Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Green Army

How does Neil turn this around

I have been thinking about this for a couple of days now.

What would you do if you were in Alex Neils shoes to try and transform the teams fortunes?

He has regularly tried different personnel, made new signings and tinkered with the formation.

There in lies his problem. We are over halfway through the season and he still does not know his best 11 or preferred formation.

Me personally, I would resort back to what got us in the premier league in the first place. High pressing counter attacking football. I would also restore Jerome, Hoolahan and Redmond to the starting line up. Very unlucky on Mbokani as he has done nothing wrong but a change is needed.

Trying to fit Brady, Howson, Tettey, Naismith, Hoolahan and Redmond in the team is near impossible but we need to find a way to accommodate our most influential and creative players.

Any thoughts?

We just have to hope that he hits upon a team (combination) that works, is effective and picks up a few points.

He''s probably got the best squad ever in our Club''s history.If he is unable to fashion them into an effective unit then he is not the man for the job in hand.

I would still wish him here if the worst should happen as there is a lot I like about him, apart from the tinkering, with our array of youngsters filling some of the gaps made by the inevitable (but costly) departures.

We are now also heavily reliant upon our rivals (Swansea, Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa) continuing to have as bad a time of it as we have had recently.

I think the OP is right. Go back to what got us promoted. High pressing football. One of my concerns the other night was how much fitter Spurs looked. They can have better quality players than us - fine. Why are they fitter though? Shouldn''t happen. So perhaps fitness is something that needs to be looked into.

Injuries aside, I would settle on a regular 11. Certainly a regular back four. It doesn''t help that they''re often changed around so much. Martin, Klose, Bennett and Brady should be our back four.

I would also bring Redmond into the side, he can hurt teams if given the free reign to do so. We need more from him! He should be kissing defenders.

I''d also look to put Naismith through the middle with Wes just behind. A few Everton fans have said Naismith''s best position is through the middle. Try it. Then we have Mbokani and Bamford in reserve. Jerome has been terrible lately and shouldn''t even be in the squad when all our strikers are fit and available.

Haha, I meant *killing defenders.

Also, I think tackling the league in August with (largely) a bunch of players who got us relegated was our first mistake.

agree with rD-s7 plus stick with Rudd, still feel more confident with him between the sticks and one we must keep for the future.Alex Neil must also settle on a regular starting 11 unless injured or a dip in form.

I agree RDS7 with the fitness side of things. This current team are not the fittest we have seen and the stats do not lie regarding this.

This is all the more surprising when you consider Gary Holt (three lungs) is part of the first team setup.

One of the standout features of Paul Lambert''s time here was how fit his teams were. That successful first season back in the prem under him was partly down to the work rate of the team and there never say die attitude fighting right to the final whistle..

Getting a settled back 5.

Finding away to get Tettey, Howson, Brady, Hoolahan, Naismith, M''Bokani/Bamford in the side and ticking.

I agree high pressing football that got us up AN has tried to be smart in some games and it has not worked

stick to what you know and do best

I hate to say it Bournemouth and Watford have done exactly the same as last year system wise players no what to do etc

He has to stop mind-wandering lack of concentration in the defence, and he has to drill them until they take on board what is needed. Perhaps they need a good sports scientist, or psychologist.

They have to be quick into the tackle and block, and not hang back. Surely they have realised that this is the way of the better teams, as well as their brilliant attacks.

We can pass the ball well - second goal at Wembley, and we have pace. Add to this some confidence, from a win or two, or even the U18 win, and we could become potent.

He''s not going to quit any time soon would you pass up 2 years salary. Neil here to stay if sacked need to pay for AN and anyone sacked with him compo, then get experienced manager to bring his backup team costing in the region of £10m. We have just spent £17m or thereabouts which McNally said at AGM we couldn''t afford. Debt free no longer.

If sacked who could we realistically get the team out of this mess Neil Adams perhaps.

Not that he''d want any advice from me but it would be

Have a settled back line with Ryan B partnering Klose

Play Olssen at LB and Brady on LW

Play 2 upfront with Wes behind them and then

attack, attack, attack lol

Ryan B and Klose I agree plus the Brady/Olson combo. Russ at right back. Tettey or O''Neil as DM cover. But most of all just stop tinkering. Give the guys a chance to build some understanding and fluidity. Stick with the same line up for 10 games and don''t repeat Hughton''s habit of worrying more about the opposition than getting us right.

I think it''s a massive shame we self imploded twice against Liverpool. If we had won that 3-1 or even 3-2 I think we''d have taken a lot of positives from Naismith and gone on from strength to strength.

Instead there''s a clear lack of confidence and with 2 newbies in the back 4 I agree AN needs to quit tinkering for now to let them settle and build an understanding.

Goals are the answer, they breed confidence, and I''d hope to see more of Wes and Naismith together which can hopefully bring a few more performances like Liverpool up to when we went 3-1 up!

We need to go back to how we were playing pre-Newcastle away but hopefully with a better defence not including Whitaker, Martin and Ruddy. this means a high tempo, positive, pressing game. We may lose a few but we can win games playing that way and at this stage of the season getting enough wins is all that is important. draws not much use.

Then he needs to decide on his best team and stick to it barring injuries and suspensions.

Wes needs to play unless injured.

No more Howson on the right of a four man midfield where is is wasted.

Can''t afford to keep risking Pinto as we don;t have time for him to get used to the pace of the game this season.

Personally i would go with:

Rudd

Wisdom Bennett Klose Olsson

Howson Tettey Brady

Naismith Mbokani Hoolahan

In reality though both Wes anfd Naismith would drop deep to pick up the ball as they did to such good effect against Liverpool.

For Villa and West Ham obviously O''Neil or Mulumbu will have to play instead of Tettey.