Sign in to follow this  
Van wink

Ownership

"It''s weird that football fans feel they have ownership over a club when somebody else is paying all the bills"

So says the CEO at Charlton.

Supporters and fans are just customers, interesting discussion on radio 5.

[quote user="Vanwink"]"It''s weird that football fans feel they have ownership over a club when somebody else is paying all the bills"

So says the CEO at Charlton.

Supporters and fans are just customers, interesting discussion on radio 5.[/quote]Technically we are nothing more than customers, albeit loyal ones.Pretty crass thing to say though.

If people who are in charge think of fans as "customers" then they have no business anywhere near running a football club.  The club is nothing without it''s fans - nothing.  Fans generally don''t choose to follow their football team - often it is in their DNA - and football clubs have an obligation to treat them accordingly.  People buy in to their club on an emotional level and while clubs have to make money and run their business well,  calling fans "customers", technically or otherwise, is an insult. 

The CEO at Charlton is getting into Mike Ashley '''' look how much profit we make from selling Jerseys to you mugs'''' territory.

Most supporters and fans are well aware they are powerless regarding control of their club ( except shareholders of course).....just don''t rub their noses in it please.

There''s no way our club treat the supporters just as customers. I think this is more about how some supporters see themselves. The supporters are very much an important part of our football club. In my view the most important part.

[quote user="lake district canary"]If people who are in charge think of fans as "customers" then they have no business anywhere near running a football club.  The club is nothing without it''s fans - nothing.  Fans generally don''t choose to follow their football team - often it is in their DNA - and football clubs have an obligation to treat them accordingly.  People buy in to their club on an emotional level and while clubs have to make money and run their business well,  calling fans "customers", technically or otherwise, is an insult. 

[/quote]Are you going tomorrow?

[quote user="lake district canary"]If people who are in charge think of fans as "customers" then they have no business anywhere near running a football club.  The club is nothing without it''s fans - nothing.  Fans generally don''t choose to follow their football team - often it is in their DNA - and football clubs have an obligation to treat them accordingly.  People buy in to their club on an emotional level and while clubs have to make money and run their business well,  calling fans "customers", technically or otherwise, is an insult. 

[/quote]Sorry to rain on your parade Lakey but you are referenced by your customer number online or visit the ticket office.

lake district canary wrote the following post at 05/02/2016 10:30 AM:

If people who are in charge think of fans as "customers" then they have no business anywhere near running a football club. The club is nothing without it''s fans - nothing. Fans generally don''t choose to follow their football team - often it is in their DNA - and football clubs have an obligation to treat them accordingly. People buy in to their club on an emotional level and while clubs have to make money and run their business well, calling fans "customers", technically or otherwise, is an insult.

Do club owners actually want that emotional buy in though, where fans have a level of expectancy way above what a customer would have.

If they charge silly prices for tickets and people pay then that''s all they need worry about.

The emotional buy in between players and clubs has gone, it''s just a job as Wenger said the other day.

The emotional buy in between fans and club and club and fans will follow in the same way, at some clubs at least.

Vanwink - Yes, owners do want that emotional buy in, at all but the biggest clubs without that emotional buy in the customers wouldn''t be willing to pay the inflated prices for either tickets or merchandise. Think about it logically and as a customer would you pay £40 for 90 minutes of not very good entertainment? Or going down the leagues, £20 for 90 minutes of League 2 football?

I would also disagree in part with the emotional buy in not being present between clubs and players, in some cases, yes, in others it''s a definite no, take Holt or Huckerby for example.

Premiership clubs could survive on TV money and sponsor deals alone.

Ticket prices are £70 at some grounds as clubs dont care..

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="lake district canary"]If people who are in charge think of fans as "customers" then they have no business anywhere near running a football club.  The club is nothing without it''s fans - nothing.  Fans generally don''t choose to follow their football team - often it is in their DNA - and football clubs have an obligation to treat them accordingly.  People buy in to their club on an emotional level and while clubs have to make money and run their business well,  calling fans "customers", technically or otherwise, is an insult. 

[/quote]Sorry to rain on your parade Lakey but you are referenced by your customer number online or visit the ticket office.[/quote]My season ticket has printed on it plain as day......customer no.110***3.

Being a shareholder I am legally a part owner of the club.Not sure what part that is though.Maybe one of the door hinges or a bulb in the floodlights.

