Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Feels bad right now but look at this and remember Leicester last year!!

It''s worth remembering the position Leicester were in last season and the adversity they managed to overcome to stay up. No-one would expect a team to repeat that just one season later but we are nowhere near as deep in the do do as they were. After they beat Man U in that amazing 5-3 game they went on an extraordinary winless run of 13 games of which ELEVEN were defeats. When they finally managed to break that run and put together 2 league wins and two cup wins, they still remained in the bottom 3 following defeat to Stoke on Jan 17th. After that they went on another marathon winless streak in the league that stretched to 8 games. They next won a league game on APRIL 4th.  By this stage their wasn''t a pundit or football fan in the land that gave them a cat in hell''s chance of surviving. But then.... of their last 9 games they lost one, drew one and won 7. They way they must have felt mentally after those winless runs will have

far exceeded the way we and our players will have felt after that

amazing game on Saturday that most people recognise we could and should

have won.

Good luck with that outlook a1canary as this is not the place at the moment to try and breathe a positive outlook on Norwich City. There will be no prizes or surprises who will be on your case before the evening is over. [;)]

We still need only 5 wins and a couple of draws and I think we''d be ok. That''s no where near impossible, but the manager has to get it together with tactics and team selection.

Must be remembered that Leicester already had the basis of a very decent team, they absolutely walked away with the Championship when they won it,  whereas weve come up thru the ply offs, and with basically the same defence as 2 or 3 seasons ago. We have signed a catalyst in the shape of Naismith to get some fire in our belly, but i think ultimately our bellys to soft. Pearson got the whole team into a near hypnotic never say die  attitude, a thing i just cannot see happening here.

[quote user="Essjayess"]Must be remembered that Leicester already had the basis of a very decent team, they absolutely walked away with the Championship when they won it,  whereas weve come up thru the ply offs, and with basically the same defence as 2 or 3 seasons ago. We have signed a catalyst in the shape of Naismith to get some fire in our belly, but i think ultimately our bellys to soft. Pearson got the whole team into a near hypnotic never say die  attitude, a thing i just cannot see happening here.[/quote]Have you actually thought about whether what you''ve said here stacks up? Given that you''re talking with the benefit of complete 20/20 hindsight? In the final two games in March last year, Leicester drew 0-0 with Hull and then lost 3-4 to Spurs in a game not dissimilar to our game on Saturday. At that point they were BOTTOM of the table and SEVEN points away from safety. Are we at the bottom? Is it March? If you had gone back to that point in time and said, "well, despite your almost irretreivably bad position, and having been the worst team in the league after 75% of the season gone, you have the basis of a very decent team." You''d have been taken away! This was a team containing Ritchie De Laet, David Nugent, Andre Kramaric, a creaking Matthew Upson and an equally creaky but undoubtedly classy Esteban Cambiasso. How many of these are playing in Leicester''s all conquering side this season? Err... I think you know the answer. None. They''re not even playing in the Premier League. At that point Mahrez had achieved little of note and Vardy was a decent

Championship striker still proving his worth in the Premier League.Our team right now is just as decent a basis of a solid Premier League team as their team was then.  A time when every Leicester fan was calling for Pearson''s head and was preparing for life back in the Championship.If we were in their position, even now rather than with just ten games to go, I wouldn''t give us a prayer. But we''re nowhere near their position, our two really poor defeats at Newcastle and Watford plus Saturday are far lesser setbacks than Leicester had to deal with. We have much more time, more points, a team that I''d rather have (than their 2014/15 team) and a manager I''d rather have. I don''t know why you think Pearson could get their minds right more than Neil given where both teams were at at equivalent stages of the season. Pearson only got them playing in the last 25% of the season! Maybe that''s why he was still sacked in the Summer despite saving them - looks like it was a smart move!

