Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

How Many think we will stay up ?

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="93vintage"][quote user="pete"]It''s not Alex Neill''s fault he is trying to juggle second rate championship players into a team capable of surviving in the Premier League the playground of billionaires. He never had the tools to even succeed at this level. A rookie who did wonders to get us to this stage.

The blame clearly lies with McNally who has enough experience at Premier level who until recently has failed to assist Neil in his quest. Probably too late. Let''s not kid ourselves McNally is the power behind the throne. It was obvious to all this defence was never going to be good enough the only transfer action in the summer seemed to come alive on deadline day. Who appointed Lee Darnborough as head of scouting?

A second rate championship CB would have been an improvement on a plodding former RB.

Relegation almost certain with little chance of promotion in the future with departures in the summer. Trust Naismith and Klose have relegation clauses in their contracts and that is not having salaries halved.[/quote]It''s looking bleak if we do get relegated as we''ll have so many older players in need of replacing, with less money to replace them.We started on the slippery slope once Lambert left, so I''d agree that

McNally would be far more to blame than Alex Neil should we go down.It''s a difficult situation to recover from once you get into it, and McNally has ploughed on making worse instead of addressing it.[/quote]
I don''t think McNally has made anything worse. I think the problem we''ve had is we haven''t had a spine with enough quality to be able to sign young players to play and learn around them. We''ve needed to improve on quality on limited funds and the only way to do that effectively is to sign players like Naismith.
If we had 2 solid CB''s, a quality 2man midfield pairing and a 10-15 goal a season striker, you can afford to gamble on some up and coming younger players and give them the experience we need. We can''t.
[/quote]We''re going to have to do it at some stage otherwise we''re going to struggle to compete long term. And I''m not necessarily talking about playing 18-22 year olds, signing a few more players say between 23-26 would help.It''s one of those things where we have to start somewhere, and we did manage it to a large extent before under Lambert without the sky falling in.It''s a massive challenge, but an achievable one.

Predicted 16th at the start of the season and still believe that''s where we will finish. The season has been just as tough as I expected in the summer with the odd surprise thrown in just to keep it interesting.

I think we''ll do it but there won''t be much to spare. People keep thinking all those around us will improve and put a run together but why shouldn''t we ? The other teams are probably thinking exactly the same about us. Unless that little purple patch around Christmas WAS our run ? The new signings should make a positive difference but we have been extremely fortunate with injuries. If we''d suffered like Bournemouth in that respect we''d have been sunk. We''re bound to get at least one or two so let''s hope it''s players where we''ve decent cover. A new '' quality '' forward - for us anyway - would be very nice before the end of the current window.I''ll go for a very tight 16th.

Relegation and 33 points, said at start of season, said same thing after Southampton win. To me was fundamental we had same defence, was not fooled by first 10 games, the away games at Newcastle and Southampton was a copy of previous seasons, repeated recently vs. Muff and Liverpool. But not a forever negative for me, this window has shown City acting positively, just to late for this season. Naisy could be most important signing since Grant Holt. Fiery, gritty, pita for oppo midfielders to mark, knows where the back of the net is to. Make him  Captain now, hes the one guy who can bark and shout. Klose to could well turn out a great signing. But we needed more, so to late for this season. But, if we can keep hold of them, next season in the Champs could be  fun. Im optimistic, but just not for  our present season.Last 2 seasons in the Prem, after 23 games, 23 points would have got you 13th. Shows that this season, the bottom 7 or 8 clubs have amassed much more points than recently, can only seeing it increase to, with the absurd chase for big moolah for next season. 38 points may well be not enough. So for me, City down and by a comfortable margin.

I remain positive and think we will be Ok. Villa are gone in my book and as for Sunderland a lot are saying Big Sam will get them out of trouble, well since 1st December they have taken just 4 points from 9 League games so something dramatic has got to happen to arrest that slide. Now for everybody''s favourite Bournemouth, next week whilst we are playing Spurs they are playing Arsenal so i cannot see them increasing the gap between us. A look at April sees them playing Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool. These are the reason i currently remain positive.

I think we''ll hit 40 points. We''re capable of grinding out 4 more wins and a few draws, if we go down we''ll probably feel hard done by and will be extremely strong in the championship next year anyway.

Getting to 40 points this year with so many of our expected competition nowhere near the relegation places and our actual rivals being big clubs with a few really great individuals and canny managers.

It''ll go down to the last day imo

...trailed off there. getting to 40 points this year with... would still be a really decent season for us considering how we''ve struggled in the transfer market for a couple of seasons now

A lot depends on whether following the Liverpool game Alex Neil has finally learnt from his continual errors, ie realising Captain Fantastic Russell Martin has no place in the centre of any premier league defence. Giving players such as Mulumbu a fair crack of the whip as opposed to continually affording the same opportunities to players who have offered us nothing all season such as Graham Dorrans. Learning to read the game better and change things up accordingly as opposed to the close the stable door after the horse has bolted style management we''ve seen from him too often this season. Ultimately though teams who concede goals like we do very rarely survive, if the manager doesn''t work out a solution to this very soon we''re going down.

