Sign in to follow this  

You can still get as good as 20/1 for him to sign for hull but Norwich now as low as 1/4.

My opinion is before yesterday I thought we would sign him. However Naismith and Mbokani looked so good you suspect Bamford would be on bench exactly how he finished at Palace and that he did not want to do.

We need better on the bench than Jerome and we need real competition for Mbokani. The latter is unlikely to be here next season. Not sure Bamford is the answer, the Palace thing has really put me off. The last thing we need is a player grizzle gutting because they aint playing.

If we are hoping that Bamford is going to be our saviour this season then we may as well plan for the champ next season. Bamford will be OK but I cannot see him being any better than Mbokani and getting ahead of him in the team.

[quote user="Yellow Green Army"]If we are hoping that Bamford is going to be our saviour this season then we may as well plan for the champ next season. Bamford will be OK but I cannot see him being any better than Mbokani and getting ahead of him in the team.[/quote]If anyone is going to be our ''saviour'', it''s Naismith, whom we have just paid £8.5m for. If we sign another striker who has the potential to poach us some goals between now and the end of the season, what''s the problem?

I agree with the points put forward but talk of bolstering the forward line and chucking decent sums of money at it is ridiculous with our farcical defensive problems this season (and last).

Granted we know that it will change in the coming games with Klose surely coming in but not sure that will be enough, any spare money needs to be spent on the defence and not strikers.

Four goals on Saturday suggests we''ve got the fire power and the fact can''t even get a draw says far more than I can write on here.

[quote user="Jed Maxwell"]Four goals on Saturday suggests we''ve got the fire power and the fact can''t even get a draw says far more than I can write on here.[/quote]In isolation that is true, but it''s not the whole story, is it? In the 12 games prior to Saturday we scored 9 goals. Mbokani and Naismith do look promising, but an injury or suspension to either would leave us very light on firepower. Missing Tettey and O''Neil on Saturday was also a factor – I don''t think we will see Alex field such a gung-ho formation and system again this season.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Jed Maxwell"]Four goals on Saturday suggests we''ve got the fire power and the fact can''t even get a draw says far more than I can write on here.[/quote]In isolation that is true, but it''s not the whole story, is it? In the 12 games prior to Saturday we scored 9 goals. Mbokani and Naismith do look promising, but an injury or suspension to either would leave us very light on firepower. Missing Tettey and O''Neil on Saturday was also a factor – I don''t think we will see Alex field such a gung-ho formation and system again this season.[/quote]

I agree completely with what you are saying and in particular the lack of goals in the preceding matches but looking at the past 3 league games 5 goals scored doesn''t alarm me so much as the 11 conceded.

You''d like to think that in normal circumstances as it were if a team had scored 5 goals in the last 3 games they would have picked up at least one win along the way.

It''s done now though and what happens in the coming weeks is what matters.

[quote user="Jed Maxwell"]I agree completely with what you are saying and in particular the lack of goals in the preceding matches but looking at the past 3 league games 5 goals scored doesn''t alarm me so much as the 11 conceded.

You''d like to think that in normal circumstances as it were if a team had scored 5 goals in the last 3 games they would have picked up at least one win along the way.

It''s done now though and what happens in the coming weeks is what matters.[/quote]I hear you. I think that once Pinto and Klose are up to speed, we should be okay defensively – particularly as we will have Tettey, O''Neil and Mulumbu available to shield the back four. We''ve actually been pretty solid defensively with fewer options available to us – Man City was a virtual reserve side against a world-class team, Stoke was a good performance with 10 men, so only the last two performances give me real cause for concern. In terms of defenders, we have Whittaker, Pinto, Martin, Wisdom, Bennett, Bassong, Klose, Olsson and Brady available to us – even if Whittaker leaves (as I think he might), eight defenders should be enough. I think a quick, nippy goalscorer is a higher priority personally, but wouldn''t complain if we did sign another defender.

This one seems to be building a head of steam as a buy not a loan. If we paid £8 to £10m then we would have to play him. He would also be ideal in the event of relegation teamed up with Jerome and Naismith. It would seem Chelsea will insist on a buy back clause they must be haunted by Lukaku

How does a buy back clause work? Do we agree a price now or do they have to match a best offer or just get first refusal?

Seems a strange concept where we would take all the risk. If he''s a huge hit and we''ve agreed a price around what we paid then they reap the benefits and if he''s a flop they just say no thanks.

A ''buy back clause'' generally means that a price is set for a player and the selling club can activate it within a certain time limit. The price is generally very high and they are very rarely used. Barcelona add this clause as standard when selling young players due to the fight they had trying to sign Fabregas. Deulofeu famously has one.

Bale and Ozil have ''first refusal'' clauses in their contracts which several media outlets are incorrectly calling ''buy back clauses'' - this means Tottenham or Real Madrid must be notified if the players are to be sold with 48 hours notice so they can match the bid if they so wish.

Which clause Chelsea want to add, if any, is unclear - but shouldn''t prohibit Norwich from buying Bamford greatly. If he comes, scores goals to keep Norwich in the Prem then he is worth it.

He''d be a great buy in the summer, with safety secured.

Not sure he would make much of an impact in the next few months, but undoubtedly a huge talent and with a little patience and guidance he could fulfil his potential.

However, buying him now - giving him 10 mins off the bench here and there in the ridiculous high pressure situation Norwich are currently in is going to be no better for him than loaning Harry Kane was, for the player or the club.

If he signed tomorrow I would be happy - but have a nagging feeling the money might have been better spend on addressing the immediate problems of the next 4 months.

I imagine AN is interested in part due to Bamford''s performance against us at Carrow Rd. He did look very good that evening, but I haven''t seen him play against a Prem quality defence.

I liked his movement, but didn''t feel he looked particularly quick or strong and wonder how effective he''d be up against a big old physical Stoke or West Ham defender.

I would prefer Gayle in his likely price range, as he offers genuine pace.

if we get relegated he is proven at championship level

if we stay up the risk of signing him is minimal due to resale value based on his proven championship pedigree

Reminds me of Harry Kane in style and about where Kane was in his development. Wouldn''t be surprised if he develops the same way, IF the club he goes to gives him a similar platform, that''s why I would like to see us sign him. But fans will need patience, not in a lot of supply round here...

That''s what I was inferring to Paul, I forgot the need to be grammatically correct on the forum.

Re other thread AN missing from Q and A due to concluding a possibly loan deal. Could it be Bamford?

An uninspiring loan deal but could be exciting if a full transfer.

Quite a safe signing if under the £12m mark, proven next year if we end up in the championship. Plus he''s English which people always seem to pay buckets for.

I think when Kane came to us it was his first loan out? May be wrong, but Bamford has netted 43 goals whilst out on loan so not really a comparison to Kane when he came to us