Any owners of a lower premiership club would no doubt like it if all fans considered themselves customers.

As fans we demand a certain level of performance and if not delivered most sets of fans can make it very uncomfortable for and owners and boards.

As above the vast majority of money comes in by way of tv & sponsors, we the crowd are just an irritation at times when things don''t go too well.

Well I don''t feel like just a customer. We''re definitely more than that and are treated so by the club. But if its a say in how things are run that you want, well that will cost....

Well Nutty I wish they would ditch the soggy Pukka crap and go back to half decent sausage rolls and pies.

You might think your not a customer but you are, you''re just that number on the season ticket, they couldn''t care who you are as long as the product sells and you keep coming back each season.

I''m not convinced that our board have got the additional 11,000 customers into Carrow road or Sky & Premiership marketing, huge amounts of money thrown at it and the chance to see the world star of the game.......

It wasn''t 15 years ago we hardly got 16,000 each home game.

But one thing is true we could do a lot worse than our owners and board, Balls is actually a very nice bloke and has our club best interest at heart.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="lake district canary"]If people who are in charge think of fans as "customers" then they have no business anywhere near running a football club.  The club is nothing without it''s fans - nothing.  Fans generally don''t choose to follow their football team - often it is in their DNA - and football clubs have an obligation to treat them accordingly.  People buy in to their club on an emotional level and while clubs have to make money and run their business well,  calling fans "customers", technically or otherwise, is an insult. 

[/quote]Sorry to rain on your parade Lakey but you are referenced by your customer number online or visit the ticket office.[/quote]

True, but are we fans first or customers first?   Most of us would say we were fans first. My complaint would be with anyone in the club who regards us as being customers first........oh I forgot, until I attend a game again, I''m neither.... [:''(]

No Indy. You see yourself as just a customer which to be fair is probably what you want to be. I see myself as a supporter. The club recognise that and as you know freely offer their facilities players and management for events that myself and other supporters can enjoy. But not just that but in other ways the club are welcoming to supporters for various community events. Or do you view all that as part of being a customer?

That''s all marketing Nutty, or club is not alone in offering this as you know.

Players generally like interacting with the supporters, heck I''ve Ben to loads of events organised by the club, from dinner evenings, black tie nights and horse racing nights.....

But hey if you feel and think your viewed special fan by the club lucky you. If you weren''t there the next person would be and the club wouldn''t care who that was, but hey good for you.

[quote user="Indy"]That''s all marketing Nutty, or club is not alone in offering this as you know.

Players generally like interacting with the supporters, heck I''ve Ben to loads of events organised by the club, from dinner evenings, black tie nights and horse racing nights.....

But hey if you feel and think your viewed special fan by the club lucky you. If you weren''t there the next person would be and the club wouldn''t care who that was, but hey good for you.[/quote]

No I don''t. I feel like I''m a supporter and not a customer. I feel that more so now than at anytime in the last 50 years. And if you think that other clubs put the manager and coaching staff in front of supporters to be questioned then please tell me which clubs also do that.

The fact that so many do consider themselves customers rather than supporters would explain a lot of the moaning and groaning about every little thing during periods of bad football results. It''s amazing how there''s more supporters than customers during periods of good football results. But then I''m not sure if you can be a fairweather customer...

My misses goes to every game, is she more likely to get some improvements in the ladies bog at CR if she is a customer or a supporter.

The ladies bogs are a disgrace when you consider what people pay for a season ticket, so I am reliably informed!

I think that''s an interesting point Nutty.
I found the level of anger after the Liverpool game surprising, disappointment would have been understandable but why anger?
Presumably it''s because folk had invested hard-earned cash into tickets, season tickets etc and felt they hadn''t got their money''s worth.  That is much more akin to a customer than a supporter.

No Wooster, a customer would have been relatively happy with 90 minutes of entertainment with 9 goals, a supporter would have been devastated by the way their beloved team threw away a 3-1 lead and hence an inevitable outburst of dissapointment manifesting itself as anger.

Anger and highly emotional responses come when you really care surely?

As Tilly says we are all addressed by our customer numbers, thats how we are identified, no problem in that, it has to be the same in any business, its all about delivering a customer experience,.

IMO our club does that,and some, if they didn''t we would see lots of empty seats (anyone see Brighton tonight ? more empty seats than fans).

Passionate people will generally get angry Nigel.

There''s nothing wrong with getting angry, as long as it''s controlled.