Sign in to follow this  
Canaries north

Great Expectations

Despite what a lot of fans and pundits were saying at the start of the season I for one and not alone did not believe we had a squad good enough for the division. Yes we were all unhappy we didn''t sign players in the summer so with the squad we have who can you see that other teams would want to buy off us. We have signed players from other mid to lower end premier reserve teams and benches. Is Alex doing a perfect job. No. With the squad he''s got I''m not sure if we can expect a huge amount more. On current form were going down with a wimper but who would look at our squad and think give me that job and I will turn it around.

Young manager having his first run of bad results in his career. Very average squad having a crisis of confidence.

But after all that we are only 1 point off safety. Football is strange.

Exactly. A very average squad, always likely to struggle in PL, led by a chap who, after always coming top of the class, has arrived at university.

A manager learning his trade with a top squad, or a below average squad with an experienced manager may have stood more of a chance, but this combination was always going to struggle for PL survival.

That''s not to say I''m in the "AN must go" camp. I still believe he can be a good manager for this club, and sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for, but maybe we came back up a year too soon from an experience point of view.

err...we now have a squad that is in my opinion capable of surviving this league...if we had a manager who was capable of changing the system, playing players in their rightful strongest positions and dropping the older players of yesteryear who havent the ability, or the legs, to give us fire and energy. Alex is stuck in his mind that one man up front is the only answer, and hes shown hes incapable of changing that. To be honest the one man upfront is a system that is starting to crack  with many other teams, more newer teams like Watford and Leicester are coming thru , proving that other systems can work as good or better.Only 1 point from safety?..get real...start of the year we were quite a few points away from non safety, and we are the only club going oneway...downwards. Swansea, Bournemouth etc , even Newcastle, Villa have all improved compared to us. We need a minimum of 5 wins from 13 games, something we never came close to even when we picked up a few points here and there. After 5 straight losses, we are only headed in one direction. We arent Leicester of last season, weve never looked like a Leicester, we are the NCFC of 2 seasons ago. Yes football is strange, but City are strangely consistent in doing the same routine  to get us relegated once again.

I think my point was with an inexperienced manager trying to learn on the job and a squad that got relegated before boosted by a few west brom reserves do we really expect to cruise to safety. Villa sold all their good players at the start of the season but I think every other team has players that would be in demand if they were relegated. Some of the pundits keep saying Redmond but he''s going backwards. Who would anyone in the premier league want of us that would improve their first team. Again it''s only 1 point. Form is temporary class is permanent but we don''t have either. Let''s wait and see.

From the very start I thought our survival depended on how poor Villa, Watford, Bournemouth and Leicester would be.

Sadly I think only one of them is likely to finish below us.