Sign in to follow this  
David Matthews

Radio Norfolk commentarys

Just been reading that radio norfolk have given roy waller the axe from away match commentarys.

just wondering peoples thoughts about the decision to replace him with Chris Goreham.

personally i think it is a good move as he was a bit past it! Still a legend though!

Leg End, more like, arf...

To be perfectly frank, I''ve never been a fan of Roy! He can make the most exciting game sound dull as dishwater, he just uses the same phrases over and over (its laaarng, its deep... right footed in-swinger, etc)... and and and, and I''m afraid that this is unforgiveable, he spent a lot of last season cheering for the other team!!! When West Ham scored in the FA Cup he shouted "Oh yes, yes, yes!!"

I mean, its just not cricket (or football, Jamie!)!!!

Good riddance, sorry....

I think he will be missed. his commenteries sometimes left a bit to the imagination, but he was a true norwich fan and has a lot of passion for the club. thats probably why his commenteries were a bit scatty at times.

Nope, not happy about this. Boreham will ensure that most away games are spent either watching Ceefax or the BBC Live Scores online!!

Roy Waller is a legend, even if he does get it wrong sometimes and has to be corrected by Neil Adams. It''ll be a shame to see his role scaled down this season.

As someone who relies very much on listenning to Radio Norfolk through the internet I am sad to hear the familiar Norfolk voice of Roy Waller will be missing from the away games next season - he is a true fan and even if he makes alot of bungles he is still one of us and people should stop slagging him off. I do wonder whether it was his own decision - as he is getting on and it creates alot of extra pressure going off to away games - long may he remain in the crows nest at Carrow Road.

I too will have to resort to listening to 95% of matches on Canaries World from abroad, and whenever I''ve listened to Goreham, I get the feeling I''m listening to a Ridgeons League match....the pace is slow and little variation in the voice IMO - rather like the Palace and West Brom commentators we sometimes had to listen to when CW packed up

Is it a fact that hes been axed? Or has he perhaps decided to enjoy a few Saturday afternoons with his nearest and dearest?
Whatever the case, I''ll mis his commentary. Theres no way I could afford to get to more than a handful of away matches a season and I''m grateful to Roy for keeping me entertained.
Hes the Murray Walker of football. Legend.

Waller is a legend, he just gets carried away sometimes!

Goreham would be a good alternative, but id rather listen to "yes yes yes!!!" roy!

Sad to hear about this. For so many years, for fans who can''t get to games he''s the voice of Norwich City. Even now I''m a season ticketer, I still take a pocket wireless along to listen in to what the ol'' boy is saying. I''ve got mixed feelings about Goreham. Sure he''s young and still has plenty to learn about the commentating game, but when ever I hear him, it just sounds like any other footie com. We''ve already got the level headed half with the analysis, we need the other half to be the fan, who gets excited and shows the emotions. Thats what I''ll miss.

Certainly will be missed. Can remember on more than one occasion listening to RN, whilst doing something else, and hearing the word "Goal". used to spend the next 20 seconds to find out which team had scored!!

The use of the word Legend is not for people like Roy Waller. It is for people like John Lennon, Martin Luther-King, Muhammed Ali and Nelson Mandela.

Roy is a yarn-spinning, waffling muppet who should be entertaining his fellow co-workers of Blooms with stories of blankets, cups of tea and the weather NOT ruining my saturday with his INEPT commentary.

If we slag off people like Gary Holt and Damien Francis for not doing their job well, WHY does the same not apply to Roy Waller?

Perhaps for next season''s away games I will know who is playing, who we are playing, and who has just scored rather than having to deduce it using the volume of the cheering in the background.

roy waller is an absolute top banana....... he is brilliant. Fair enough he does not always get it right but that just adds to the enjoyment as long as he is corrected in the end by neil. I do think it is a good idea that the other lad does away games though as it will give us fans a bit of variety!!! I aint happy with people slagging roy off either as he is a true canary and has done alot for the club over the years........ I remember listening to roy waller commentating "on that" penalty shoot out against bolton about 7 years ago - he made quite a few blunders in that one!!!

