Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Bone - Superstar

The right back position

We have 4 potential players for the right back slot - Martin, Pinto, Wisdom and Whittaker yet still AN doesn''t seem sure who to play in that position.

I believe that this illustrates exactly what''s wrong at present, if he can''t decide on a right back, which is usually a position that is nailed down by one individual, then we have big problems - and why have a choice of 4 players for that position.

For what it''s worth, I think the one that started the season (Whitts) is still the best of the 4 for that position.

To a lesser degree, the same applies to the left back role - Brady or Olsson or even Whitts.

If these simple decisions can''t be made and kept to then what hope of a settled side with confidence and faith in each other?

[quote user="Jimmy Bone - Superstar"]Exactly my point - make your choice and stick with him whoever it is.

This applies to other positions in the team but I''m using the right back role as an example of what appears to be wrong at the moment.[/quote]

And if he sticks with it, and who ever he decides to pick is under performing , how the hell can he keep picking that player. AN cant win , dammed if he does dammed if he doesn''t. My biggest complaint is players playing out of postion

I fail to see what the point in buying Pinto was if he isn''t deemed an upgrade on Martin or Whittaker. Same with Klose at centre back.

They were brought in to be better than what we had, so play them. I''d also leave Bassong with Klose until the end of the season. Bassong is better than the others (Klose excepted as I''m yet to see enough of him) and that has been evidenced by every time we''ve tried to play a combination without him. He always ends up back and we look better for it. At left back it has to be Olsson. That''s disappointing because he''s been EVERY bit as culpable as any other defender but if we''re going to have a real crack at staying up we need Brady further forward as Jarvis has been pony since the injury.

The defence will continue to look out weak link because of the system we play, but given our inability to find a plan B that works, we might as well pursue it wholeheartedly. That means playing our best attacking players. Brady, Naismith and Redmond supporting Mbokani with Tettey and probably O''Neil playing centrally. That Mulumbu has been so disappointing and that a presumed bit part player in O''Neil is now a starter tells us plenty about out predicament. Mulumbu has been rank, Dorrans drifts in and out of games and Howson has been played everywhere but his best position. But he''s played everywhere - we don''t know his best position.

Wes, Bamford, Jerome as possibilities from the bench and I''d also get Ruddy back between the sticks ASAP.

So, erm, yeah. Pinto at RB. Sorry for the drift onto the rest of the team, but that''s what I''d do.

FWIW, I think Howson will still end up playing and we''ll probably shoehorn Wes in somewhere that means sacrificing Brady - either in so much that he drops to LB to accommodate him or all the way to the bench.

It''s all a worry.

We''ll b back wrote the following post at 2016-02-07 1:28 AM:

Whoever plays at right back will struggle to have total confidence in themselves as all 4 are made constant scape goats.

Yes, they are, particularly by the manager. All four have been dropped following a poor result, (even Martin). It''s hardly surprising none of them appear to play for him!

Pinto, dropped after just two games, must be really happy!!

Not the sign of a good manager at all!

What I don''t really get is playing Pinto against Liverpool and Spurs. Two good sides with quality forwards.

Surely those are the games when you would want someone more defensively minded like Martin*?

Then you play against one of the more blunt attacks in the league and you drop your "attacking" type fullback for the more defensive one.

*Though he is not exactly without his weaknesses defensively.

My thoughts exactly, I would have thought he would have been played today for this reason.

Also think to bring in 2 new defenders who have no premier league experience, have had no time to settle and expect them to fix our season is madness. Should have sorted the defence out before the season started, and built from there.

I don''t think the board expected us to get promoted so when we did there were no plans in place for premier league recruitemet.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]I fail to see what the point in buying Pinto was if he isn''t deemed an upgrade on Martin or Whittaker. Same with Klose at centre back.

They were brought in to be better than what we had, so play them. I''d also leave Bassong with Klose until the end of the season. Bassong is better than the others (Klose excepted as I''m yet to see enough of him) and that has been evidenced by every time we''ve tried to play a combination without him. He always ends up back and we look better for it. At left back it has to be Olsson. That''s disappointing because he''s been EVERY bit as culpable as any other defender but if we''re going to have a real crack at staying up we need Brady further forward as Jarvis has been pony since the injury.

The defence will continue to look out weak link because of the system we play, but given our inability to find a plan B that works, we might as well pursue it wholeheartedly. That means playing our best attacking players. Brady, Naismith and Redmond supporting Mbokani with Tettey and probably O''Neil playing centrally. That Mulumbu has been so disappointing and that a presumed bit part player in O''Neil is now a starter tells us plenty about out predicament. Mulumbu has been rank, Dorrans drifts in and out of games and Howson has been played everywhere but his best position. But he''s played everywhere - we don''t know his best position.

Wes, Bamford, Jerome as possibilities from the bench and I''d also get Ruddy back between the sticks ASAP.

So, erm, yeah. Pinto at RB. Sorry for the drift onto the rest of the team, but that''s what I''d do.

FWIW, I think Howson will still end up playing and we''ll probably shoehorn Wes in somewhere that means sacrificing Brady - either in so much that he drops to LB to accommodate him or all the way to the bench.

It''s all a worry.[/quote]

This is exactly as I see it too. We buy players to be better than we have, but so often they don''t work out to be so. So we end up moving them out , selling them, or sticking them on the bench.

The RB position is the classic example. Pinto looked OK for the first half against Liverpool, then got skinned in exactly the same way that three other RB''s have this year. So we drop him. Dorrans , Jarvis , eventually Mulumbu I''m guessing too. Buy them, they don''t improve us, drop them.

We play narrow , restrict Redmond, then drop him for not being creative enough (or not defending)

Wembley seems a long way off tonight. I''m beginning to think we might as well have kept the money in Jan and bought some more floodlights.

Pinto has played 2 PL games he needs a bit more time, weaklink Martin who got turned too easily for 2nd goal has played a 100 is still poor pick your best 11 regularly and stick with it