Sign in to follow this  
Duncan Edwards

Villanthropic Side Has To Go - Blog Post

Cheers Bor.

He doesn''t know his best team and neither do I.

I seems to be different players taking it in turn to perform blunders every week.

good article as normal and I agree completely with the conclusion; we can stay up; but after today i am no longer optimistic.

FWIW my view is that, with hindsight, the newcastle result has become a burdensome catalyst. The light shone on the defensive frailties and ever since AN has thrown our his own footballing principles with the aim of tightening up the the back line, driving the team backwards in ever descreasing circles of desperation, in doing so casting even more pressure on the regular errors with an ever lower likelihood of getting a goal needed to redress the balance.

Can we find a model to address the balance? Some stability in the back line is a starting point; getting the players to perform their role in the team, not just for themselves (which is increasingly the case) but for the manager, the fans but as your rightly point out duncan for each other. The difference in commitment and collaborative work rate between leicester and city was stark.

The manager needs to be at his most ruthless; revert to the principles that made him a success, high energy, high press, high trust in a 4141 formation. Trust in his choices and stick with a stable back 4 (being probably his bought defenders bassong and brady) and balls out the rest. The recent team selections are borne of fear driven pragmatism.

The last month have shown 4411 and deep seated defensive midfielders provide no goal threat and no defensive security. If we dont score we wont win. That has to change.