Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

A busy window but was it a good one?

I wake up to a strange feeling today. Whilst one has to applaud the intent shown in this window, and the ambition shown, I cannot help that it is all a little too late to help us and that the focus hasn''t been where it is needed.

Hopefully Klose is going to be a revelation. But what if he is injured? We are back to a very shaky looking back 4. Pinto might improve us but having been part of a defence that leaked 5 goals we cannot guarantee it...let us hope he comes good.

As I say then- loving seeing the signings but why so many attacking players when it is the DEFENCE that needs sorting?

So - as I said- a strange one. Kind of - good effort- but was it what we actually needed? Or are the board building for the future knowing the worst case scenario could happen?

50% of the defence has been changed, much more than that could cause instability. January is a tough time to start integrating new players, which is why AN held Pinto and Klose back. Bassong and Olsson/Brady are good enough for the rest of the season.

Norwich have looked pretty toothless at times, creating and missing plenty of chances - there also weren''t enough options up front. Naismith and Bamford provide competition and flexibility.

People suddenly started calling out for a denfensive midfielder after the Liverpool game, but in reality O''Neill an Tettey are good enough for the remaining half of the season - Mulumbu in theory is also a player who can offer something in that position.

It''s been a fantastic window for Norwich - anyone saying otherwise is being unrealistic in their expectations. 5 first team players is a great haul and none look like panic signings a la Fer to Swansea.

I think it''s been an excellent transfer window for us, although I do agree much more should have been done in the summer. In relation to the signings, we''ve only really included 4 new players to the squad for the latter half of this season: two defence (Pinto and Klose) and two in attack (Naismith and Bamford). And, personally, as much as another cb would''ve been nice, introducing so many new faces to a back line that is already struggling to understand each other would probably not help us much. Hopefully the two additions made will shore us up, help prevent relegation, and we can build on it again in the summer.

"Hopefully Klose is going to be a revelation. But what if he is injured?"

That''s a good point. What''s the point in buying players who could get injured? Poor scouting IMO.

I think we''ve done as well as we can, we got graded an A by Paul Merson on sky sports and I agree with his assessment, there isn''t much more we could''ve done and I''m pleased with the effort, the only thing now is too hope it works out.

Of course it was a good window.

Naismith showed in one game some of what we''ve been lacking so far this season...cutting edge. For someone that hasn''t played much football lately, he certainly showed up our attacking players. Scored a cracking goal and won a penalty....and it''s one game. He could score us the goals to keep us up as we won''t be conceding 5 after scoring 4, again this season (hopefully).

A centre half was a must and we''ve got an experienced, top level (albeit not PL experienced) player in Klose. I actually agreed that it would''ve been too soon to play him against Liverpool (would''ve started Bennett and Bassong) but now the time has come to start him and form a solid back 4.

With Pinto the jury''s out. Was ok going forward but felt he was playing such a high line he was constantly being caught out defensively and was all at sea holding the line with the other 3. Doesn''t help that Martin (our captain!) wasnt hollering at him to stay in line and do his defensive job.

I say make Naismith the captain. The ONLY player against Liverpool constantly talking, boll***ing and encouraging the players thoughout the game.

Bamford is a another good option, offering something different to Mbokani and Jerome. Will be given the chance to play his way into the starting team and seems hungry for the challenge.

''''What if he gets injured'' is a stupid statement as could happen to anyone. Were we supposed to buy 2 CBs just in case?

Is it so many attacking players? Jarvis was here anyway, we needed attacking players that will convert chances, Naismith has done that in his first game. The defence will be more than 50% different than the start of the season with Rudd, Pinto and Klose more than likely starting very soon.

In terms of it being too late, we''ll have to wait and see but again, why say that? Would you rather we just throw in the towel now and accept relegation?

Well done to the club I say. Look forward to the rest of the season...starting tonight!