Sign in to follow this  
ellis206

Rather lose attacking than play negative football

That was being branded round here a lot under the Hughton era was it not? People have got their wishes. Strange that the same people who said that are now complaining about losing a 4-5 thriller.

Not sure what the point is? Under Hughton we still lost playing negative crap and got relegated. Yesterday we still lost but had a hell of a ride watching it. Who wouldn''t rather have the latter one?

I have to say it was a great game to watch from the stands and far better than being bored to defeat by Hughton football, would rather go down like this than go down like we did under Hughton any season.

Got to say was bloody exciting to go 3-1 up and to come back to 4-4, wasn''t it?

People can moan and complain about all sorts of things, but the truth is that it doesn''t matter what style you play as long as you''re winning games.  Hughton tried a more structured style - if the strikers had done their jobs, we might have won a few more and people might have been a bit mire forgiving.  Adams tried a more positive attacking approach.....and that didn''t cut the mustard either.......    Same with Neil, it doesn''t matter if we attack for 90 minutes or defend for 90 minutes and hope to snatch a goal somewhere....winning matches is what it''s all about.  Van Gaal gets a lot of flack, but Utd fans although a bit grumbly, were happy enough when they were top of the league earlier this season.....a bit different now.  Results are all that matter in our position.

LDC stop preaching, that''s only your opinion not fact, I''d rather go down watching this every week than just stay up with the dross served up under Hughton.

After 20 years of season tickets I was thinking of ditching mine during Hughtons second season it was the most awful thing ever experienced at Carrow Road.

The strikers did do their job under Houghton, they ran around looking for the ball which was pinging around our penalty area due to us being far too deep and far too negative. Then Snodgrass tried to create something and people booed him for it.

But let''s not let LDC get his way and make this thread about Houghton who has now been found out at Brighton and again has no Plan b.

If we show the same attacking verve and tighten up the centre, we will be fine.

I agree, but you can still play attacking and do the basic defensive bit properly, it''s not too big of an ask from your centre backs to do their jobs or the manager to acknowledge you probably can''t play two attacking centre midfielders against Liverpool.

A choice between Hughton and Saturday I''d take Saturdays football, however that''s a choice we shouldn''t have to make.

I hope we can shore the back up, thought Naismith & Mbokani had a great understanding and Howson had a good game in general, but the best thing was the atmosphere at Carrow Road, it was immense, we went through every emotion possible, Klose got his wish and heard the fans Saturday!

Certainly not about results for me.

I said early on in the first half - "forget the result this is what football is all about"

I would much rather play like yesterday than the defensive approach, if that means relegation so be it, but I don''t think that would be the case.

I reckon if we were to continue playing attacking football like yesterday we will win more than we lose. Who knows?

I guess that those who pay and put themselves out to watch week in and week out will think their opinion is more important than those who don''t.

That''s why we are very likely to go down and teams like Swansea and WBA who can win games 1-0 will likely stay up.

I''d rather win 1-0 and stay up.

[quote user="ricardo"]That''s why we are very likely to go down and teams like Swansea and WBA who can win games 1-0 will likely stay up.

I''d rather win 1-0 and stay up.[/quote]^^^This.I don''t think I could take watching games like that every week!

[quote user="The gut"]

I reckon if we were to continue playing attacking football like yesterday we will win more than we lose. Who knows? .[/quote]I know, and there is no way on earth that we will more than we lose in this league.

We can win games 1-0 too, but it''s much more fun winning 3-1, losing 5-4 than losing games like we did under Hughton with no shots on target!

Is there no middle ground? Just because you want to play attacking football doesn''t mean when it comes to defending the 11 players get to scratch their backsides.

Winning 1- 0 and staying up, interesting concept.

I''m not sure you can pick the results. In fact not possible, if so let''s choose winning 1 - 0 each week and win the league.

You can however choose the style of play.

ricardo wrote the following post at 24/01/2016 8:21 PM:

That''s why we are very likely to go down and teams like Swansea and WBA who can win games 1-0 will likely stay up.

I''m sure everyone would buy that''s missing the point of the op. The op has given a choice of 2 scenarios it seems. Lose under Hughton being bored to tears or lose like yesterday. Bizarre post really

^^^^^ Win, that is.We are 25th in the all time Premier League table which inevitably means we have won fewer games than we have lost and this is not going to change anytime soon.. 97 wins and 198 losses. Think about it. It ought to tell you something.

[quote user="JF"]ricardo wrote the following post at 24/01/2016 8:21 PM:

I''m sure everyone would buy that''s missing the point of the op. The op has given a choice of 2 scenarios it seems. Lose under Hughton being bored to tears or lose like yesterday. Bizarre post really[/quote]Each to their own but I''m sorry I''ve never gotten any pleasure from losing.A loss is a loss, it matters not whether it is 0-1 or 4-5 nor whether it was exciting or not.Personally I would rather have witnessed a poor game and a scrambled 1-0 victory than have put up with yesterdays debacle

It would be arrogant for anyone to suggest they know the outcome of football results.

