Sign in to follow this  
keely LUFC

blame sven!

i''ve had a glance through but haven''t read every single post, so if this has been covered i apologise.

if green is unsettled sven has to take a lot of blame.

green is undoubtedly an england keeper of the future (there is a strong arguement for the present), but sven aint gonna play him ahead of robinson or even james IMHO.

even so, he''s had the ''i need to be in the prem to save my england career'' bolloxs put in his head. there''s no doubt being in the prem would help him, but it depends on the club he''s playing at.

svens shown with his ''shaun wright-phillips being at liverpool would be good for england and him'' comments that he favours players from certain clubs.

it would be better for rob greens england career to stay at norwich and win promotion straight back, then go to a club like portsmouth. i can''t believe he''s gonna be on that much more money at portsmouth either.

or am i talking crap?

No Keely, I think you are talking sense. Sven does tend to pick only players from the bigger clubs, for the starting places at least. he only picked James for England whilst in the First Division because he was proven, what Green isn''t. Kind of like what Olsen is doing with Helveg, Sven is telling Green that a move to the Premiership would significantly improve his chances of caps. Like you say however, i don''t belive that a move to a club such as Portsmouth, not disresect intended, would further his career significantly.

However, with kirkland poised to move to Albion on loan, Greens third goalie slot is looking to be under threat. If Green wants to be a part of the England World Cup squad then he needs really to be playing regular first team premiership football. But then a move to Pompey, where he would most likely be playing regular football, begs the question, will Sven pick Green at Pompey or Kirkland who is on loan at Albion, but essentially still a Liverpool player?

I honestly don''t know what Greeno should do for the best. A move to the premiership would enhance his career, especailly if he does go to Germany next summer, if he does leave he goes with my best wishes. There is also the sweetner that is that we will get a substantial transfer fund from the sale of Greeno, thus enhancing our chance of promotion (providing its spent wisely!). On the other hand staying with Norwich and then getting the possible promotion, like you say keely may be better for him.

I don''t think its fair to blame Sven, he did state that that being in the Championship wouldn''t affect Greeno''s chance of getting selected. He isn''t exactly talking like Olsen, is he?

Everyone knows it WILL effect his chances though, and Anselin''s point about Kirkland is spot on. You can''t blame Sven for this either, he is trying to prepare a squad to take on the world''s elite. Whoever he picks could be facing the likes of Ronaldinho, and the higher up you play your club football the better experience you will get. Sven''s preference would be to have all his squad getting Champions League experience, as would any England manager''s. Hence his comments about Wright-Phillips (its not a preference for a big club, but for the level they play at).

I think Greeno should stay until January, and see;

- If he IS still getting picked

- If we are looking likely to bounce straight back

- How Kirkland is getting on at WBA (is he injured?)

If he moves to a club like Portsmouth, who seem likely to struggle next season, he runs the risk of being part of a defence leaking goals again which won''t do his confidence OR his England chances much good. So I agree he should stay with us for his own benefit, at least for now ;-)

I still have a divided opinion over what I''d recommend Green to do. I''d dearly love to see him stay with Norwich, help us get promoted back to the Premiership at the first attempt, help us stay there next time, and eventually go on to become England''s first choice goalkeeper for several years. I don''t see any way that he will be first choice, or even reserve goalkeeper for England by the time the next World Cup comes round, regardless of whether he stays here or joins a top Premiership club; Robinson & James (despite his regular gaffs) are too well-established for that to happen. There would be a faint possibility of his beating Kirkland to the third spot, but really...what would be the point? Why go to the World Cup if there''s virtually no chance of you actually playing? I would probably suggest Green sets his eyes a little further down the line.

On the other hand, though, I''ve mentioned before that players need to be playing regularly against top-quality opposition to maximise their improvement and I don''t think Green will improve as much over this coming season by playing in the Championship as he would by playing another season in the Premiership. Much as I want to slap Olsen for his outspoken comments on The Championship, I can see the guy''s point of view. It must be tough for a player who gets accustomed to playing against fairly mediocre players twice weekly to suddenly adapt to handling world-class players on-tap a few times each year. I feel that staying with us might hinder Green''s professional development.

I want him to stay, though, so we can escape this annoying catch22 whereby we can''t stay in the top league because the best players keep leaving before we get a chance to build further quality around them.