483

Given ALL human decision-making occurs in the brain, it might be interesting to discover which major organ Alex Neil thinks his players use to make their decisions!

(Cue the testosterone-fuelled jokes)...

Why did you miss the last part of the sentence?

“It’s not a psychological problem. If I tell you to do something and you keep doing it and all of a sudden you decide not to do it, it is not psychological, you just didn’t do it properly."

you either do as the manager says or you go !

or course that is if the manager is telling you to do it right which is the bigger question

some of the players maybe doubt what they are told and are doing what they want they don''t look a well organized unit with a game plan and all sticking to it to me

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

Why did you miss the last part of the sentence?

“It’s not a psychological problem. If I tell you to do something and you keep doing it and all of a sudden you decide not to do it, it is not psychological, you just didn’t do it properly."

[/quote]

Because ''you just didn''t do it properly'' bit is the symptom/effect. The psychology bit represents the cause...

Imo, AN has it wrong as the definition of psychological is;

affecting, or arising in the mind; related to the mental and emotional state of a person.

Furthermore, as Norfolk Mustard states, the physical action is the symptom/effect (or result of) a thought process, which of course ‘arises’ in the mind. It is the brain that sends the message to the body to do what it does, so not running at full tilt, hitting a weak back pass, not jumping for a header is an action decided by the brain. Therefore every action is ‘psychological’, unless it is a reflex action, of which there are a number, but this number does not include tracking a runner or miss hitting a pass. Other stuff happens of course which affects performance, stuff including the action/reaction of an opposing player, or one of your own, match officials, etc. and other outside influences such as for example, the wind suddenly picks up.

However, deciding not to track, etc. (or possibly taking the decision to ignore team orders or not doing your best) are solely the decisions of the individual players, which in turn reflects their state of mind, which makes it psychological.

So, given that we have conceded (by my calculations and data I’ve researched) 40% more goals in the final 30 minutes (21) than the next poorest performing club, Aston Villa (15) then there certainly appears to be some sort of correlation between our players’ actual performance and their thinking (attitude, mental state, emotional state, etc.) in the last 30 minutes. Another explanation could be physical fitness?

So, perhaps it is psychological help he and the team needs, in fact I would go as far as to say, it can only surely improve matters, however if he believes it is not psychological then I guess this won’t happen. Although, he himself can of course talk with, scream and/or shout at the players and this may actually change/improve their thinking, therefore he will have taken a form of psychological action himself.