Sign in to follow this  
djc

Ivo Pinto

Not highly regarded on bbc.sport text commentary of the match tonight!!

Yeah he isn''t getting much help but he''s always leaving far too much space outside of him, meaning crosses are getting in far too easily.

Will take him time to settle in. I can''t imagine it''s easy being thrown in the deep end of a relegation battle in another country.

Needs time like Klose does. Both looked like we had both Martin and Whittaker playing again. scary times.

Hopefully they''ll be playing regularly so they''ll get up to speed.

Just said on another thread that having watched him in two games now i fail to see what he brings to the party that Whittaker does not.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Needs time like Klose does. Both looked like we had both Martin and Whittaker playing again. scary times.

Hopefully they''ll be playing regularly so they''ll get up to speed.[/quote]

I sit in the Barclay so I can not comment on first half but in the second half Klose looked really good. In his interview he says he will improve and it took him 20 minutes to get to the style of play.

Pinto has a lot to learn but ultimately will be fine i think. Liverpool and Tottenham for your first two Premier games..welcome to England Ivo. A few games in the Prem will do him no harm and set him up for the long season in the Champs ;D

RVW mark II, what the hell is our recruitment network doing, basic defending skills non existent. Any decent Championship right back would have been a safer option than this clown, Steven Whittaker, Russell Martin Even Wisdom are far better defenders than Panto. What a joke

Klosse looked like he is going to be a good buy, the jury remains out on Pinto, its going to take him longer to adjust but no reason to believe that he''s not good enough, it''s more a question of do we have the time to find out.

But in fairness to bring him into a new side, new league, against a team like Spurs and provide little cover out wide in front of him is a big ask, especially when he is clearly a FB who likes to get forward. I presume the hope was that Tettey and Mulumbo together would keep us solid but sadly a false hope.

Rory Smith in The Times today describes Pinto has having "roughly the same positional sense as a lasagne".

I suppose at least he has several layers to his game.

Drop him.

We haven''t got time to let him adjust, if indeed he can.

Who bought him to the Club then? Bizarre signing. A full-back with no positional sense. I ask you! It''s the Pl we are talking about here.

Shocker.

I''ve seen him first-hand in two games and my thoughts are much the same as Tilly!

Pinto seems something of a liability, Whittaker represents a much safer bet at RB, as does Russell Martin.

Perhaps Pinto could play as a wing-back - mind you, we already had a decent one of those in Elliot Bennett...

I really don''t understand why Wisdom has been tossed aside having proven himself to be our only vaguely competent right back when he has been given a game this season.

Ok iffy start at Southampton and for the first half an hour at home to Bournemouth but once he settled down he looked very solid. Even though he offers less going forward I would rather have him playing there than any of the other three who are all defensively inept.

Pinto''s positioning was awful, but he wasn''t alone. And Rose is a master of waiting patiently and unnoticed way out on the touchline as soon as his midfield get the ball, so when released he is nearly always in space and able to get a leisurely cross in. We should try it sometime.

But unless Pinto (and the rest) are ignoring AN''s orders, this sort of organisational stuff is a management issue.

The problem in the first half was that Kane was drifting out to their left and Pinto was getting sucked into marking him thus getting dragged inside. meanwhile Klose and Bassong were marking nobody and Ali (i think) was standing out on the left touchline unmarked and available to receive the ball under no pressure for the entire half.

We don''t have time to wait for him to get up to speed - even assuming that he has the ability to do that. He was truly awful against Spurs, much worse than his Liverpool performance.

I don''t buy that he didn''t get any cover or support. Howson spent half the game tracking back as Pinto was constantly out of position. The worst part of his game is not being able to press the winger to stop crosses coming in or at least make it difficult. Lost count of the number of times he just stood 5 yards off the winger and simply allowed him to pick a cross.

We need Martin back at full-back imo as that is the only position he does an ok in.

"Looks like we are going to write him off after two games then."

Not really. Perhaps he will develop with time at the Club. But it''s too risky putting him in the starting line-up at the moment given our perilous position in the league and his clear short-comings. Every point matters.

We need a more stable player with more experience of what is to be expected and we have a selection of three.

Would you select him for Villa Mr. J?

Of course he is rubbish, anyone we play at RB is rubbish, why on earth we would make allowances for anew player in a new league ? just ask Wisdom, Whittaker and Martin,,,, Jesus where do we keep finding these rubbish players, maybe there just isn''t any right backs around any more?.

BroadstairsR wrote the following post at 03/02/2016 10:56 AM:

"Looks like we are going to write him off after two games then."

Not really. Perhaps he will develop with time at the Club. But it''s too risky putting him in the starting line-up at the moment given our perilous position in the league and his clear short-comings. Every point matters.

We need a more stable player with more experience of what is to be expected and we have a selection of three.

Would you select him for Villa Mr. J?

Do you think he is worse than the three alternatives Broadstairs?

If you can assess this after two games, one against potential Champions the you are a damn good judge my man.

Yes I would play him against Villa, but there is no doubt that he will be exposed at some point in the game, as our other right backs have been, if we continue to defend poorly as a team.

Ok I may be going against the general consensus but here goes.

I watched last night for two things strength in position and going forwards.

Pinto looked terrible as an out and out defender, I think we''ve still got an issue at RB and wonder if confidence will help him, especially if we can get strength next to him and help from mids.

Going forward I will give him credit, the biggest bug bear of watching Norwich is the lack of movement off the ball, it seems as though they stand waiting for the ball to come to them rather than trying to get into more promising positions.

Quite a few times I noticed Pinto getting into great areas on the wing ready for a pass, which many times didn''t come. I liked his attitude at getting forward and think many could learn from it.

Unfortunately that does hinder his effectiveness at RB so not 100% sure of the answer.

I''d like to see Pinto, Bennett, Klose and Olsson as the back for for villa, i can''t understand the dropping of Bennett who for me has been our strongest looking cb so far.

In front of Pinto I''d like to see someone like VOO who was slowly getting better at covering at RB, I''d love to see Redmond and Pinto team up and teach each other a few things, a good working pair on the Right hand side would be beneficial.

Unfortunately at the current point i think both Redmond and Pinto are both interested in getting forward and Redmond is too weak in tackling to cover when Pinto goes forward.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard "]I''ve seen him first-hand in two games and my thoughts are much the same as Tilly!

Pinto seems something of a liability, Whittaker represents a much safer bet at RB, as does Russell Martin.

Perhaps Pinto could play as a wing-back - mind you, we already had a decent one of those in Elliot Bennett...[/quote]

Thats a great point Norfolk Mustard, In Elliott Bennett we had everything needed to make an outstanding RWB, worrying thing is that people being paid very well couldn''t see his potential & thought i best to waste 2-3mill? on coco the clown, Staying up just got a whole lot more difficult!!!!