Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Bennett or Bassong......or Martin?

It could just be that with the class and calmness that Klose appears to have, that Martin amd he could make a good CB pairing.  We all know the errors that have been made - but lets not pretend Martin is the only culprit - and his back  pass against Liverpool was from the left hand side near the half way line, so cannot be ascribed to the fact that he was playing CB - it was just a mistake. Bassong got caught wildly out of position for the third goal.   None of the three appears to be the finished article, but if Klose is to be a regular fixture in the team, we have to see who he brings the best out of in the other three - and Martin could be the best of the three in that respect. Bassong looks a little lost to me and Bennett is more limited in his ability to join in build up play too much, but Martin - at his best - is effective - he just needs to be at his best.   

While I hate to be all ''forum police'' there is a thread entitled ''Bassong or Bennett about 5 below this- could you not have posted this in there?

Good point Lakey. You were telling us early season MARTIN IS A CENTRE BACK. Until he spent the subsequent months proving he wasn''t, then you went quiet.

Martin is best at right back if anywhere, where his defensive frailties are less exposed. Of the available I guess Bennett and Klose is the best pairing.

I think sometimes in modern football as we''re seeing with John Stones, we''re guilty of putting the cart before the horse - i.e. we get really excited about whether a centre back is a ball player and we forget about their primary function, which is to defend and snuff out danger.

We''ve conceded a scary amount of goals in 2016. That isn''t just the centre backs fault admittedly, there are other factors at play (such as lack of cover from midfield) but we need to get back to basics in the centre half area.

I think out of the 3, Bennett is the best pure defender. He is flawed, particularly against strikers with quick movement and speed of thought but he''d be my pick and the added attraction is that Klose is then free to play on his more favoured left side.

The slight unknown and issue we have is how Bassong would take being dropped. I think it''s no secret he''s a quite volatile character and you just worry it could be Adams mk II in terms of a dressing room battle, if he gets benched.

[quote user="king canary"]While I hate to be all ''forum police'' there is a thread entitled ''Bassong or Bennett about 5 below this- could you not have posted this in there?[/quote]

Didn''t want to risk being accused of taking the thread off track by introducing Martin to it.  To my mind Martin is still seen as a CB as proved by him playing there against Liverpool and is just as likely to be picked there as Bennett and Bassong.

In my mind Bennet is without any doubt our best CB . Why he was not on the pitch baffles me , but so do many other decisions on personnel by AN .

My observations of last night were that we looked worse than ever in defence . We looked most solid this season with Bennet and wisdom , and Brady at left back , the remaining spot , right now I think it has to be a decision on sticking with Bassong or using Klose .

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="king canary"]While I hate to be all ''forum police'' there is a thread entitled ''Bassong or Bennett about 5 below this- could you not have posted this in there?[/quote]

Didn''t want to risk being accused of taking the thread off track by introducing Martin to it.  To my mind Martin is still seen as a CB as proved by him playing there against Liverpool and is just as likely to be picked there as Bennett and Bassong. [/quote]
OK if he wants to be a CB, then he should be judged as a CB and as a CB he is utterly cack. If he''s not playing Right back, he shouldn''t be near our squad. It baffles me how anyone could still see him as a viable option, especially Alex. He is not an acceptable CB in this league and if he starts there, we are asking for trouble.

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]In my mind Bennet is without any doubt our best CB . Why he was not on the pitch baffles me , but so do many other decisions on personnel by AN .

My observations of last night were that we looked worse than ever in defence . We looked most solid this season with Bennet and wisdom , and Brady at left back , the remaining spot , right now I think it has to be a decision on sticking with Bassong or using Klose .[/quote]

Because Alex Neil doesn''t even think he''s better than Russel Martin. Thank GOD you aren''t Alex Neil.

Martin has never developed further to his abilities a few years ago. He has been a good right back but in our premiership years and the year we went down a lot of goals came down his side.

A move to centre works in other divisions but in this league he is up against international players who are proving the level he is. Nothing wrong with that players have a limit to how good they will be. Martin has reached his and if we do stay up this year he and many. Others that have been with us for a while will be very much squad players or be looking elsewhere as they have proved over our relegation season and this that they are not premiership players.

In answer to the question Bennett plays with klose and bassong as back up. Pinto battles with wisdom for the right back berth.

Bennett always impresses with "winning" unchallenged headers and hoofing the ball away but lacks awareness of what the opposition are doing around him.

Martin shouldn''t be in the conversation for a starting berth, he''s not a Premier League footballer.

Bennett has been very harshly treated for me, not sure what he''s done wrong (any more than anyone else) to be dropped from the squad (initially) and the team (last night).