Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Too much tinkering

Every game a different XI means that no side has settled and no partnerships and understandings between players have formed. It is like an experiment every week and now that the confidence is shot leaves us pathetically out of shape.

A very poor day. But for me it is now time for the board to act. A new manager might just lift morale enough to get us over the line...

If AN stays we look doomed. 6 on the trot and a loss to the bottom side is beyond questionable. It is P45 form...

Four team changes (36%), two of our new signings starting out of five bought! Two new signings dropped! Clueless springs to mind!

Yet if he''d kept the same 11 and we''d lost 2-0 people would say he should have made changes!

He''s damned either way. The only cure is to win games, and its hard to see where the next one of those is going to come from.

[quote user="Gordon Bennett"]Yet if he''d kept the same 11 and we''d lost 2-0 people would say he should have made changes!

He''s damned either way. The only cure is to win games, and its hard to see where the next one of those is going to come from.[/quote]

Gordon, to an extent I agree but, we have changed our team soooooo many times it gives the impression of a Manager who has no idea what his best team is. The team cannot developed an understanding of each other if every week it changes. Sorry IMO AN needs to go.

Lambert used to change the team pretty much every week in the Prem, rather than not knowing what his best team is he saw it as squad game and picked his team according to what he thought best suited the opposition. I''m sure if we asked AN he''d say the same.

The bottom line is that we are in a big rut with no confidence and unfortunately the Premiership is a very unforgiving environment in that situation. I think he can still get us out of this mess but equally if he got sacked tomorrow he would have little room for complaint. One win could spark a good run but its really difficult to see where that is coming from right now.

Neill has often stated that he and the coaching staff spend hours studying the forthcoming opposition on DVD,s etc. So selects teams based on their strengths and weaknesses. This is poor negative management and leads to constant tinkering which will get us nowhere. Prior to todays game we had reached the stage whereby Klose and Brady (new expensive signings) were basically the only certainties to start. The same situation will arise next week, but Ruddy can be added to the certainties. All these changes mean there is no consistent approach and strategy and the team is devoid of confidence and teamwork. It also does not help to ask players to continually play out of position. Several players have individually played poorly and in that scenario I think our inexperienced manager has to take a proportion of the blame. Yes, he finished last season on a high, but you could easily argue that he took over a well organised team who just needed to be kicked up the backside. We are poised to return to the managerial merry go round.

I''ve been saying for weeks that he''s picking the names out of a Tombola machine. He''s hoping to stumble on a winning formula by trial and error.Miracles do happen as Leicester have proved but it looks more likely that next seasons Midlands trips will be going to Burton Albion and Walsall.

This thread is spot on and I was going to post a similar one. I remember the downfall of Hughton being that he never knew is best 11. It''s worrying because we are now in Feb and we have strength in depth but no settled 11 anywhere on the pitch. Furthermore the team we put out often sees players out of position- Howson, Hoolohan, Brady etc.

We need consistency and quickly but I don''t know how we are going t achieve this, the new signings seem to have given AN more to tinker over

turning up at Villa, a side who were on their knees ,10 points adrift and who''ve won 2 games all season with NO wingers ,NO pace and NO width ,to even give us any sort of chance of hurting them is deplorable.

Morseo that he then didnt change in at half time and waited ''til we went 2-0 before changing it.

by the end ,it was a mess and a complete free-for -all as to who was doing what in which position.

he''s tried all sorts of different combinations and none are working.

My advice to him for the next game (if he''s still here) is to play the BEST player in each position.....at least if we were to get beaten ,playing square pegs in round holes would be one less stick for people to beat him with.......

I have been having the same thoughts, I wonder if we over analyse things, there is a lot to be said for having a settled system and letting the opposition worry about us, rather than the other way around. I have a friend who is a Derby County fan and he has a similar beef with their manager who has a tendency to "tinker" and they are also going through a bad patch.........

Analysis is of no value unless you can use the information wisely.

We might as well forget the analysis and just go out, play our own game and aim to win every match. Let''s start games with some bleedin enthusiasm and energy and move the ball forward at every opertunity.

Sounds a bit as if our coach has been over coached, get back to your roots Alex.