Two examples that no one can really predict what would happen and should be enough for belief that almost anything could is:-

Our 92/93 season we won more than we lost.

For something more up to date take a look at Leicester.

[quote user="Darth Bor"]The strikers did do their job under Houghton, they ran around looking for the ball which was pinging around our penalty area due to us being far too deep and far too negative. Then Snodgrass tried to create something and people booed him for it.

But let''s not let LDC get his way and make this thread about Houghton
who has now been found out at Brighton and again has no Plan b.

If we show the same attacking verve and tighten up the centre, we will be fine.[/quote]Do you ever listen to yourelf?   The op and several others afterwards mentioned Hughton before I did. The point was that if you play a constrained type of football - like Hughton, like Van Gaal, you are tolerated as long as your way of playing gets you results, be it 1-0''s or whatever, but if your form drops - the fans soon lose patience.  But then the same was true with attacking style of Adams, he was fine until results dropped off......so the conclusion has to be that results are what ultimately matters to fans.  

That''s not right, Adams still had the fans behind him when the board made their choice. Unlike Hughton who only had one person on here backing him on here, when the rest at FCR were wanting a change.

Well we can all want great attacking football with results and that should not be achievable. If we get relegated it''s because we weren''t good enough simple as regardless of style.

[quote user="The gut"]

Our 92/93 season we won more than we lost.

For something more up to date take a look at Leicester.[/quote]Look at all our other seasonsand we still ended up with a negative goal difference.We have our place in the football pyramid, sometimes we do a bit better and sometimes worse. Reality is a hard road and the reality is that without the benefit of a loose pocketed billionaire this club will always struggle amongst the elite.Wishing things were different won''t make it so and that is why I take a hard headed approach to survival in this league. Look at West Brom and Stoke, then look at Blackpool. What would you prefer?I long ago accepted that situation and glory in our victories while suffering in our defeats even though I know there will be more of the latter than the former..

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="JF"]ricardo wrote the following post at 24/01/2016 8:21 PM:

I''m sure everyone would buy that''s missing the point of the op. The op has given a choice of 2 scenarios it seems. Lose under Hughton being bored to tears or lose like yesterday. Bizarre post really[/quote]Each to their own but I''m sorry I''ve never gotten any pleasure from losing.A loss is a loss, it matters not whether it is 0-1 or 4-5 nor whether it was exciting or not.Personally I would rather have witnessed a poor game and a scrambled 1-0 victory than have put up with yesterdays debacle[/quote]

Ricardo you seem intent on choosing the style of play and the result - not possible.

I get the disappointment of losing but I beg to differ, for me a loss is not a loss. Perhaps it would be if I were not there, it would make more sense to me. If I am going to the game I would rather watch attacking football and risk defeat than watch defensive football and well ....risk defeat.

It wasn''t a debacle yesterday until the 95th minute.... I certainly enjoyed the game until then.

[quote user="Indy"]That''s not right, Adams still had the fans behind him when the board made their choice. Unlike Hughton who only had one person on here backing him on here, when the rest at FCR were wanting a change.

Well we can all want great attacking football with results and that should not be achievable. If we get relegated it''s because we weren''t good enough simple as regardless of style.[/quote]  Really?   My impression was that Adams was not really getting anywhere and most people could see a change was necessary.  Oh, and there were several people on here backing Hughton for quite some time.  In the end, although things were bad, my opinion was that to change near the end of the season was not a good thing.  Your point about attacking football and results being achievable......aren''t Bnmth playing like that...and spent millions to try and get results, yet they are still only one place above us. It''s not that easy.  

I''d rather watch Bournemouth than Norwich under Hughton! And why should''t it be achievable, did anyone think Leicester had a much better squad than us at the start of the season? Do they try and bore a 1-0 win?

Adams had an average start after the summer let''s not get involved in the 5 premiership games, but he had a very good Decemder which put us in position for a challenge on promotion, I was the board not the fans who made that choice, for me Adams should never have been made manager that summer....but he did OK.

Your choice of doom and gloom over hope is your choice Ricardo.

If you want to base future on past then football is a strange subject to choose.

Stranger things have happened and if you looked at the 11/12 & 12/13 seasons it would have only taken a swing of 2 and 3 results respectively, from defeat to victory have more positive than negative results.

In fact the all time ratio you quoted would not have totally been unrealistic to overturn

I liked it when we attacked brilliantly to go 2-0 up against Middlesbrough, then didn''t give them a sniff in a great second half defensive display. More of that please.