Sign in to follow this  
TCCANARY

What were the inflatable banana's all about

Didn''t see the game last night but looking at the pictures on-line there seems to be a lot of inflatable banana''s.

Anyone know what that''s about?

Obviously got no idea how old you are TCCANARY, but inflatables of all sorts were a big thing on the terraces (and yes I do mean terraces) for a few years in the late 80s and early 90s. If you were at Villa Park for the Everton semi-final in 1989 you would have seen thousands of inflatabe Canaries.

Some say that it was Man City who started the whole thing with inflatable bananas. So I guess last night was just a bit of a nostalgia thing for them.

Its all coming back to me now. Apparently it all started when Man City had a player called Imre Varadi. They used to chant his name, but somehow ''Varadi'' turned into ''banana'' and then the inflatable banana thing started.

Yes, I''m old enough to remember them first time around.

Friend from Manchester (not a fan of City or United) just sent me this from the MEN, seems that they were given to the fans by the club to revive memories of Maine Rd, my memory of Maine Rd was the corrugated iron style roof on one of the stands.

Manchester City revived Maine Road memories with inflatable bananas at their their Capital One Cup clash with Everton.

City called on fans to roll back the years by bringing the iconic 1980s symbol to the Etihad.

And just in case, the club provided scores of them for fans.

According to City, inflatable bananas have been part of "the club’s folklore and have been a staple part of matchdays for City fans for more almost 30 years".