Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Tommy Bryceland R.I.P.

Haven''t seen this anywhere but copied this from his Facebook page. One of my early memories of following City, a true legend to many of us older fans.

Tommy passed away peacefully this morning after a short battle with cancer. He will be very sadly missed. x

Tommy Bryceland''s photo.

Shocked to hear that news.Tommy was one of my all time favourites and a key player during a fairly barren time in the 1960''s. If Tommy was missing the points were always harder to come by. When I watch Wes Hoolahan I am often put in mind of Tommy. He will be sadly missed by all those who can remember him.

Thanks for putting those video clips up on here LDC.There is another grainy video around showing Tommy scoring our consolation in the MOTD highlights of that FA Cup 5th Round game. Someone put it up on here a while back so maybe a computer whizz can find it and pop it back up on this thread please ?

[quote user="ricardo"]Shocked to hear that news.Tommy was one of my all time favourites and a key player during a fairly barren time in the 1960''s. If Tommy was missing the points were always harder to come by. When I watch Wes Hoolahan I am often put in mind of Tommy. He will be sadly missed by all those who can remember him.[/quote]Yes. What they used to call in Scotland "a tanner ba'' player". Meaning someone who grew up honing their skills with a small "sixpence ball" in the back streets or on waste ground. Hard to believe now, but was there was a time when Scotland produced great players. Bryceland wasn''t quite that for his country (although if it hadn''t been for an early broken leg, when they were killer injuries...) but he was for us. RIP.

Gutted to hear this. Tommy was my first hero. He was an amazing player as others have already said. Wes reminds me of him in many ways. Tommy had the edge as a goalscorer though. He scored 55 goals for us from midfield. Back then we called him an inside forward.

I believe Lakey''s Scottish Cup Final was played in front of 119,000 people. I doubt any other player in our history has scored in front of that many people either before or after playing for us.

The game that Smithy mentions was indeed my first game, was the game that I fell in football love with Tommy and also was Norwich''s first game on MOTD. You can watch the highlights here : -

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/923

I did a card for Tommy for our "Still On The Ball" group : -

RIP Tommy - A true City legend.

Thanks Tommy for brilliant memories. As others have said, he didn''t actually play in one of our better teams and that was a shame but he was ''worth the admission money alone''

A favourite player of my mum and dad.

Condolences to Tommy''s family

[quote user="lake district canary"]More Scottish brilliance on this one at 5.40 - 6.00 minutes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg5UL8JRm4M

[/quote]

A little before my time, but what a pass that is at 5.50-6.00 in this clip. RIP Tommy Bryceland. I hope there''s some applause tomorrow and BT can replay some coverage.

It''s always very difficult to compare players from different eras but if I was to compile my best NCFC eleven since I started following the Canaries in 1960 Tommy would be very close to being in the line-up. As others have said boy could he pick a pass, like Wes, but he also wasn''t afraid to really get stuck in and he scored a fair number of goals for an inside forward. RIP Tommy.

Condolences to Tommy''s family. For those of us that had the pleasure of seeing him in a Norwich jersey he will be in our memories until we cease to walk the earth too.

I remember bicycling to school with my friends arguing the relative merits of Tommy Bryceland and Jimmy Hill. He was a wizard. Ahh, to have those times again.

I saw my first match in 1963 and will never forget the way he combined with Ron Davies. Great players and true Club legends who will never be forgotten.

Very sad news.  Just like many others on here, Tommy was one of my all time favorites who I feel privileged to have watched many times and admire his undoubted skill with a football. Thanks for the wonderful memories Tommy, a bright light during some dark days. [*]

When Scotland produced great players.  Rest In Peace Tommy.  Honoured to have seen you play.  My condolences to the Bryceland family.

Thanks so much for posting this link, I really enjoyed watching it in full and got quite emotional. I was at the game as a 10 year old.

Loved the shots of the crowd standing pitch side of the barriers behind the Barclay End goal. Happy days.

I also remember my Dad taking me to Hampden Park for the Scotland v England game in 1970 with my Norwich City shoulder bag and being stopped on a couple of occasions to talk about Tommy Bryceland.

R.I.P Tommy