Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Is the Club too strict for it's own good

At the start of the season we had the Johnson/Grabban incident. Johnson was shipped out literally overnight whilst Grabban, who was obviously no longer wanted, was rarely called upon to help the cause. Then Ruddy gets dropped just around the same time as the alleged incident in the City centre. Not that he didn''t deserve to be dropped on form but the incident may have made the decision easier and quicker - was it coincidence or convenient?Despite the neverending poor form of our strikers, Lafferty has never been called uopn so you begin to wonder if that is because of a non football issue. Now we have rumours about Bennett & he suddenly dissapears off the scene and based on his recent form I would be surprised if it was for footballing reasons.Not that I''m against discipline & sticking to the Club rules but sometimes you can shoot yourself in the foot by being too strict.

An interesting hypothetical situation & I guess it could be possible for a club to shoot itself in the foot by ostracising it''s players in this way. Have Norwich done this? Well in the absence of any evidence whatsoever to to suggest so I''m going to have to reluctantly say no.

Your evidence for what you say is ? Would hardly say Lafferty has had a lack of appearances for his one league goal.

Did not see any PL clubs despearate to sign him Ruddy or Bennett ?

If that scenario was correct, I would hope Norwich maintain a tough line, if fact they should all have had a good kick up the bum for that first half performance against Spurs ! 

Was just going to post something similar Til! I''m sure I heard something about him being dropped for some reason - seemed a strange tactical decision to suddenly drop him

I have no evidence of anything & didn''t claim to have any.And where did I say that I thought that Johnson, Grabban and Lafferty are better Jarvis, Brady, Mbokani and Jerome?However, I do think that Bennett is a better CB than Martin or BassongI was simply putting this forward as a possibility as it seems odd to me that as soon as there''s the slightest hint of trouble, players are either shipped out, not picked or dropped.

isnt the truth about johnson a little less sensational than that; the club were well stocked with midfielders that the manager felt offered him so much more for the prem (confirmed in his appearances at the start of the season) so we offered him for sale and derby paid us handsomely.

Yes strict - on ensuring that excess baggage players are sold.

I don''t understand why people love a conspiracy theory so much. My reading of the situation is :

- Brady is a far superior player to Johnson on that left wing. Johnson had effectively been reduced to a squad player at best. If Norwich City get offered £6 million for a squad player then we''d be mad to turn it down. Johnson will never command anywhere near that transfer again in his career. His performances at Derby already proving this to be the case.

- Lafferty isn''t playing because he isn''t particularly good. I predicate that opinion on the lack of Championship clubs queuing at the door to buy him (I doubt we''d have priced him out of a permanent move). He was loaned out to Turkey last season for similar reasons last season - i.e. he wasn''t deemed to be as good as Hooper, Grabban or Jerome.

- Ruddy was dropped because he wasn''t playing well and his performance against Arsenal rendered him virtually unselectable - he was a nervous wreck by the end. He was dropped long BEFORE the incident in Tombland which happened in the aftermath of the Everton game (the one where Rudd played and got man of the match).

- Grabban was actually well liked by Alex Neil and started every game at the beginning of his tenure as manager. The only reason he fell out of favour was because we couldn''t physically select him because he got himself suspended at Rotherham for starting a boxing match.

Despite that, Neil selected him ahead of Jerome on the opening day again Palace but Grabban contrived to miss from about 12 inches. Chuck in his antics at Rotherham (what is about him and Rotherham?) into the melting pot and Neil is within his rights not to select a profligate striker who has let him down massively on 2 separate occasions (even then he played him against Arsenal and Watford).

Are we then honestly meant to turn down one of the biggest transfer fees received in the club''s history for a player with all that baggage and 18 months left on his contract?

All of the above situations haven''t got anything to with strictness or Neil being a raving disciplinary. They''re just examples of sound logical management based on common sense.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]isnt the truth about johnson a little less sensational than that; the club were well stocked with midfielders that the manager felt offered him so much more for the prem (confirmed in his appearances at the start of the season) so we offered him for sale and derby paid us handsomely.

Yes strict - on ensuring that excess baggage players are sold.[/quote]

Possibly but who wants the less sensational version? Actually, though, I think the is something in this. If I understood the rumour correctly Delia sacked Bowkett because she found out he had a fifth cousin seven times removed (whom he had never met) who wasn''t a Norwich City fan and - worse - supported a rival club.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Have i missed something about Bennett and a rumour ? [:^)][/quote]Supposedly, (taps nose conspiratorially) him and Russ had a falling out. Or some bollox someone wrote t''other night.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="TIL 1010"]Have i missed something about Bennett and a rumour ? [:^)][/quote]Supposedly, (taps nose conspiratorially) him and Russ had a falling out. Or some bollox someone wrote t''other night.[/quote]

must have made up then as they were having a good laugh together on the sidelines Tuesday.

One off these days the club or somebody will sue somebody for making up tosh