For me it boils down to having faith in 3 other teams finishing below us ... I love what Neil is doing and want him here next season whatever happens ... but I wouldn''t bet on it come May, sadly.

Agree about AN, he needs to stay even if the worst happens.

However I think we will just stay up, which will be a great achievement for the club with the smallest budget.

17th place was always a big ask with our squad and management.

With a few additions this summer I felt it was a big ask. We needed better as more players to make 17th and above more likely.

January we have signed some good players to replace some of our weaker links, but for me we need 2 more starters, belief, professionalism and higher levels of concentratio. Not only the players have to up their game, the coaches too.

AN admitted we cannot have 4-5 players playing at their best and carrying the others in this league. I believe that is very much the case.

So simply 2 more starters and up our current levels from players to coaches the we can.

Without it is more than likely we won''t make it. We are relying on others messing up badly and beating them wen we get our six pointer games.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"] ... I love what Neil is doing and want him here next season whatever happens ...[/quote]
Well said, couldn''t agree more, we have a good manager on our hands here and even if we do go down the board must keep him and back him. I have every confidence he will get us promotion back.

I can see us getting another 13 points from our remaining matches-is 36 points usually enough? I don''t know, but I can''t see any of Villa, Sunderland or Newcastle finishing above us.

Mind you, I did predict at the beginning of the season that Leicester would go down as Ranieri didn''t have what it takes to manage a team in a relegation battle.

I''d say that either of Newcastle or Sunderland could finish above us, as both have experienced managers and teams capable of picking up a few wins.If either of the two North East sides went on a winning run then we''d be looking at trying to finish above Swansea or Bournemouth. Bournemouth seem to have got to grips with the PL after an early adjustment period, and Swansea have acted quickly to appoint an experienced boss after deviating off track under Gary Monk. Neither look soft enough to be in great danger.All in all it''s looking very precarious and I''d say it''s between us and an improving Newcastle. They seem to have tightened up a fair bit, and I fear that this will be the reason that they stay up at our expense.

Good Question. Exactly what message boards are for. This is the question being asked in pubs across the country . Not at all sure why certain poster''s adopt the Holier than though approach to it being asked. But these posters have probably applied to have their photo hanging from a lamp post near the ground in true recognition that they are better supporters than the rest.

Anyway , I''m in the Ricardo camp. It''s a hope rather than a belief. We have to get to 36 points at least this year I think.

I think it''s 50:50 at the moment. Villa are definates for the drop in my opinion but I think there''s too many games left to decide on us. Yes the teams around us have signed new players but I think Naismith could be the key for us. I''m just hoping we don''t have a repeat of the same case with Naismith as there was with Ashton in 2005 (it was believed that had we signed Ashton in the summer we would of stayed up)

I think you need to wait for at least 4 more games before you can start predicting how we will finish

I like our squad and feel confident in Alex Neil''s ability BUT....I just can''t see Newcastle, Swansea or Bournemouth going down....

One of those 3 or us will be going down with Sunderland and Villa IMO. I can see it being between us and Bournemouth for 17th and 18th.

I am afraid I am in the hope rather than belief camp. If Klose turns out to be a very solid competent centre back we might just scrape it. Although I find a good proportion of the opposition as being fairly mediocre I still think we generally lack quality across the pitch. Whilst our defence has certainly looked vulnerable nevertheless our midfield rarely achieves any sort of control and there are several occasions when we simply have not looked like scoring. OK we scored four on Saturday but that was a one off !! However the most worrying aspect is that where ever you look we have no settled formation with continual chopping and changing and the Managers constant tinkering is not the answer. His situation is not helped, and coaching must take some blame, in that I have seen little evidence of any improvement in individual performances this season. To be fair to AN some players could show more enthusiasm and effort, and heading that list is Redmond who has been miles away from his best. It will be very much touch and go.

[quote user="GPB"]Good Question. Exactly what message boards are for. This is the question being asked in pubs across the country . Not at all sure why certain poster''s adopt the Holier than though approach to it being asked. But these posters have probably applied to have their photo hanging from a lamp post near the ground in true recognition that they are better supporters than the rest.

Anyway , I''m in the Ricardo camp. It''s a hope rather than a belief. We have to get to 36 points at least this year I think.[/quote]

I haven''t got a clue if we''ll stay up or not. I think differently after every result. I bet a lot more people think we''ll stay up when we win a couple of games than when we lose a couple. I am confident that we will lose many more games than we win and will finish with a double figure negative goal difference. But that could still be mid-table....

Oh and the rest of your post is the holiest holier than thou post I''ve seen this week GPB[;)]