THANK GOD!!!!!  I''m absolutely delighted at about this I have to say.  Being an exile for the past couple of years I have listened to radio Norfolk more and more.  I am eternally grateful to them for providing me with a way of hearing the action live.  However, Roy Waller is awful.  He might be a "legend" but he''s an extremely poor commentator. 

So long and fair well Roy

Thank God Waller is being axed.

I''m sure he is a nice guy and he is good at interviewing local "celebrities" in the studio, but his commentaries let the BBC down.

I hate to say it but for the last few Ipswich games I have tuned into Radio Suffolk so I could get a more balanced, descriptive account of the game (as well as to laugh at the poor Ipswich commentators who obviously didn''t like the fact we won!).

He has no knowledge of the laws of the game. An offer from the Referees Association to help him on this rather important aspect of the job was rather rudely turned down by this so called legend. Obviously a godlike entity like him doesn''t need to know such trivia.

Chris Goreham may not yet be such a well known name in the area, but he will be. Look at his coverage of the Senior Cup Final last season where he brough a rather one-sided game to the thousands who weren''t there in a way that described the game and atmosphere far better than Waller''s over-excited, looking the wrong way, uneducated style ever could.

Good luck Chris!

Uncle Roy is a great personality and I enjoy much of his other work on Radio Norfolk, not the country music thing I hasten to add.

But as a football commentator I prefer Mr. Goreham, he''s a somewhat soulless personality but he definitely describes the action more accurately than Roy.

Roy Waller sadly is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard when it comes to commentating. Chris Goreham has done some excellent work with Kings Lynn and the Senior Cup final, so welcome Chris.

Sadly Waller gave us a poor account of the game. He has no knowledge of the laws of the game, and even turned down an offer from the Referees Association to help him overcome this rather important gap in his knowledge. I have lost count of the number of times that Neil Adams has had to tell him that he was talking about the wrong player or that he missed something important.

Last season we were on Radio 5 a lot more so I could listen to that. The season before I tuned into BBC Suffolk for a more accurate description of what was going on - well it was funny too!

Good luck Chris Goreham.

Hallelujah, those of us who can''t afford to go to away games will no longer have to listen to the commentator for the over-80s. Whenever I listen to Roy, I always get the impression the game is in black and white or sepia, and the players are wearing long baggy shorts and smoking pipes whilst kicking around a pig''s bladder.

However, I fear Boreham will be like his young erstwhile sidekick, afraid to inject any pace into the commentary in case he offends his ageing mentor, so we ''aint got much to look forward to there. Plus we''ll still have to listen to that whining nonce Adams who''s still afraid to criticise anyone in case they won''t make him welcome at Delia''s dos.

Saying that though, I guess Radio Norfolk''s catchment age group doesn''t go much under 65 for the rest of its programmes so why should we expect any different for the footy?

[quote]The use of the word Legend is not for people like Roy Waller. It is for people like John Lennon, Martin Luther-King, Muhammed Ali and Nelson Mandela. Roy is a yarn-spinning, waffling muppet who sho...[/quote]

Mook. Head, hit and nail springs to mind.

Will still have to suffer the home games though! Mind you if I don''t know who has scored will just have to pop out in the garden and listen to the roar of Carrow Road to find out (or the silence if it''s not us).

[quote]Nope, not happy about this. Boreham will ensure that most away games are spent either watching Ceefax or the BBC Live Scores online!![/quote]

I''m with you Alex, Roy is the doyen of commentaries for city fans.

I''m disgusted with Radio Norfolk about this. The other guys hopeless in my opinion. Too fond of describing the decor of the ground rather than the game.

Bring back the Waller 1 now full time, home and away!.

I know, I''ll stop listening, that''ll teach them!. 

Its the spotty supporting youth, who have caused this to happen IMO, Roy is older, and they can''t relate to class. I mean, look at the useless pop bands they follow!, now, Styx and Marillion, they were bands............................