The future has yet to be written. We are not relegated or staying up today, it will be decided by what we do now to the end of the season. That means any outcome is possible......Leicester proved it last season.  Get your forces organised and all fighting for the cause without fear and anything is possible.  We could start a run of victories next week....or the week after....you just never know.  The opposite is also true of course, we could just get worse as the season progresses.  Anything is possible - and the squad looks stronger than ever.....so look on the bright side.  Why wouldn''t you?

actually a1 i based my saying they came up with a decent team as theyd won the Championship with 102 points and 31 wins, you think that didnt qualify as a decent team? Naming players that were there then and there now is irrellevant. You say a person would have to be carried away to believe Leicester who were in that position  could be believed that they could do what they did. I was in a position at the time wondering exactly why Leicester were  so far adrift  with their two champion promoted  colleagues above them in the Prem. I always believed that they should have done far better earlier on. But the fact that they got it together, and  finished in a respectable position, was down to what?...you quoted their individual players as if they were not good enough. Even thou Pearson was the manager you seem to allude he had nothing to do with their rise in form coz the crowd had been baying for his head. So if it wasnt the manager, if it wasnt the players, just who in fact got them out of the bottom 3? Whats more remarkable is the fact that manager change and player changes hasnt halted their rise at all, in fact the opposite. Hope that point we can both agree.And yes Leicester were bottom pretty much into April. City are sinking, unless you disagree, and we are only just going into February. If  City are in bottom 1 or 2 positions come early April, sorry but i cant see us doing a Leicester, i base that on Citys players and the soft underbelly they have consistently shown for seasons.

Now I know some of you like to wollow ever deeper in your own mire but come on...

How on earth has our club managed to achieve what we (not they) have over the last 7 seasons with a soft underbelly?

I was not trying to wallow in the mire, actually ive posted a lot lately saying im optimistic about the future, even thou its my opinion that we will go down this season. I agree with you in one respect nutty, it should be solely on Citys merit if they go down or stay up. I really dont know why we were trying to compare Leicester with City anyway. I also agree with you about the last 7 seasons, as a club we have risen from the L1 ashes in a fabulous way, and in reality with the small finance weve had available compared to many clubs we have done remarkably well.But the giste of this topic was about how we as fans feel, a1 alluding to maybe we are feeling a bit bad after Saturday, and the position we are in. So to me its a topic based on how the team are performing on the pitch, not how the whole club is  and has been  run. Simply my opinion that City on the pitch have a soft underbelly, such as Newcastle and Saturday, also occasions when we dont even turn up, like at Bournemouth, or just  generally poor like at Watford and Southampton, or outclassed like at Spurs. Anyways always its opinions, nothing we say has any bearing on what  happens  on the pitch.

So you want us to remember that a team appearing to be dead and buried last season could climb to safety at the expense of another team just outside the relegation places! And that makes us feel better how!? ,. Villa anyone!

you look at Leicester last year and the manager kept them up !

so they sacked him to progress so it wouldn''t happen this year

would Norwich do that no way !

Essy buddy, I don''t doubt you''ve been positive lately. Even if you haven''t so what? The negative nancies amuse me just like the Percy positives amuse them. The point I was making was that you have to be really deep in the pit to make the statement that our players have consistently shown a soft underbelly for seasons. It absolutely amazes me that our present position, and losing 4-5 to Liverpool can cause you to imagine that.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]you look at Leicester last year and the manager kept them up !

so they sacked him to progress so it wouldn''t happen this year

would Norwich do that no way ![/quote]"so they sacked him to progress"But that''s not what happened. They got rid of Pearson due to off field issues with him and his son, rather than anything else.Then they hired Ranieri, which I think most people at the time thought was a crazy appointment (I know I did), much like Magath at Fulham a while back. I don''t think anyone could have dreamed it would turn out like it has - including the board at Leicester.Sure, they made a good appointment. it''s turned out fantastic for them. But I don''t think anyone can say that Pearson was sacked as part of a progression plan.