Sign in to follow this  
Feel The Force

Confidence and playing for the manager

We''ve been here before and sadly I can''t see Alex Neil stopping the rot. We''re totally bereft of confidence and the players are not responding to the manager. There''s only so may times he can say it''s not good enough or we need to cut out the mistakes. The players ARE good enough but we''re in a downward spiral that''s only going to end one way. Neil is not getting the right response from his players. They''re not up for the fight at the moment and look jaded and out of ideas. The coaching staff are not experienced enough to step in and add fresh ideas and any suggestions of adding a more experienced mentor to help him is nonsense. That just doesn''t work. If the club are happy with relegation then they should stick with Alex Neil and he''ll make a good fist of getting us back up. If they want us to survive, then like Chelsea it''s time to get a new voice in the dressing room while there is still time. Hiddink essentially has the same players but they are now playing with more confidence and belief and as a result are unbeaten in the league under him. Ruddy and Bennett need to come back into the team and players like Bassong who have multiple relegations on their CV need to be dropped. I''m afraid that guy just isn''t bothered one way or the other, history shows that. So Mr McNally what''s your plan B? Plan A is just not working.

What''s concerning me is that should the downward spiral continue & we are playing Championship football next August, is AN going to be able to motivate the players for that?

If we play like this in the Championship it will be a very quick transition back to League 1

Footballers now need to play for a manager, need to be motivated to play, need someone else to build their confidence.Turning into a strange old world isn`t it.

I have to say i agree with most of what has been said, i do think that second half of the season AN is being found out with his lack of experience. Players cannot keep being played out of position, cannot keep making so many changes every game, i want my club playing in the premier league and i have to say i do not think it will be happening if we stay with AN unfortunately, club said last time in premier league if we drop into bottom three we would change manager, will the same happen again?

But the crowd don''t get behind the team and they can''t hear you in the pub or on your sofa. Yes of course they should play for the club or the shirt if you want a cliche. But it''s about believing in the manager, his tactics and that he''s going to turn it round. Like any job if you lose faith in the leadership then you''re not as productive and successful. And to these players it is just a job. It''s all relative and just because they''re paid millions doesn''t mean they behave any differently in the work place. I''m not saying it''s right it''s just human nature. Look at Chelsea last season and this. Couldn''t be more different but don''t tell me those players are less able this year. It''s down to the manager, the buck stops with him and the folks who hire him.

The OP says the players are good enough.

13 of the current squad have been relegated in their careers... failures at other teams with... what makes them good enough?

Newcastle have 4 relegated players... Swansea 1.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]The OP says the players are good enough.

13 of the current squad have been relegated in their careers... failures at other teams with... what makes them good enough?

Newcastle have 4 relegated players... Swansea 1.[/quote]

They were good enough to win 3 out of 4 at Christmas. The problem is the players are having a major wobble, the fans are nervous and Neil is scratching his head thinking where has it all gone wrong. I agree to some extent about the players that have been relegated and their mental strength but bassong is the main worry for me. Bennett and Klose are the ideal pairing. Ruddy needs to come back and we must stop playing howson on out of position. I feel west ham is probably make or break for Neil. If it''s another heavy defeat the knives that have been sharpened will be well and truly out. Let''s hope it doesn''t come to that.

It is so irritating the mentality and fickleness of football fans. A few bad results and they want their clubs manager sacked. AN got us promoted in a glorious playoff final last season. We are lucky to be where we are, because without him we would still be in the Championship. Is it really the end of the world if we do get relegated? Why do clubs and fans not give their managers time before sacking them? I mean a decent amount of time to build something strong. You see it time and time again, new manager, few good results, few bad results, sacked, new manager, few good results, few bad results, sacked. Football always has its ups and downs, its the nature of the sport. Clubs just end up going around in circles. The most successful clubs stick with their managers and give them time, not over months or one bad season, but YEARS. AN is a bright, young manager and I hope he stays for the foreseeable future, weather we are relegated or not!!!

Lots and lots of doom and gloom at work today

Real debate about sticking with AN or twisting but what is clear his position is perilous

West Ham and Leicester now become must win games or he will have to go