Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jedi

Who is scouting for us?

Really excited about all the young signings. It has led me to wonder how these kids were spotted - did our policy change (buying in ones for the future) and is there someone new scouting out these talents?

Neil Adams may well have spotted the Maddison, who knows.

Massive improvement with our recruitment all round this time, good to see a couple from abroad, (Pinto, Klosse) couple of home based (Naismith, Jarvis) a quality loan in Bamford, and some exciting youth to add to the mix.

Well done NCFC, the collective, happy to clap happy tonight.

Obviously every club has a network of scouts, many of them who we never know by name. But feels like a big change has occured within our club in the past 6 months. I look back to the summer window, when City failed to strengthen in 1 or 2 key areas, and when Lee Darnborough was getting some flak, mainly based on his time at Burnley.Hindsight is a wonderful thing, last summer we had swum in a sea of glory beating Ipswich on the way to Wembley then getting promoted. We knew had possibly captured a brilliant young manager in Alex, but perhaps we expected to much to soon because he had such a brilliant  first 6 months. He inherited a team halfway thru a season, and we expected him and the club to instantly find players for every position that needed strengthening.Everything takes time, not just finding players for the 1st team, but also spotting, then grabbing, hopeful young prospects for the future. So obviously Alex gets the main credit as hes the manager, but the board itself, and McNally, for making things happen to have given us a very decent window, and the club in general, for the hard work behind the scenes. For me, going down or staying up is short term, this window has given good things for short and long term.Its all in the vibes man...the summer window we ended with some negative vibes, this window theyre mostly positive.

the way it happens at other clubs I imagine same here

you have a network of lesser scouts trusted local people who watch local teams then they let the scouts higher up the chain know the professional scouts the watch him and filter back to chief scout

then chief scout tells manager then he decides to watch or bid etc

so a team could have 20 local scouts watching games in spain and filtering back to one main scout in spain

so the main scout can have eyes at every game and then choose which one to follow

it doesn''t cost that much for the local scouts expenses + ticket

I don''t know but maybe a payment if player found but I would think so

I know 3 professional scouts and they sometimes watch 3 games a week all different levels and some strange teams you would not expect !!

Much of scouting now is done using systems such as WyScout or ProZone. Instead of having the low level scouts scouring games analysts pour through the data looking for stand out figures. These systems also include videos of players for scouts to watch to makes sure reality is in line with the data.

Norwich''s chief scout, Lee Darnborough used to work for ProZone so guessing he is a fan of this system.

This doesn''t cover very low levels of course, so much is still done by informal networks. I would imagine players like Godfrey, Adams and possibly even Maddison were signed by Ricky Martin, who is working as a Director of Football in Norwich and is behind the long-term planning.