Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Bennett or Bassong

For me after last nights poor performance again by Bassong, there is no doubt in my mind that Bennett has more to offer than Bassong. Bassong is far too slow in mind and action for the PL.

Should perhaps have done better with their early goal, gave away the pen and got booked. He is a disaster waiting to happen.

Bennett if feel would make a far better partner for Klose, and as far as I can see has done nothing wrong to when picked to be dropped.

Bennett shouldn''t have been dropped for Liverpool but the defence needs consistency now especially with Klose and Pinto new to English football

I think there is trouble in paradise. Only it is a bit of a mystery as to why Bennett lost his place to Martin vs Liverpool in the firstplace.I think that (excluding Klose as the jury is still out) Bennet is the best CB we have at the club by quite a margin.I know a few people who taught him as a lad and he had an attitude then. Quite a few rumours follow him as well, also was his tweet about a dull transfer deadline day a "come get me?" Just find it odd that our best defender has only managed to make the bench in the last two games.Bassong is also back to his Hooooghtan era best. The part where he recieves the ball, you watch the cogs whir he waves his hand around looking for a pass and either holds for too long and is robbed or back passes.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Bassong is also back to his Hooooghtan era best. The part where he recieves the ball, you watch the cogs whir he waves his hand around looking for a pass and either holds for too long and is robbed or back passes.[/quote]His dithering is more enjoyable if you count the seconds between him receiving the ball and actually making a pass. Like you would count the seconds between lightning strikes and thunder claps as a kid. "One elephant, two elephants, three elephants..."

I''ve never been a Bassong fan and find it hard to see why he''s an automatic choice!

He''s clumsy, has a slow footballing Brian, his passing is questionable but my biggest issue is his inability to just boot the ball out rather than his constant headers and clearances into no mans land allowing our opponent to run onto the ball and put us under pressure.

On his day and when on song he''s a decent enough defender but he just lacks the class needed, the first goal last night a good defender would have reacted to Alli and made a better fist of blocking the shot, then the questionable penalty again he was slow to react thus the wrong side.

All our defenders have been inconsistent but only Bennett has put in anything like a couple of the commanding performances that are required at this level, even if it''s not been as many of those as needed.

Still fingers crossed that Klose will get up to speed and be that consistent commanding presence in the back line that we desperately need.

Bassong. Reads the game better and doesn''t lose track of his man as often as Bennett does.

Also, as has been mentioned on here and what I hear people say at games... when you think Bassong "dithers" on the ball try looking up the pitch to see what he''s got on. He rarely holds onto the ball if a pass is on.

Definitely Bennett.Personally I would like to see a back line of Rudd, Martin, Bennett, Klose and Brady, with Tettey (after suspension) anchored in front of them, play the next 5-10 games and give them a chance to gel as a unit (which should have been done at the beginning of the season). Realistically we need to get 17 points from the next 14 games to be playing Premier League football in 2017 and I think the only way we will be able to do that is if we have a settled defence. The chopping and changing players and formations has, unsurprisingly, not worked. From now until the end of the season Neil pretty much needs to pick 11 players (bar injuries and suspensions) and say to them you are the guys I trust to keep us in the top flight.However I fear the story of this season will end up being one of too little too late, much like in 2005 where those in charge of the club dithered and it waited until January to sign Ashton. This inability to learn from previous mistakes is something that I find exasperating. I half expect the decision makers to wait until 5 games before the end of the season, sack AN, appoint Ricky Martin as interim manger and then after relegation and an extensive search of Europe give Martin a 5 year contract, followed by declaring we are living la vida loca and then hand out fat bonus cheques all round for a job well done. [:|]

I''m a Bassong fan, with that said, someone other than either of them? Untill then it''s going to be Bassong, cuz Neil thinks he''s better than Bennett and he''s right by a far far far far margin.

Bassong simply not Prem standard - switches off far too often - not comfortable on the ball - cost us goals at Watford - outmuscled by Ighalo and stood five yards off Harry Kane at White Hart Lane to let him score - should never play for us again in the prem - simple as

[quote user="Haggerdoo"]Bassong simply not Prem standard - switches off far too often - not comfortable on the ball - cost us goals at Watford - outmuscled by Ighalo and stood five yards off Harry Kane at White Hart Lane to let him score - should never play for us again in the prem - simple as[/quote]

and we''ve REPEATEDLY seen how much worse the defense is when he''s not there. End of.

Agree at this time, yes we probably need someone else. We don''t have anyone else, so... If we stay up it would be great to have someone else, if that happens however keep in mind Bassong was a reason we would. That''s how that works. He''s a bottom 7 PL CB, he''s the only one of those we have on the roster. He''s no better than that though and it would be great to have someone who is.

Has to be Bennett and Klose for rest of season otherwise we''ve got no chance of staying up - Bassonkey is past it- looked as if he was on drugs last night flapping around like a fish out of water - pile of sh*te - END OF

Pinto, klose, Bennett, Olsson

But our defensive problems only end with the back 4

They begin with the lack of cover from the midfield

Positional awareness across the pitch needs a look at. Was plenty of endeavour on display though, so that''s good to see.

I remain confident it will all "click"

Bamford is important in that as well. When we play without a target man we will be forced to play on the floor a bit more, we have technical ability to do that.

[quote user="Haggerdoo"]Gary Hooper sends his regards Champ END OF[/quote]

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha that says all that needs to be said. I mean I was terribly wrong about Hooper...

I read that Bennett has been in the side in each of the 4 occasions we kept a clean sheet which says everything on this subject and although i really like AN his inability to see in his own eyes which player is our best centre half is making me question him.

When we got relegated last time the final nail in the coffin was when Bassong was dropped. Any tiny hope of survival was gone with that.

He''s not the greatest defender you''ll ever see but he''s got more going for him than Bennett. Unfortunately people may have to learn that the hard way.

You''re right Yoda - Bennett has been in the side on each of the 4 occasions we''ve kept a clean sheet.

Guess what? Bassong has been in the side on each of the 4 occasions we''ve kept a clean sheet too!!!!!

bassong ahead of bennett every time. He and klose need some games to form a partnership, the constant changing and lack of trust AN has in bennett etc has to stop to give ourselves any hope of tightening up at the back.

[quote user="GJP"]When we got relegated last time the final nail in the coffin was when Bassong was dropped. Any tiny hope of survival was gone with that.

He''s not the greatest defender you''ll ever see but he''s got more going for him than Bennett. Unfortunately people may have to learn that the hard way.[/quote]

and our central defense was HORRIBLE in the Championship when he wasn''t with us. INCALCULABLY better when he was.

Tough one. I think Bennett is a much less complicated player than Bassong, in that he''ll head and kick and block anything you chuck towards him and is more likely to pass off possession to someone technically better otherwise.

Bassong flips regularly between nicely effective and comically ineffective with no real key to working out when or how it will occur. Personally, it would appear to me that there''s obvious pressure on the CB department right now (with extra scrutiny from recent failings + the addition of a multi-million pound signing) and yesterday that pressure shone through with Bass.

I would like to see Bennett''s physicality next to the apparent technical nous of Klose, but, if AN sees Bassong as the best option right now, there''s no reason to assume it''s the wrong decision.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]His dithering is more enjoyable if you count the seconds between him receiving the ball and actually making a pass. Like you would count the seconds between lightning strikes and thunder claps as a kid. "One elephant, two elephants, three elephants..."[/quote]That actually made me laugh out loud and distract my mrs who was rehearsing a presentation for work. Genius!