Sign in to follow this  
Reading Canary

Why exactly did we let Gary Hooper go ?

Gary Hooper has now scored 11 goals in 16 games for Sheffield Wednesday . For a club in our situation with no real out and out goalscorer it is beyond belief that we should have let him go. His goals for Norwich would have given us the very best chance of staying in this league - this is a typical example of how we as a club shoot ourselves in the foot ! Those who say he was given a chance at Norwich I would dispute - the games he played he was played up front as a target man which is not his game. Sheffield have adapted their game style around him and have got a bargain.

It would be nice if for once the powers that be explained to us fans as to why these decisions are made.

Because we only play one up front, and he doesn''t do enough to play just behind the striker?

That finish at Rotherham though - superb!

Reading suggests that we change our " methods " to suit a striker ,,, when the one up front has hardly been prolific ,, it would have been nice to have the option of Hooper off Naismith , maybe AN will start to see the error of continuing with a plan which is not working , and try this with Bamford .

i''ve no problem with him going.......i just wonder whether we should have let him go permenantly or just on loan?......in 3 months time we could ourselves be a championship team and will need strikers to get us back up. Bamford & MBoanki are on loan, can we rely on Jerome again?.....in Hooper we would have had a ready made Championship striker

One up top is supposed to strengthen the midfield to make us harder to beat , it does not work, teams still rip us to shreds only now we dont even look like scoring .As for Mbokani hes worse than poor cannot run , cannot beat a man , no shot on him but he can just about head a ball . Hooper and one other up front would have given us a much better chance of winning games .

Always said he should have been on our bench every single game. Ideal to come on last 20 if you need a goal, always going to be poaching around the box.

Would be very interesting if we do indeed get relegated this season, with lafferty seemingly set to leave we have just jerome and Morris.

Another mistake in a season full of mistakes.. How people can say he wasn''t good enough for the prem is ridiculous. He is a natural goalscorer.. Knows where the net is without even looking. I hope he gets his chance in the Premier League.

Didn''t hear this much grumbling when he was actually sold. Can only guess people are working on a basis of premature hindsight.

Look, in all honesty he was probably our best out and out goalscorer. But we have, rightly or wrongly played one up front all season and he seems to struggle with fitness unless he''s playing week in week out.

Now obviously hes doing well which at the very least is good because it might stop that jaemae troll pretending he knows better than everyone and that Hooper was never more than a League 1 striker.

If we switch to two up front as our way forward this season then you could say getting rid of him is a mistake as I''d have him in a front two most games. However the likelihood of this scenario is pretty much nil.

In just 3 months, when this painful season finally ends, and we are back in the Champs, its going to be a very unsettling summer until the next season begins. Will Alex have survived? if so, he will have huge issues ahead. No longer will he have a board who can  toss him 20 mill  a window for new players. He could be facing a Wednesday side in the Champs with Hooper, even a Leeds side with Lafferty, a Derby side with Bradders...fun fun. But the striker issue may well be  the big problem indeed, whereas last summer was a CB and defence the main issue.We will have a near 30 year old Cam Jam and Morrison. We will not be able to afford to sign Mbok, or Bamford even if we wanted them. Of course our great 1 goal a season Ricky will be coming home, he could well be a decent cheap solution as hes ours already. Or maybe Kyle will  come back from Leeds and we use him. But any which way i look, it looks like the summer ahead will have striker issues more than any other.

Championship & Premiership are slightly different class and AN favours one up top which isn''t working for us.

I''m pretty pleased we got a good fee for Hooper.

We do appear to ruin strikers at this club......there aren''t many who come here and thrive! Holt & Jerome last year are the only two I can recall in recent times. That''s down the manager & staff.

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Gary Hooper HASN''T SCORED 11 GOALS IN 16 GAMES for SW, you hilarious liar. He''s scored 9 in 16. Also as other people have mentioned the Championship ISN''T THE PREMIERSHIP.

[quote user="hogesar"]Didn''t hear this much grumbling when he was actually sold. Can only guess people are working on a basis of premature hindsight.

Look, in all honesty he was probably our best out and out goalscorer. But we have, rightly or wrongly played one up front all season and he seems to struggle with fitness unless he''s playing week in week out.

Now obviously hes doing well which at the very least is good because it might stop that jaemae troll pretending he knows better than everyone and that Hooper was never more than a League 1 striker.

If we switch to two up front as our way forward this season then you could say getting rid of him is a mistake as I''d have him in a front two most games. However the likelihood of this scenario is pretty much nil.[/quote]

You know who are also just amazing ''natural goalscorers" the likes of Tomer Hemed and Chris Wood. WHY CAN''T WE BUY QUALITY LIKE TOMER HEMED AND CHRIS WOOD!!!!???????????

Wednesday didn''t change their style to suit Hooper. They bought Hooper because he fitted the way they favour playing. He was a poor buy for us as we never played a system that suited him in his entire time with us. He needs a partner to do his work for him and lower half prem teams can''t afford to carry him in a way a top half champ team can